Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-16-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

iTouch flashes on and off and I can't stop it... help

I was playing a Scrabble type game with Antmeister and my iTouch turned off by itself. It's been flashing the Apple logo on and off for about 15 minutes now and I'm unable to stop it. It's like it's trying to reboot but it can't. I tried shutting it off but pushing the on/off button at the top and the other button for 10 seconds and it continues on the neverending loop.

I fear it may be over for my iTouch

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 01-16-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Have you tried plugging it in to a power source? If that alone doesn't work, after plugging it in, reset it by: To reset the iPhone or iPod Touch, press and hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button simultaneously at the same time for at least ten seconds, then the LCD display will clear and the Apple logo appears on the black background. When Apple logo appears, reset is done.

No guarantees, of course, but that's usually my first step with iPods.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Have you tried plugging it in to a power source? If that alone doesn't work, after plugging it in, reset it by: To reset the iPhone or iPod Touch, press and hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button simultaneously at the same time for at least ten seconds, then the LCD display will clear and the Apple logo appears on the black background. When Apple logo appears, reset is done.

No guarantees, of course, but that's usually my first step with iPods.

/tk

Yeah, did it a few times and I still see the white apple with the black background. It stays like that for a few seconds then a white flash of light, then black for a nano second, then white apple again with black background. It's done that now for close to half an hour.. I can't stop it. It might keep going 'til the battery drains completely.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Have you tried connecting it to a PC with iTunes installed to see if that will break it out of the loop?
Old 01-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, what JIMGA is the next thing I'd try.

/tk
Old 01-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #6
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

As a side question, did you install anything new recently?

/tk
Old 01-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Have you tried connecting it to a PC with iTunes installed to see if that will break it out of the loop?

Yup, did that and iTunes didn't see it. Not only that, but I restarted Windows and had the iTouch attached and Windows didn't recognize the hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
As a side question, did you install anything new recently?

/tk

The last new application I got was the free version of Words with Friends (like Scrabble).

One thing to note: before this happened, the iTouch locked (where it asks for a password) and it said something like, "Connect to iTunes" which I thought was weird. I did and backed everything up. A few hours later it shut off.

Looks like it died (about an hour after the initial loop). I just turned it back on and the neverending loop again.

Thanks tk, Jon, appreciate your feedback.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
RainMaker
General Manager

Happens to me a lot too. Just part of owning their stuff. I hold the main button and the on/off button for like 30 seconds and see if it boots up again. Otherwise I just try and get it to go off by holding the on/off button.

You may want to try plugging it in and letting it run through it's loop for as long as you can (overnight or whatever). Might just be catching up to your commands.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:40 AM   #9
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Tried to back it up and got error 1611. After googling I did as suggested and it's still looping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Happens to me a lot too. Just part of owning their stuff. I hold the main button and the on/off button for like 30 seconds and see if it boots up again. Otherwise I just try and get it to go off by holding the on/off button.

You may want to try plugging it in and letting it run through it's loop for as long as you can (overnight or whatever). Might just be catching up to your commands.

Yeah I'm gonna let it run overnight and see what happens.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #10
Calis
College Starter

Running into a new problem myself here that has me stumped. My Touch started stopping songs after maybe 10 seconds. I can restart the song and same thing happens. Does this for every song. If I'm in the music screen it just shoots straight back the "desktop" or whatever you call it on the touch like the music is crashing.

Now I just loaded up some new music today, but everything is fine in iTunes and even older songs have this issue.

Weird deal, anyone seen this?

Nothing I've tried seems to help, going to try doing a restore now and see if that fixes it. Hope so.

Last edited by Calis : 01-17-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
DanGarion
Coordinator

DC you probably need to run an advanced restore by putting it into recovery mode.

How to Restore an iPod Touch | eHow.com

#

Plug the iPod Touch into your computer.
#
Step 3

Power on the iPod Touch.
#
Step 4

Press the "Home" and "Sleep/Wake" buttons together for 5 seconds until the Apple logo appears.
#
Step 5

Release the "Sleep/Wake" button but continue holding down the "Home" button. The iPod Touch should reboot, and iTunes will notice the iPod Touch in recovery mode.

Then you do a restore.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just take off the back, and yank out the battery. It's fixed every problem I've ever had with something electronic.

stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #13
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Running into a new problem myself here that has me stumped. My Touch started stopping songs after maybe 10 seconds. I can restart the song and same thing happens. Does this for every song. If I'm in the music screen it just shoots straight back the "desktop" or whatever you call it on the touch like the music is crashing.

Now I just loaded up some new music today, but everything is fine in iTunes and even older songs have this issue.

Weird deal, anyone seen this?

Nothing I've tried seems to help, going to try doing a restore now and see if that fixes it. Hope so.

That's weird, haven't seen it. Hope you're able to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
DC you probably need to run an advanced restore by putting it into recovery mode.

How to Restore an iPod Touch | eHow.com

#

Plug the iPod Touch into your computer.
#
Step 3

Power on the iPod Touch.
#
Step 4

Press the "Home" and "Sleep/Wake" buttons together for 5 seconds until the Apple logo appears.
#
Step 5

Release the "Sleep/Wake" button but continue holding down the "Home" button. The iPod Touch should reboot, and iTunes will notice the iPod Touch in recovery mode.

Then you do a restore.

Yeah, that didn't work either.

I ended up taking it to an Apple Retail Store and they couldn't fix it either so they swapped it. Thank goodness, never realized how much I relied on this little thing.

Thank you all for your input.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #14
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
Did you have Apple care?

No, warranty