Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #51
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

He'll sign with the Browns. That was just their 1st low-ball offer. My guess he'll eventually get 2.5 mil a year for the next 3 years.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #52
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I don't understand this idea where people think when an NFL player signs a contract they are obligated to fulfill it when the team can cut them from any remaining obligation at any time without paying them a dime (signing bonus excluded of course).

I've always had a problem with teams just being to cut a guy without fulfilling their contract. I think teams should be obligated to pay the players if they cut them.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 01-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #53
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

How can his agent threaten a demand for a trade if he says his client didnt have any years left on his contract/
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #54
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I've always had a problem with teams just being to cut a guy without fulfilling their contract. I think teams should be obligated to pay the players if they cut them.

Yeah, guaranteed contracts. I don't have a problem if you feel both sides should fulfill their contract. But as it stands right now, the only recourse players have to counteract the non-guaranteed nature of NFL contracts is to hold out and demand trades and come off as a jackass to those that don't understand that it's their only recourse.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #55
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Quote:

Having attended an actual Browns game I should say that the stadium was more pro-Joshua Cribbs than any other play. I saw more Cribbs jerseys that than of any other current Browns player. They cheered him louder and longer than any other.

Here's the real point. Butts in the seats. Attendance (such as it is) would plummet even more if they let Cribbs go.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #56
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
He'll sign with the Browns. That was just their 1st low-ball offer. My guess he'll eventually get 2.5 mil a year for the next 3 years.

That's my take as well. If they came out with 2.5 mil a year to begin with, they would have had to negotiate up from there.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #57
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
How can his agent threaten a demand for a trade if he says his client didnt have any years left on his contract/

He just meant that Cribbs doesn't plan to honor the remaining years of the contract.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #58
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
He just meant that Cribbs doesn't plan to honor the remaining years of the contract.

ah..guess all this doublespeak and mumblygook confuses this foreigner
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #59
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post

Very simple. A team trading for him would give him a new contract. You wouldn't be stupid enough to trade for him without getting that done.

He's simply better than the contract he signed. Far better. He's one of the top players on that team. We aren't talking starting QB/LT/DE money here. We are talking about 3 million a year for a guy is amazing at what he does, is a clear fan favorite, plays his heart out and is in the prime of his career.

Derek Anderson had a good year and they gave him a big contract. Yet Cribbs has played well for 5 years and you want to pay him like a fourth round pick? Morons.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #60
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Very simple. A team trading for him would give him a new contract. You wouldn't be stupid enough to trade for him without getting that done.

He's simply better than the contract he signed. Far better. He's one of the top players on that team. We aren't talking starting QB/LT/DE money here. We are talking about 3 million a year for a guy is amazing at what he does, is a clear fan favorite, plays his heart out and is in the prime of his career.

Derek Anderson had a good year and they gave him a big contract. Yet Cribbs has played well for 5 years and you want to pay him like a fourth round pick? Morons.
hes played well.... but if you traded him what do you think he would bring in? was he a fourth round pick? that seems about right to me. hes a friggin kick returner.... 1.5 mil sounds like too much for me. if they pay him any more its becasue of fans not ability.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #61
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
hes played well.... but if you traded him what do you think he would bring in? was he a fourth round pick? that seems about right to me. hes a friggin kick returner.... 1.5 mil sounds like too much for me. if they pay him any more its becasue of fans not ability.

He's not JUST a kick returner though!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #62
MajikMan77
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
Here's the real point. Butts in the seats. Attendance (such as it is) would plummet even more if they let Cribbs go.

Being serious about putting a winning product on the field will do that too but they appear not willing todo so, hence the (so far) decision not to up their offer on one of their only good players.
MajikMan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #63
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

He was a UFA pickup

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #64
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
He's not JUST a kick returner though!
ok, hes only USEFUL as a kick returner!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 01-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #65
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I get the feeling a lot of people didn't watch many Browns games this year.

He was quite good in the Wildcat as the team won their last four games. As in, a serious threat rushing the ball.

I would LOVE the Patriots to get him for 2.5 M/year.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #66
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

He averaged 6.9 YPC on 55 carries and had 20 catches, as well. He is useful with the ball in his hands and, aside from 1/4 a season from Jerome Harrison, pretty much the only offensive threat on that team.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #67
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
1.5 million dollars in the NFL is too much for a team's best offensive weapon? A player who is (arguably, I guess) the best at his role in the entire league? Who would they plug in for the $900k Cribbs makes now? He's basically doing three jobs: wildcat QB, kick returner, special teams coverage. So in the interest of saving 1.5 million dollars, the suggestion is that the Browns replace him with at least two other players (a wildcat QB and a special teamer)... then they'd replace him with people who likely aren't as good at either role... and they'd have to burn an extra roster spot... and they'd have to fit these two players into $900k to get the same monetary value, not to even mention the performance value they would undoubtedly lose.

Now why would that be a smart move for the Browns?
Old 01-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #68
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
1.5 million dollars in the NFL is too much for a team's best offensive weapon? A player who is (arguably, I guess) the best at his role in the entire league? Who would they plug in for the $900k Cribbs makes now? He's basically doing three jobs: wildcat QB, kick returner, special teams coverage. So in the interest of saving 1.5 million dollars, the suggestion is that the Browns replace him with at least two other players (a wildcat QB and a special teamer)... then they'd replace him with people who likely aren't as good at either role... and they'd have to burn an extra roster spot... and they'd have to fit these two players into $900k to get the same monetary value, not to even mention the performance value they would undoubtedly lose.

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #69
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I get the feeling a lot of people didn't watch many Browns games this year.

He was quite good in the Wildcat as the team won their last four games. As in, a serious threat rushing the ball.

I would LOVE the Patriots to get him for 2.5 M/year.
did anyone watch a lot of Browns games??
Old 01-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #70
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Well, whatever RedZone allowed me, so I saw the highlights.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #71
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

The mustachioed man speaks the truth.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #72
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
did anyone watch a lot of Browns games??

I did

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 01-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #73
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

You could argue that even if all he did was return kicks and punts that he'd be worth over 3 million dollars.

Devin Hester makes 7 million. Cribbs is worth 3 or more. I don't know how this is even debatable. . . unless like everyone else in the world, you don't watch the actual games the Browns play.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #74
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I did

awww . i'm sorry.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #75
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
You could argue that even if all he did was return kicks and punts that he'd be worth over 3 million dollars.

Devin Hester makes 7 million. Cribbs is worth 3 or more. I don't know how this is even debatable. . . unless like everyone else in the world, you don't watch the actual games the Browns play.

I agree. I am surprised by the anti-Cribbs crowd.

I guess the only argument I could see trying to make is that kick-returners, for whatever reason, seem to "lose it" quite quickly. Devin Hester went from all-world returner to ok returner to not even a returner anymore quite quickly. The Human Joystick and Eddie Drummond also both sort of fell off the map quickly. So, there would appear to be a higher risk than with other positions that paying a KR big money could blow up in your face. Is Hester really worth $7 million right now?

That said, Cribbs is much more than a returner. His ability to run the wildcat offense pretty effectively cannot be overlooked. Other teams have to game plan for that kind of thing and having it as weapon - potential or actual - is an advantage.

Even as a kick returner, however, he's got a lot of value. While the Lions have suffered because a lack of talent across the vast majority of the roster, the lack of any kind of return game has constantly been an issue.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #76
Silver Owl
High School JV

Quote:
I did

Right there with you.
Cribbs is worth more than either one of the so called QB's we have. Pay the man!
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #77
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Owl View Post
Right there with you.
Cribbs is worth more than either one of the so called QB's we have. Pay the man!

Too late!

Cribbs says farewell, "It's over" in Cleveland | ProFootballTalk.com

Browns wide receiver and return man Josh Cribbs says he's finished in Cleveland.

"I said good-bye to some people on the medical staff, some of the equipment guys and the coaches,'' Cribbs told the Cleveland Plain Dealer today. "I wished the coaches luck and told them I hoped they kept their job. But it absolutely felt like the last time I'd be setting foot inside the building. I feel like it's over for me in Cleveland.''

Cribbs, who previously said he doesn't think he fits in new front office boss Mike Holmgren's plans, said he expects Holmgren to trade him during the off-season.

"There's no way I'll play another down for the Browns without the new contract,'' he said. "They won't let me sit, because I have value. They'd be forced to trade me.''

Cribbs said Holmgren made the right call in retaining Browns coach Eric Mangini, but he thinks Holmgren has insulted him by giving him a $1.4 million a year offer that suggests the Browns see him as strictly a special teams player, and not a threat on offense.

"I'm not just insulted by the number, but by the fact they consider me just a kick returner," Cribbs said. "I'm so much more than that. . . . I'm shocked they make me an offer like that after all I've done for this team."

In addition to being a Pro Bowl returner, Cribbs caught 20 passes for 135 yards and ran 55 times for 381 yards this season.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #78
Travis
Pro Rookie

Welcome to life with Holmgren. After seeing how he "used" Seneca Wallace here, Cribbs better get out if he wants to be more than a special teamer.

Of course the caveat is that Holmgren isn't the coach so if Cribbs does come back he could be used in more ways, but I'd be amazed if that happens given how Holmgren tends to view talents like that.

Not saying Holmgren wasn't a good coach in Seattle, but that was certainly one of his major flaws. Potentially the best athlete on the Seahawks pretty much never saw the field during his tenure here (didn't really improve much under Mora either, but that's another thread).
Old 01-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #79
lungs
Pro Rookie

Whatever happened to Dante Hall?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #80
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Too late!

Cribbs says farewell, "It's over" in Cleveland | ProFootballTalk.com

Browns wide receiver and return man Josh Cribbs says he's finished in Cleveland.

"I said good-bye to some people on the medical staff, some of the equipment guys and the coaches,'' Cribbs told the Cleveland Plain Dealer today. "I wished the coaches luck and told them I hoped they kept their job. But it absolutely felt like the last time I'd be setting foot inside the building. I feel like it's over for me in Cleveland.''

Cribbs, who previously said he doesn't think he fits in new front office boss Mike Holmgren's plans, said he expects Holmgren to trade him during the off-season.

"There's no way I'll play another down for the Browns without the new contract,'' he said. "They won't let me sit, because I have value. They'd be forced to trade me.''

Cribbs said Holmgren made the right call in retaining Browns coach Eric Mangini, but he thinks Holmgren has insulted him by giving him a $1.4 million a year offer that suggests the Browns see him as strictly a special teams player, and not a threat on offense.

"I'm not just insulted by the number, but by the fact they consider me just a kick returner," Cribbs said. "I'm so much more than that. . . . I'm shocked they make me an offer like that after all I've done for this team."

In addition to being a Pro Bowl returner, Cribbs caught 20 passes for 135 yards and ran 55 times for 381 yards this season.

meh - I read nothing into this. These are the quotes I've been hearing all day here. I still think he'll be a Brown next year with a new contract.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 01-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #81
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Having watched some Browns' games this year, and being in agreement that he's currently they're best offensive player after Joe Thomas and Jerome Harrison, I'd say he's well worth $3 million/year, and frankly if the NFL goes uncapped he'd probably be a bargain at that rate.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #82
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Having watched some Browns' games this year, and being in agreement that he's currently they're best offensive player after Joe Thomas and Jerome Harrison, I'd say he's well worth $3 million/year, and frankly if the NFL goes uncapped he'd probably be a bargain at that rate.

I thought he was underpaid at 800k and thought a raise to what they're offering was reasonable. For him to call that insulting is a little unreasonable, I think. 3 mil is probably too much for him. Especially since he can't bargain with other teams.

And NFL teams have been preparing for this uncapped year for a while. I don't expect it to be the panacea for players that some expect. I especially expect teams to cut way back on signing bonuses. Cribbs only options will be to play for the Browns for something in the 2 million range, or stock shelves at the Piggly Wiggly for 7.00 an hour with no health insurance.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #83
Blackadar
Retired

As a Steelers fan, I hope they don't pay him and he goes to the NFC. Cribbs is the only guy on the entire Browns team that scares me when the ball is in his hands. Just on his return stats alone - 12 yards per punt return (4th in the NFL), 27.5 per kick return (3rd in the NFL) - he's earned more than the $1.4m. The fact that he also scored 4 return TDs and was pretty good in limited action as a WR/RB just adds to his value. I wouldn't sign him to $4m, but somewhere around $2.5m - $3m is pretty reasonable, especially if your signing bonus is only in the range of $5-$6m. Then if he doesn't perform, you can release him after a couple of years with not much of a penalty.

Last edited by Blackadar : 01-08-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #84
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

interesting note on the blackadar.... I was thinking about this... and I hope they do pay him, go ahead and waste tons of money on a kick returner/wilcat guy. But i admit, having grown up in Cleveland nothing make me happier than seeing the Browns lose

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #85
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
interesting note on the blackadar.... I was thinking about this... and I hope they do pay him, go ahead and waste tons of money on the guy who puts most of our points on the board.
Fixed.

Wait, what?
Old 01-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #86
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
interesting note on the blackadar.... I was thinking about this... and I hope they do pay him, go ahead and waste tons of money on a kick returner/wilcat guy. But i admit, having grown up in Cleveland nothing make me happier than seeing the Browns lose

You do realize that $2.5m or $3m per year isn't a "ton of money" when the last salary cap was $127m (and there's no cap at all next year), don't you? Even at $3.5m, Cribbs would count for only 2.76% of the 2009 entire cap. That gives you an example of how insulting that $1.4m offer was - it's less than they spend on the average player for the Browns. According to this http://www.sportscity.com/NFL/Cleveland-Browns-Salaries, at $1.4m per year he wouldn't even be a top 20 paid guy on the team.

Last edited by Blackadar : 01-08-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #87
Logan
Head Coach

GOD FORBID WE INSULT JOE JUREVICIUS BY PAYING CRIBBS A COMPARABLE SALARY!!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #88
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
GOD FORBID WE INSULT JOE JUREVICIUS BY PAYING CRIBBS A COMPARABLE SALARY!!!!

I'm not sure why the Browns care what Joe Jurevicius thinks seeing as how they cut him last year after he got that staph infection.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #89
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729 View Post
I'm not sure why the Browns care what Joe Jurevicius thinks seeing as how they cut him last year after he got that staph infection.

So Browns management once signed Joe to a deal that enabled him to have a $3MM cap hit a year after cutting him.

I just can't figure out why this franchise never wins.