Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

CES 2010

So it hasn't officially started yet but that hasn't stopped a bunch of crap coming out from it already.

Anyone up for a $3499 72-inch 480Hz LCD (above) with 3D, WirelessHD, Vizio Internet Apps widget platform and Wireless-N? I may get tired of hearing about different tablets coming out, though there will be plenty of other cool stuff I am guessing. I wait to see if Palm will do anything cool with the Pre, guesses are the video gaming side of things should get opened up on it (since the last update a week ago homebrew guys have given us Doom and Quake and there is video of Need For Speed on a Pre).

Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Touch HD2, I drool and wait still.. I also can't wait to hear what Apple has to say about there tablet.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

What's the best a human eye can discern? 90Hz? So, yeah, 480Hz might be a bit of overkill.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
SackAttack
Head Coach

Every year I get the registration forms for this, and every year I tell myself "next year I'll have the money to go."

C'mon, 2010: be flush enough with cash that I can go in 2011.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster View Post
Touch HD2, I drool and wait still.. I also can't wait to hear what Apple has to say about there tablet.

Touch HD2 would be cool if it didn't have WinMo on it. The Google (and HTC) Nexus One which should be announce this week has the Snapdragon processor in it as well, though the review said the speed increase over the Droid isn't all that much.

I am already sick of the Apple table. We already know they will act like they invented tablets, that their tablet is the best even though it isn't, and it will be super great it only works well with their other products.

If I were to get a tablet it would have to be half laptop like the just announce Lenovo IdeaPad U1 Hybrid, two processors, two operating systems, yet they work together... (although the hands on for this doesn't talk real well about the screen right now)

Last edited by Cringer : 01-05-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Comey
College Starter

Google already had their N1 presentation, earlier today.

Live coverage of Google's Android phone announcement | Relevant Results - CNET News

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
Logan
Head Coach

My buddy works for Google and has had the phone for a few weeks, so I messed around with it over the weekend.

The OS sucks.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
Comey
College Starter

I greatly enjoy it on the Droid.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I haven't messed around with an Android phone yet, so I have no take on that OS. I want to though, companies are starting to put out some impressive hardware for it. Right now my dream phone would be the Nexus One hardware with Palm's webOS on it.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
rjolley
College Starter

Any news about which phones Sprint is getting? Hopefully something big...
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Every year I get the registration forms for this, and every year I tell myself "next year I'll have the money to go."

C'mon, 2010: be flush enough with cash that I can go in 2011.

I did that with E3 for like 8 straight years and never went

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
What's the best a human eye can discern? 90Hz? So, yeah, 480Hz might be a bit of overkill.

SI

Theoretically it will just insert 7 fake frames between every real frame. Should help with motion blur more than anything. I think 120hz was more than enough. This is just overkill.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #13
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
So it hasn't officially started yet but that hasn't stopped a bunch of crap coming out from it already.

Anyone up for a $3499 72-inch 480Hz LCD
What is the better TV here.

Your 480Hz 1080P TV or this 120Hz 2160P TV?

Then Again I gues you could always wait for the Quads to be released with their insane 4320P resolution.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

2160 is such overkill. It is probably 5 years or more from being useful.

They keep amping up specs every year. In reality there hasn't been anything in 2 years that has been something I said "damn" when I set it up. The Samsung LED stuff is garbage. I guess the sharp LE700 is the nicest thing I've seen all year.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:21 AM   #15
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
What is the better TV here.

Your 480Hz 1080P TV or this 120Hz 2160P TV?

Then Again I gues you could always wait for the Quads to be released with their insane 4320P resolution.

Does this have 3D? WirelessHD? Wireless N built in? IF so that may be better.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #16
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpOc_...layer_embedded

Now this looks cool.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #17
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I think I this ?might? explain TVs with 480Hz for those guys saying it's overkill. I take it 480Hz is required to do 3D, at least this right up about Toshiba's new TVs suggest that is so....

Quote:
Originally envisioned last year as a 4k x 2k monstrosity, Toshiba's ZX900 Cell TV has been humbled slightly for its market debut. Still, the processing power is what's really on display here, and Toshiba claims that it's packed 143 times the processing power over existing televisions. That processing makes way for Toshiba's Resolution+ upscaling, a 480Hz frame rate (completely ready for 3D), and some home media server capabilities as well. The centerpiece is the Net TV applications, which include Netflix, VUDU, CinemaNow and Pandora, and there's 802.11n WiFi and 1TB of HDD for streaming and storage. There's also mention of video phone capability, but it's unclear if has a built-in webcam (doubtful) or if you've got to bring your own USB number. Unfortunately, the biggest draw of this TV in its Japanese incarnation is its eight tuners, and for whatever reason that special distinction has been removed from this US version. The 55-inch and 65-inch displays use KIRA2 LED-backlit displays with 512 zones of localized dimming, and just in case this was wasn't enough, the sets have built-in Wireless HD and to connect the Cell-packing set-top box to the display wire-free. Of course, once you involve a set-top box you're kind of nullifying some of the magic of building a TV "with a Cell processor," but we'll let it slide. Just this once, Toshiba. Both TVs will be out "later this year" for an undisclosed, sure-to-be-huge price. A press release is after the break.

Last edited by Cringer : 01-06-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #18
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Just catching up on a few things from CES. AT&T had their thing today. Seems like they will not only be getting five Android phones this year but they will also be getting two Palm phones with webOS (gee, I wonder what those are) in the first half of the year. Palm will be on three US carriers, good for them they need it.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #19
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Is anybody else disappointed to see such an emphasis placed on 3D these days?
Old 01-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #20
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

if it leads to some kind of holographic battle chess as seen in Star Wars then I am all for 3D TV.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #21
Comey
College Starter

My girlfriend is quite upset about these 3D developments, as she cannot see 3D.

I see the enthusiasm for it...but, at the same time, I don't.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #22
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Palm made me happy today with announcements of an OTA webOS update coming in February with video recording (and editing) ability with easy online sharing, flash 10.1 for web browsing (and a bigger plus it will be optional as an app in the catalog), a big step up for app developers letting them use C and C++ now in what they will release in March as their PDK (though EA already has hold of it and today Need For Speed and the Sims 3 will hit the App Catalog, yay for real games! edit: looks like several games are available to day, just put up in the catalog).

No big deal to me but good for Palm...the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus will be exclusive to Verizon and for sale on Jan. 25th. Pre Plus has more storage (16 GB) and the Pixi Plus has wifi. The Pre Plus will also have a My Hotspot app to use for wireless tethering of up to 5 devices. Stupid Sprint won't allow tethering, I hope this helps them change their mind but I doubt it.

Last edited by Cringer : 01-07-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #23
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Palm made me happy today with announcements of an OTA webOS update coming in February with video recording (and editing) ability with easy online sharing, flash 10.1 for web browsing (and a bigger plus it will be optional as an app in the catalog), a big step up for app developers letting them use C and C++ now in what they will release in March as their PDK (though EA already has hold of it and today Need For Speed and the Sims 3 will hit the App Catalog, yay for real games! edit: looks like several games are available to day, just put up in the catalog).

No big deal to me but good for Palm...the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus will be exclusive to Verizon and for sale on Jan. 25th. Pre Plus has more storage (16 GB) and the Pixi Plus has wifi. The Pre Plus will also have a My Hotspot app to use for wireless tethering of up to 5 devices. Stupid Sprint won't allow tethering, I hope this helps them change their mind but I doubt it.
in reading a bit more about the My Hotspot app, it sounds like the carriers will be charging extra for the use of the tethering.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #24
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
in reading a bit more about the My Hotspot app, it sounds like the carriers will be charging extra for the use of the tethering.

I laugh you say "carriers" because I saw some official press release or something like that from Palm today that used the term and I thought it was a funny decision to make it plural. The phone is exclusive to Verizon, the app will only be on Verizon. They probably didn't want to say "Hey here is a great new feature, but Verizon will charge you extra to use it." I know this thing is not showing up on Sprint anytime soon, they are anti-tethering right now.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #25
dervack
College Prospect

Well, since Spint allows tethering via mi-fi and the new overdrive, I wouldn't be surprised to see my Hotspot on sprint too. Granted, the purpose of those devices is to tether, but I digress.

edit: Reading on another site, it seems that it's Pre and pixi Plus exclusives, so it doesn't rule out whomever gets those phones in the future, if anyone else gets them.

Last edited by dervack : 01-07-2010 at 10:41 PM.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote