Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Ping: Bruce Willis, We Need You

The Russian Plan To Blow Up An Asteroid To Prevent Armageddon

Quote:
The Russian Plan To Blow Up An Asteroid To Prevent Armageddon

Russia's space program is considering launching a spacecraft in order to blow up an Asteroid.

Apparently, this particular hunk of rock had a 1-in-37 chance of hitting Earth in 2029 - a number both Russia and the U.S. are none too pleased with.

----------------------------------------------

AP: Russia's space chief said Wednesday his agency will consider sending a spacecraft to a large asteroid to knock it off its path and prevent a possible collision with Earth.

Anatoly Perminov said the space agency will hold a meeting soon to assess a mission to Apophis, telling Golos Rossii radio that it would invite NASA, the European Space Agency, the Chinese space agency and others to join the project once it is finalized.

When the 270-meter (885-foot) asteroid was first discovered in 2004, astronomers estimated the chances of it smashing into Earth in its first flyby in 2029 were as high as 1-in-37.

Further studies ruled out the possibility of an impact in 2029, when the asteroid is expected to come no closer than 18,300 miles (29,450 kilometers) above Earth's surface, but they indicated a small possibility of a hit on subsequent encounters.

In October, NASA lowered the odds that Apophis could hit Earth in 2036 from a 1-in-45,000 as earlier thought to a 1-in-250,000 chance after researchers recalculated the asteroid's path. It said another close encounter in 2068 will involve a 1-in-330,000 chance of impact.

Scientists have long theorized about asteroid deflection strategies. Some have proposed sending a probe to circle around a dangerous asteroid to gradually change its trajectory. Others suggested sending a spacecraft to collide with the asteroid and alter its momentum, or using nuclear weapons to hit it.

Without mentioning NASA findings, Perminov said that he heard from a scientist that Apophis is getting closer and may hit the planet. "I don't remember exactly, but it seems to me it could hit the Earth by 2032," Perminov said.

He wouldn't disclose any details of the project, saying they still need to be worked out. But he said the mission wouldn't require any nuclear explosions.

Hollywood action films "Deep Impact" and "Armageddon," have featured space missions scrambling to avoid catastrophic collisions. In both movies space crews use nuclear bombs in an attempt to prevent collisions.

"Calculations show that it's possible to create a special purpose spacecraft within the time we have, which would help avoid the collision without destroying it (the asteroid) and without detonating any nuclear charges," Perminov said. "The threat of collision can be averted."

"People's lives are at stake. We should pay several hundred million dollars and build a system that would allow to prevent a collision, rather than sit and wait for it to happen and kill hundreds of thousands of people," he added.

Boris Shustov, the director of the Institute of Astronomy under the Russian Academy of Sciences, hailed Perminov's statement as a signal that officials had come to recognize the danger posed by asteroids.

"Apophis is just a symbolic example, there are many other dangerous objects we know little about," he said, according to RIA Novosti news agency.

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

So they start the article saying 1 in 37 chance and then bury the fact those odds are ruled out later in the article.

Anyone have money to put on this? They decide to try this on a asteroid that is now not going to hit us and the plan screws up and puts it on a collision course with us...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I don't wanna close my eyes...
Old 12-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

Intrade should set up a market for this.

Code:
WORLD DESTROYED BY ASTEROID ON OR BEFORE DEC 31 2029 Bid 8.1 Ask 11.4

What do you root for?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
So they start the article saying 1 in 37 chance and then bury the fact those odds are ruled out later in the article.

Anyone have money to put on this? They decide to try this on a asteroid that is now not going to hit us and the plan screws up and puts it on a collision course with us...

I'm pretty much expecting this. Hasn't everything the Russians attempted to do outside of LEO end up with a crash? All their Mars/Moon landers, etc.?
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I hope the Russians love their children too.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

...I don't wanna fall asleep...
Old 12-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lemme play with animal crackers on Liv Tyler's belly any day of the week. Please
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Intrade should set up a market for this.

Code:
WORLD DESTROYED BY ASTEROID ON OR BEFORE DEC 31 2029 Bid 8.1 Ask 11.4

What do you root for?

So, uh, how do you collect if you're right and the asteroid does hit the earth?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
Edward64
Head Coach

I actually prefer Robert Duvall.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #11
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
So, uh, how do you collect if you're right and the asteroid does hit the earth?

SI

That was the joke...
Old 01-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
JediKooter
Coordinator

No worries, Obama will 'change' its course.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
That was the joke...

Comedian: I finally got around to reading the dictionary...turns out the Zebra did it (crowd laughs)
Homer: I don't get it
Lisa: Dad, the Zebra didn't do it, its just a word at the end of the dictionary
Homer: I still don't get it.
Lisa: It's just a joke
Homer: Oooh! I get it! I get jokes.. ahahahahahahaha

D'oh

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote