Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-30-2007, 10:52 PM   #1
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

GPS Navigation Systems

So, I was fortunate enough to win a trivia contest that yielded a $50 gift certificate to Best Buy. I have been thinking about getting a GPS navigation system for a while and with the gift certificate this seems like as good a time as any (???). My reason, more than anything else, is because I am going to be going away to law school in the summer/fall and will be in a totally new place. That seems like a great reason to have one of these things. (Is this a bad reason???)

So, I was wondering if anybody could offer any insight. I've been looking at the TomTom StreetPilot. It seems very "robust". It announces street names which is a feature some other models don't have, which is something I would like. But the big thing is that I like that it seems to be one of the simplest ones to operate. Is this true? Does anyone that has a GPS not like the fact that the StreetPilot is kind of bulky? Does that get annoying? Are there better values out there (StreetPilot is listed at $300)? Thoughts in general???

Thanks,
~rpi-fan

RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:23 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

"Streetpilot" is a garmin word, not a tom tom I'm pretty sure. I'd look at the Garmin Nuvi 350. Nice and pocket sized, it does the street names and probably everything you need. Pretty highly rated by Consumer Reports as well. Does street by street calling out which is nice as well. I think the Battery is like 5 hours charged, which is nice cause if you go out on the town, you can still find your way back home if you get lost

http://www.walmart.com/cart.gsp?add_list=4407763,1|

Price match walmart.com's $332 at Bestbuy if they'll let you.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:16 AM   #3
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I use this thing called a map. Road signs work well with it. When I get real crazy I will call where I am going and get directions from a main road/highway.

I think they are useless. But not everyone is as good at driving as I am so I can understand why they are bought.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:21 AM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I use this thing called a map. Road signs work well with it. When I get real crazy I will call where I am going and get directions from a main road/highway.

I think they are useless. But not everyone is as good at driving as I am so I can understand why they are bought.

hey we can't all be transportation professionals.

that being said...i too use maps. Although my phone has microsoft livesearch turn-by-turn directions built in (but not audible)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:20 AM   #5
samifan24
Pro Starter

I bought a Garmin StreetPilot C330 this spring and am very happy with it. The only thing it doesn't do is speak the names of streets but I knew that going in (available on a fancier model). I saw this same model at Wal-Mart last week for around $150, which is a very good deal.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:08 AM   #6
Galaril
Pro Starter

I looking to get one of these. The gps Nuvi 350 is only $240 at Amazon. I am also interested in the Garmin Nuvi 650/660 series with the bigger screen.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:10 AM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I have a tom tom and love it
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I'm bumping this thread as I'm interested in one of these units.

I'm looking at the Garmin Nuvi 660.

The Amazon reviews have a number of folks saying essentially that the system is occasionally wrong with key details like "turn left" or "turn right". I'm having trouble reconciling that with the number of folks giving the thing a five star rating.

Anyone out there using the Garmin Nuvis?
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
MJ4H
Coordinator

Maps don't help you find the geocaches.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #10
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Oh, well, might as well follow up on my original post... ended up narrowing it down between the Magellen 4050, Nuvi 650 (or 660 whatever it is), and TomTom GO 720. Picked the TomTom because it has the most bells and whistles. I was willing to sacrifice a little "robustness" for some of the features it had.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:31 PM   #11
SegRat
High School Varsity

I have the Nuvi 660 and love it. It does everything very well.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #12
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

My folks both have Nuvi's (my dad the 350, my mom something widescreen, don't remember which off the top of my head). My sister has the Garmin StreetPilot.

I have a built-in nav system in my car and a TomTom setup with my PDA. I like the Nuvi's that my family has so much, and think they're so much better than my built-in unit AND my TomTom, I'm looking to buy a Nuvi in the next 6 months or so.

Go Nuvi.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I use a map too. It sits on the dashboard, and automatically turns the pages and zooms in and out based on my current position at the time. It's awesome.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:21 PM   #14
MJ4H
Coordinator

You should let your wife sit in the passenger seat dude.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #15
Anthony
Banned

Quote:

of the few times that i go somewhere that i'm not familiar with - i just go to maps.com and print out the directions. i don't get the concept of navigation systems. how often do people get lost that these are worthwhile devices? if a trucker doesn't need one i can't see how anyone else would *need* one. to each his own.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #16
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
of the few times that i go somewhere that i'm not familiar with - i just go to maps.com and print out the directions. i don't get the concept of navigation systems. how often do people get lost that these are worthwhile devices? if a trucker doesn't need one i can't see how anyone else would *need* one. to each his own.

The answer is, you hardly ever need it. But when you do need it, boy are you glad you have it.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:35 PM   #17
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Its a toy. Plus I've found that a great deal of the anxiety I feel when I travel is related to not knowing how to get to where I'm going. This provides that solution. To top that off, my dentist's office is downtown, and I can never remember the cross streets. So this should help.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:35 PM   #18
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

I don't need one, I did fine without one for 27 years. However, I've driven across the country once without a GPS (just a printout from maps.com) and once with one and guess which one was a hell of a lot easier?

When I was new to the Tacoma/Seattle area it was fantastic to have as well. If the wife and I wanted to go somewhere we didn't have to search on the internet or ask around to find out where something was. We could be in downtown Tacoma and do a search for someplace we felt like going and immediately have directions to the closest one.

Its a luxury, no doubt, but one that has a very practical use.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #19
MJ4H
Coordinator

I don't need one and I'd love to have one. I have gone geocaching with some friends (which requires a GPS) and had a lot of fun. Plus, I can imagine it making travelling a lot easier.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #20
Anthony
Banned

what's geocaching?

i will say one time we needed to drive from NYC to Cape Cod and i used the navigation feature in my cell phone and it was very good, to the point where we tossed the printed out directions and just followed the navigation. so i will admit it's great if you have it. i'm just saying the amount of times i would have a need for one is extremely few and far between. i get in my car and...i know where i need to go. i save the adventures for video games.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #21
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I just bought a Magellean Maestro 3225 from Costco for $150. The next week I had a business trip to LA. Landed at Burbank, popped in the address I was destined for and it safely led me to Beverly Hills and to my destination. I think a map would have been a lot more difficult. With the aggressive drivers out there it was best to keep my eyes on the road and just listen to the turn prompts.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:56 PM   #22
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
what's geocaching?

Kind of a scavenger hunt using GPS. You are given the exact coordinates of an object and you drive out into the boonies and track it down. You can then sign off an a little notepad inside, write a note about your journey, etc. Also, there are usually some happy-meal level trinkets inside, and you can take one and leave one. It's really just an excuse to go hunting for it. Geocaching can take you to some really interesting places that you would, let's just say, not normally happen by? I'm not really into it, but I have friends that are. I went with them on a couple and it was aight. I can see the appeal. I think www.geocaching.com has more info on it if it sounds like fun. Haven't been there but I think I was directed there by one of them the night before (I didn't bother).
Old 03-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #23
Anthony
Banned

wow, that sounds cool.

and creepy, if you're a rapist or serial killer and you are the "happy meal" waiting to be found. but it does sound like something fun to do.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:12 PM   #24
molson
General Manager

Quote:
of the few times that i go somewhere that i'm not familiar with - i just go to maps.com and print out the directions.

The luxury of not having to do that every time is worth it in itself. And you don't always have easy access to the internet (or a printer) when you're traveling. It's nice to get a quick list of local restaurants, with immediate directions.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #25
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I just got a Garmin for my birthday, but I'm thinking of returning it and getting a Navigon, since that comes with free traffic updates (no monthly fee). Anyone know anything about those?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #26
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I use to agree with you 100%, then I won some stupid drawing at a charity even and got a TomTom free, and I love it.

My job requires that I stay on the road almost constantly, and on a daily basis I am going somewheere in my own hometown I have never been (usually inside a neighborhood, etc.) and it couldnt be simpler.

Also when we were in Atlanta a month back or so and there was a major wreck, I simply tapped for an alternate rroute and thee thing had me off an exit ramp and God knows where in seconds. 10 minutes later I get the turn right and merge onto I85 N and Viola no we are rolling. The 2 coolest things though, and I cant state the vaalue of this in a city like Charlotte are "Turn Right and merge to left lane to prepare to turn left in 400 yards" or "turn right and get in center lane to avoid turn lane traffic"

Also I have the model that interacts with the DOT system, if there is a wreck it will detour me BEFORE I get to the traffic jam most times
. Knowing what i know now, I would have bought mine for 5x the price years ago.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #27
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

My wife wanted to take the kids to visit the Jelly Belly factory yesterday, and I used that as the leverage to spring on a Garmin. "You know, then we could go into the city for dinner"..."You know how hard it is to find anything in the City. That GPS would come in handy".

When we started out on our trip, she declared it as "cool", but not $350 cool. After successfully returning from our trip yesterday, she declared that it was afterall probably "worth it".

In any case this thing was great. We wanted to find a seafood place, and all we had to do was enter the selection and scroll through the options to find a good choice. Then the thing took us right to it, and right home from there. No anxiety, the darn thing was flawless througout the whole exercise.

Oh we went with the Garmin Nuvi 660. So Far So Good.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #28
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
My BB Curve has TeleNav maps built in, I added a $5.99 a month plan which gives me 10 maps/directions. I wasn't 100% sure I'd use it but for $6 a month figured it was worth having just in case. Actually used it this morning to get to my son's soccer game and it was great...2 other parents who printed directions off the internet got lost b/c of 2 similar street names, but the GPS directions were perfect. Don't think I'd invest in a whole system, but for $6 a month, totally worth it and I like that it's always with me even if I riding in a different car...
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #29
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

On the GPS need front. Now my wife has declared that She needs one of her own.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #30
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I drive about 40K miles a year and I too like these "MAP" gps systems. I hear they have been around a while.

If I'm really lost, I cheat with my laptop. There's this neat site called Google that has maps on it and it helps me find things.

(that said, if anyone wants to buy me a GPS, I'd use it. Begrudgingly, of course )

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-22-2008 at 02:54 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:33 PM   #31
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I drive about 40K miles a year and I too like these "MAP" gps systems. I hear they have been around a while.

If I'm really lost, I cheat with my laptop. There's this neat site called Google that has maps on it and it helps me find things.

(that said, if anyone wants to buy me a GPS, I'd use it. Begrudgingly, of course )

SI

Is that all in the same town?
To the same locations?
If not, I'll make a wager with ya.
You buy one, use it for 30 days if you dont want it after that Ill buy it for what you paid plus pay shipping to get it to me and Ill give it to my quality control guy. Pm me if you are interested and we will discuss which model etc. and a pay up if you are happy with it.

After living by the laptop and wireless card, there really isnt any difference. Never looking down at your directions.
Never mis reading a road sign.
Never missing a turn or exit and trying to back find your way....
And the traffic alerts are priceless.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #32
MJ4H
Coordinator

Got a TomTom XL One for Christmas. Lots of fun. I knew I'd love having one of these, and I do. I am definitely going to get into geocaching, though I had to install a 3rd party program called OffRoad Navigator to make it tolerable with this TomTom (the software for which is pretty much strictly designed for on-road travel).

Anyone else into geocaching? I know there was a mini-dynasty thread about it in the archives which I just read through, but I haven't heard anything else about it on here, and I'm sure a lot here would love it.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:29 AM   #33
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

I have map in my memory and great sense of direction, but even I find use out of my GPS in my car.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:53 AM   #34
SackAttack
Head Coach

The only issue I've had with the GPS I got for Christmas last year is that when the maps are wrong, they're REALLY wrong.

"Here, drive across the river at this point where A MAGICAL INVISIBLE BRIDGE EXISTS. No, stop, dumbass. Where are you going? Why are you going that way? Oh, great, now you're crossing the river on a bridge that certainly isn't on MY maps. Don't come crying to me when you dro--hey, how did you get back on the route?"

But as someone upthread said, it beats having to take one's eyes off the road to consult printed-out directions or a laptop. It's just one of those things where I know going in that the route it gives me will be generally right, but may have a surprise or two for me if I don't pay attention to my driving even with its assistance.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #35
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I use this thing called a pencil. Paper works well with it. When I get real crazy I will use a pen or a marker to make it easier to read.

I think printers are useless. But not everyone is as good at writing as I am so I can understand why they are bought.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 12-26-2009 at 02:53 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #36
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Anyone else into geocaching? I know there was a mini-dynasty thread about it in the archives which I just read through, but I haven't heard anything else about it on here, and I'm sure a lot here would love it.

I don't think street GPSs work really well for Geocaching, but I could be wrong. I've been curious to do it before since we do a lot of silly local traveling which would be perfect. And now my phone has a cheap, built in GPS so I might be able to use it (still use maps more than anything, tho).

Anyone with more insight?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:43 PM   #37
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I don't think street GPSs work really well for Geocaching, but I could be wrong. I've been curious to do it before since we do a lot of silly local traveling which would be perfect. And now my phone has a cheap, built in GPS so I might be able to use it (still use maps more than anything, tho).

Anyone with more insight?

SI

I downloaded a program called Off-Road Navigator and installed it to the GPS specifically for the purpose. Went and hit 3 sites today and found all 3. Works great. If you just use the roadmap software that comes installed on it, no, it is awful and probably impossible to use for the purpose.

Installing Off-Road Navigator was really easy, though.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #38
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I have a Nuvi 360. Honestly I thought I would use it more. It is nice for finding places once.

However if anyone knows of something like this, lemme know. A GPS that I can input starting mileage into every day. And then tracks it for a delivery route and at the end of the day I can export the mileage into something like excel for tax purposes. I keep a manual log now, and was thinking that in tax time this would be easier.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #39
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

There's a Garmin GPS that I believe can handle both road and trail navigation, but you'd pay a premium on it. I think it's something like 550 or some other 500-series model number.

At any rate, we got a GPS for Christmas and I've been fiddling with it. Seems to work generally well, but as with any GPS, it's not going to know everything and it's not going to know your shortcuts and backroads to get to various places. At least the one we got isn't pig-headed about trying to force us to stay with the route it chooses and just recalculates. I do need to see what needs to be done to update since we went to Ikea today and it didn't have the foggiest idea of what we were doing since we were out in the sticks somewhere in its opinion (which I guess is to be expected since the Ikea here has only been open for a year or so). I'm particularly interested in getting the lifetime updating license that Amazon sells.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #40
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd hook it up to the internet. I think Garmin gives you a free update the first time.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #41
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I have a Nuvi 360. Honestly I thought I would use it more. It is nice for finding places once.

However if anyone knows of something like this, lemme know. A GPS that I can input starting mileage into every day. And then tracks it for a delivery route and at the end of the day I can export the mileage into something like excel for tax purposes. I keep a manual log now, and was thinking that in tax time this would be easier.

You might look into 3rd party software for your device. A quick glance at this:

Le Web Bazar !!! Tripmaster !!!

hints that it may be able to do what you want.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:52 PM   #42
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Got a TomTom XL One for Christmas. Lots of fun. I knew I'd love having one of these, and I do. I am definitely going to get into geocaching, though I had to install a 3rd party program called OffRoad Navigator to make it tolerable with this TomTom (the software for which is pretty much strictly designed for on-road travel).

I use a handheld Garmin for geocaching. I have a TomTom for use on the road.

I've only found a couple of geocaches since I moved to Pennsylvania 4+ years ago. I'd really like to find some more, but I'm not really up for it now that we're into winter.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:17 PM   #43
MikeVic
Head Coach

I got a TomTom GO 730 on Boxing Day (mainly for the Bluetooth hands-free stuff, but the GPS is a neat add-on )...

Does anyone know what the POI icon that looks like a torch represents? It's even yellow-coloured. I thought at first it was a Shell gas station POI, but I've seen them pop up at locations that are clearly not even gas stations...
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:48 AM   #44
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Does anyone know what the POI icon that looks like a torch represents? It's even yellow-coloured. I thought at first it was a Shell gas station POI, but I've seen them pop up at locations that are clearly not even gas stations...

Do a Navigate To, pick Point of Interest, then browse through the categories to find the icon, if no one else can help you.