Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-28-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Contributing to Wikipedia

Thanks to the wonders of being a teacher I have some free time on my hands for the first time in a while and would like to do something productive with it, so I thought I would do some Wikipedia editing. I last was a real editor about 4.5 years ago and in the interim Wikipedia has gotten a lot more professional, which as a user and teacher I find wonderful, however in this case I find slightly intimidating.

I know that there are certain areas where I could really help and would love to get involved in helping with a project, but it seems like just to get up to speed I would need to invest hours of learning current standards. Am I mistaken? Is a project not the best way to go? Is there a good way for an editor to get up to speed on current standards? I really would like to help, but at this point it seems like too big of a hassle and so instead I'll just buy another computer game to play or read a couple more books.

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 12-28-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

OMG!!!!

BARKEEP - YOU'RE ALIVE!!!!

yay!!!!!

(I mean we all knew you were still ALIVE...just hadn't seen you round these parts)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Barkeep:

I think the best thing you can do is learn the style conventions and the politics

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I agree Airhog. I believe there are some people around who are involved w/Wikipedia (I remember some even being an Admin) and was hoping I could get some direction or insight from them.

And yes I haven't been around these parts much. Haven't really had the time. I anticipate in about a week I will once again no longer have the time, unfortunately.

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 12-28-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Actually, not only am I an administrator, I was just elected to the Arbitration Committee (and early indications are the amount of time you need for that job pretty much makes it a second job, if not a first job!)

What do you need to know, etcetera?
Old 12-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I agree Airhog. I believe there are some people around who are involved w/Wikipedia (I remember some even being an Admin) and was hoping I could get some direction or insight from them.

And yes I haven't been around these parts much. Haven't really had the time. I anticipate in about a week I will once again no longer have the time, unfortunately.

yes yes - i remember you had no time. just wanted to give you a big momentary welcome-back cheer!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote