Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

One of my favorite Trojans

Kicker Jordan Congdon has frustrated me on the field at times this year, but there is no doubt that he is a great representative of the school. Here is an article from the Daily Trojan about his good works:

No kicker to USC senior Congdon's passion
By Jill Painter, Staff Writer
Updated: 12/24/2009 09:26:27 PM PST

Jordan Congdon pondered quitting his gig as USC's kicker many times.

You know the kicker stereotype. They're the scrawny guys free safety Taylor Mays could use to do the human bench press with one hand. Some folks think they goof around most of practice until special-teams drills, then kick a few field goals.

Congdon figured he could be doing so much more with his time in the afternoons, but studying or hanging out with friends wasn't part of it.

Congdon longed to spend more time with the homeless children of Skid Row. He wasn't convinced spending a few hours biding his time in pads, which never featured grass stains, was his calling.

"I saw it as a waste of time," Congdon said. "I was looking at these kids on Skid Row and how they affected me so much. I thought, `I could be working with these kids instead."'

He resisted the urge to give up football and realized the relationships he formed and competition was beneficial. His connection to Trojans football aids the children, too. Congdon is no fool. He knows bringing in featured guests like Mays has much more cachet than his right foot.

Congdon, a senior, will kick for the final time in his collegiate career as USC plays Boston College in Saturday's Emerald Bowl.

This is the end of his athletic career but the beginning of his unwavering dedication to helping people.

He's the son of two ministers and is deeply religious but doesn't pressure his teammates to attend bible studies or share the gospel. Congdon does, however, ask if they'd go with him to Mexico to help build a home or Watts to conduct football camps or downtown to spread a positive message to those who sleep on the streets.

"Serving is a good thing, and people don't really question it," Congdon said. "Some people are super upfront that you need to be a Christian. Serving is the way I do it. I serve and love 100 percent.

"They'll see more in that. I show them with my life, and if they have questions I'll answer them."

While on spring break, some co-eds at USC might live it up in Cancun, but Congdon is almost 3,000 miles away building a home for a poverty-stricken family in Tecate, Mexico. Congdon leads a weekly bible study as an Athlete in Action leader. He works in Central City, a place in downtown where families can bring their kids for food, clothes, help with their studies and inspirational talks from Congdon.

Instead of pining for the NFL or applying for jobs, Congdon is finishing his application for Princeton's seminary school.

Just another quirky kicker, right?

Congdon wrote his seminary application essay on how religion isn't confined to the church on Sundays. He had USC coach Pete Carroll write one of his recommendation letters, although Congdon opted against reading the letters.

"His heart is really about giving and reaching out," Carroll said. "Watching him, I've been really impressed with who he is, the things he's willing to do and the people he's willing to help. He's doing the right stuff."

Congdon started kicking at Nebraska, then transferred to USC in 2007 because of what he said were family issues. He sat one year because of transfer rules, then sat behind kicker David Buehler for one year.

That's when he thought about quitting football.

But he liked hanging out with Carroll, who has fun and lively practices and does a lot of work in his own charitable organization, "A Better L.A."

They have bonded over their shared interests in helping people.

His parents, Gayla and Scott, once had a meeting with Carroll and most of the 45 minutes was spent discussing their common desire to see people turn their lives around.

Congdon's parents moved their family in City Heights in San Diego, a multi-ethnic inner city, when Jordan was 2. The sound of gun shots was normal. Jordan became fluent in Spanish as a young boy. The Congdons started a non-profit organization, Amor Ministries, which helps organize group trips to Mexico and South Africa to build homes for the poor. They have 35 full-time staffers.

Kids of ministers sometimes tend to rebel. Congdon said he hasn't been the perfect child, but he has embraced his parents' philosophy of giving.

"As a parent, it's such a phenomenal thing to watch your child interact and what they do and see response of people," Gayla Congdon said. "One thing we taught him by living in inner city was that you can't really identify with someone if you didn't grow up the same way.

"But they know when you love them. They very much look you in the eyes and wonder, `Are you here because you love me or because it sways your guilt?' It's not a project. People aren't projects. They're to love."

Congdon doesn't even do birthdays like most kids. His mom told him a long time ago he needed to come up with an idea he was passionate about to help people.

As an 8-year-old, Congdon and his buddy decided birthday presents they received would be donated to needy children. For 10 years, Congdon passed on birthday gifts to children - some of whom had never received one before. He called it "Project Love Tide." Gayla estimated they donated more than 1,000 toys through their efforts.

Congdon celebrated his birthday at the ESPNZone on Dec.15 and told friends in lieu of gifts he hoped people would donate money. His birthday money means three families in Mexico will have clean water for life.

D.J. Shoemate, Congdon's best friend on the team, went along to Tecate to build homes during spring break last year, as did teammates Shane and Wes Horton.

They slept in tents. They helped make concrete. They built the foundation. They also watched with joy as a family moved into their own home.

"He's definitely showed me a lot of things," Shoemate said.

"Basically all the people that go to Mexico are willing to get their hands dirty. We put up a whole house. It's just awesome. I've learned so much from him, and his character speaks volumes."

Congdon said the families usually cry.

"It's hard. My mom says the day she'll stop working in Mexico is the day it stops affecting her," Congdon said. "If you go there and it doesn't affect you, something is wrong. Kids shouldn't have to live that way. I don't want to say it gets easier, but you get more used to seeing it. I still go and start crying.

"We see that and don't realize the rest of the world is worse. I was riding with my mom one day and asked her, `How did we let it get this way?"'

Congdon has saved up enough money so he can continue to live near USC's campus and serve folks downtown. He'll have more time now that he has completed his degree and won't have practice anymore. He'll spend a month in Mexico and continue his work in Los Angeles.

He'll also travel with his mom to do speaking engagements in Oregon and London.

Congdon feels free now that he has all the time in the world to make it a better place. He hopes to start that journey with seminary school.

"I feel this is what I need to do," he said. "I don't know what I'm going to do yet, whether it's be a pastor or go into full-time ministry or what. I've always planned on teaching and coaching.

"No matter what, I'll have a good biblical background wherever I go and whatever I do. Teaching would be the whole goal. I love working with kids. That's where I think I'll be best used."

He's one kicker with plenty more cachet than he thinks.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
kcchief19
Pro Starter

There's got to be joke in there somewhere about a favorite Trojan named Congdon.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:46 AM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

A good Trojan is an oxymoron. But it's nice to see a positive piece about someone on that team
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:59 AM   #4
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Nothing I can say but, good job, dude. I could take a page out of his book.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
There's got to be joke in there somewhere about a favorite Trojan named Congdon.

I was all ready to respond "Ribbed". I just assumed there was a poll in this thread.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

I use magnums

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote