Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-24-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
cougarfreak
College Starter

The joys of the holidays..............

Ahhhhhhh the joys of Christmas. Just called my father to remind him we're coming over today, and he gets all pissy because I'm not coming over on the actual Christmas Day. The spirit and love of the holidays is overwhelming me. God forbid someone want his kids to stay home all day on Christmas and play with their toys. You see, his wife has all 433 members of her family over tomorrow, and the last couple years my kids didn't get to spend any time with him over there, as he was entertaining them, so I decided to do it this way. Anyone else with little kids (mine are 2 and 3) stay home to avoid dragging the kids to 17 places on Christmas?

cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

We went to my parents' house last weekend since my only sister could also come there that weekend. Had a lot of fun and no one even cared that we were opening presents a week early.

Tomorrow, we'll be at home chilling out on Christmas Day with only my wife's father coming over. Should be nice to relax and take it easy.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Have stayed home every Christmas since Will was born. As far as people go, the day pretty much belongs to him & I'm not inclined to drag him all over the universe and screw it up for him.

Remember it was 4-5 hours to one set of grandparents & 2'ish to the other & not entirely in the same direction, and since it was either tick off one set who didn't get Christmas Day or spend the entire day in the car while spending little time at either place, staying home seemed like the only rational thing to do.

They're kids, they often look forward to the Christmas bounty for weeks, and they're only little once. As far as I'm concerned kids growing up today deserve to actually enjoy what little time they get to be, you know, kids.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
gstelmack
Pro Starter

We're firm believers in Christmas morning at home for the kids. When they get older, maybe we travel some, but Christmas morning is all for the kids at their own house.

One set of grandparents lives 5 minutes away, and since my dad just had knee surgery we will head over there tomorrow EVENING. Other set is a 12-13 hour drive, and they are hoping to get here early next week. I have one brother who lives about 15 minutes away, they will meet us at our parents' place tomorrow. Definitely no way we'd travel to 17 different places; if both grandparents lived close, we MIGHT travel to each during the afternoon / evening, but more likely they'd end up over here in the morning watching the kids open presents.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
more likely they'd end up over here in the morning watching the kids open presents.

Which is what the more distant set of grandparents did for a number of years. And a good time was had by all.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
cougarfreak
College Starter

My dad's just been an ass ever since he married this woman, he started dating her 3 months after my mom died, and she has always intentionally put herself smack dab in between him and his kids. I've drawn the line this year, and he doesn't like it.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
Warhammer
Pro Starter

We have a system in where we alternate Christmases with my wife's family and mine. Her family is a 12-13 hour drive so we typically make a week of it, but it works.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Ahhhhhhh the joys of Christmas. Just called my father to remind him we're coming over today, and he gets all pissy because I'm not coming over on the actual Christmas Day. The spirit and love of the holidays is overwhelming me. God forbid someone want his kids to stay home all day on Christmas and play with their toys. You see, his wife has all 433 members of her family over tomorrow, and the last couple years my kids didn't get to spend any time with him over there, as he was entertaining them, so I decided to do it this way. Anyone else with little kids (mine are 2 and 3) stay home to avoid dragging the kids to 17 places on Christmas?

Ditto. Mine are 3 and 1 and our usual Christmas routine has been at least 3 dinners but usually 4 and probably about 8 hours of driving in three days. None of us gets any sleep and we all eventually end up getting sick during the holidays. Enough is enough. We told everybody where we would be on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and if anybody would like to stop over feel free to do so...we'll have lots to eat and drink and the kids will gladly open any presents they want to bring.

We pissed off a few aunties and uncles but that's life.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
Philliesfan980
Banned

Anyone who can't understand why people with young children want to stay home for the holidays is absolutely clueless and deserve to get punched in the face.

Happy Holidays.

Last edited by Philliesfan980 : 12-24-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #10
MacroGuru
Coordinator

2nd year straight we have stayed home in Buffalo....It's not like if we wanted to travel for family it would be cheap...you know a 2 day drive or around 2500 in airfare..

Throughout the day today the wife will get depressed that we aren't going to be at her families party tonight but we will make do with the 5 of us here and enjoying Christmas.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

How does anyone live in the same state as their family? We're 2,000 miles away, and it's still a little cramped at times.

Sure it would be nice now that we have a kid if the grandparents could see him more, but that's what skype is for.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
rowech
Pro Starter

Glad to know everyone else has the same trouble. In an effort to keep our family together, my wife and I are having my family over. Of course, in priceless fashion, my dad volunteers to work Christmas Eve and Christmas Day so he can avoid a lot of tension between my aunt and him as well as between him and myself.

While we don't have kids, a couple of years back, we told both sides of our family that we would spend Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve with one side and Christmas Day with the other side. If we don't see you a particular day and you would like to see us, you're more than welcome to drive over and see us.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #13
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

We go over to my wife's mother in the afternoon, then followed by her Dad that evening. We do Christmas with just us in the morning followed by getting together with my family at whomever decides to have it that Christmas. It has worked out good for 5 years.

I don't see Christmas morning ever changing as I just want that to be time for me, my wife and kids.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
Anyone who can't understand why people with young children want to stay home for the holidays is absolutely clueless and deserve to get punched in the face.

Happy Holidays.

This sounds really funny from someone in Philadelphia

"Hey, Santa, c'mere! We've got a present for ya!"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-24-2009 at 11:26 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I used to hate it when my parents would drag me to visit in laws all day on XMAS. Like, hey, here's your new Sega Genesis, but it's time to leave it behind and go to your aunt's house.

We usually go over to my mom's for brunch, and stay a few hours. But they bring over whatever they want to, as well as they get a shitload of toys/stuff over at my parents.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post

Happy Holidays.

Perfectly succinct.

As a father of two little ones myself, I'm going through the same stuff and have been for a few years. I've stood my ground on the Christmas Day at home, though. The funny thing is that it's people who had little ones at one time who are the offenders. I suppose they were harassed with guilt over it so feel comfortable in that cycle of life.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #17
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
Perfectly succinct.

As a father of two little ones myself, I'm going through the same stuff and have been for a few years. I've stood my ground on the Christmas Day at home, though. The funny thing is that it's people who had little ones at one time who are the offenders. I suppose they were harassed with guilt over it so feel comfortable in that cycle of life.

Exactly.

The people often doing the complaining about not coming over for a holiday function are the people who's holiday consists of waking up, going downstairs, and plopping themselves down on the couch for 16 hours. It's fucking annoying, I complain to my GF about it every single holiday (don't have kids yet, but it still sucks). Why do I have to be the one who has to run around every single holiday visiting 2-3 families in a 24 hour stretch. I've offered to host things at my place, but they've always declined.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:29 PM   #18
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

We're "be with family" people ourselves. This was especially true when we lived in Michigan and started having kids. The only time we never made it back for the holidays was Thanksgiving in 2003 and that was only because our first daughter was born a week earlier. My wife's dad came up instead. Otherwise, we made the trek twice in two months every year when we lived there.

We're always at my parents' for the actual holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas Day), mainly because it's expected (though certainly not required) and it's convenient to most of us on my side of the immediate family (two sisters live near my parents and I'm three hours away in Raleigh--only my brother has to travel a distance, from Colorado). Other than the mild disruption of routine brought on by being somewhere besides home, it's not a big deal to be here for Christmas Day since we don't go anywhere else. Her side of the family has always been more flexible about getting together and it's usually at our house, a small gathering with her dad, her dad's girlfriend, and her brothers. However, one of them has moved overseas recently and contact with the other brother has actually become non-existent since we moved back, so it may be even smaller than usual this year in Raleigh.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #19
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

My kid just turned 17. I bought her a Dell Mini Inspiron 1011. Wasn't able to make it home for Christmas, but talked to her on the phone. She talked more about her outfits, never uttered a "thank you" and asked if it even has a hard drive. Gotta love teenagers...

Oh, and all my plans for cooking tomorrow are dead, as I strained my back this morning and wasn't able to hit the store.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #20
Telle
College Starter

We do Christmas Eve at my aunt's house. Then Christmas morning at home, and RendeR's mother comes over to enjoy it with us. At some point during the day we all head down to my mom's house. Then a day or so later we'll get together with my father, whenever he happens to be in town.
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:01 AM   #21
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Have stayed home every Christmas since Will was born. As far as people go, the day pretty much belongs to him & I'm not inclined to drag him all over the universe and screw it up for him.

Remember it was 4-5 hours to one set of grandparents & 2'ish to the other & not entirely in the same direction, and since it was either tick off one set who didn't get Christmas Day or spend the entire day in the car while spending little time at either place, staying home seemed like the only rational thing to do.

They're kids, they often look forward to the Christmas bounty for weeks, and they're only little once. As far as I'm concerned kids growing up today deserve to actually enjoy what little time they get to be, you know, kids.
+ 1B
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote