Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-19-2009, 06:05 PM   #51
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
we are up to about 6-8 at the moment.

just for the sake of my own interest, how do you all get the snow off your satellite dishes during crap like that.

There are heating elements you can buy for the dish. I learned that last year when we got snow and it messed up my dish. Of course, the repair tech told me there was no point in getting one in Louisiana since snow is so rare down here.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #52
Thomkal
Head Coach

my brother in West Virginia has 20 inches or more. None here in Myrtle Beach. Hope all of you dealing with it are safe.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #53
Swaggs
Coordinator

We are around 12-14 inches here in Northern WV, so far.

It is still coming down at a pretty good pace, but has gotten colder, so it isn't accumulating like it had been during the day. I live on a fairly busy street and it has been pretty wild to see how little traffic there has been on it. I feel bad for the WVU students that had late finals on Friday night/Saturday morning -- they are probably going to be stuck in town for an extra day or two.
Swaggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #54
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
my brother in West Virginia has 20 inches or more.

There's a joke there...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #55
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
There's a joke there...
And I thank you for not saying it.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #56
Comey
College Starter

It's here....

....as in, Hartford.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:59 PM   #57
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah, NYC finally has some real accumulation.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:51 AM   #58
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

It just started slowing down here. We are at about 22-26 !
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:28 AM   #59
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

6-8 in the Bronx now, with it still coming down. I was stuck at work 2 extra due to my replacement dealing with weather & this: LIRR service restored on Babylon branch after person struck

I just walked the dog. He loves the snow, so at 2:30am I'm up at a park in the Bronx with a labrador running like crazy through the snow. The best part (wish i had video...) He was running to where there is a retaining wall about 3ft high above the sidewalk. The snow had drifted about a foot off the edge. He thought he had more room. He did not. He went right down in the drift in a ball, then popped out like a volcano blowing!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:35 AM   #60
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Only got about 5 inches in central mass over night. Probably going to be another 3-4 inches during the day today, but not really much of a storm for us here.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:26 AM   #61
saldana
Pro Starter

final count here is only about 8 inches
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:28 AM   #62
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
There are heating elements you can buy for the dish. I learned that last year when we got snow and it messed up my dish. Of course, the repair tech told me there was no point in getting one in Louisiana since snow is so rare down here.

yeah, i have seen them...i was just wondering if anyone else has a broom attached to the end of a 25 foot pole so that they could stand in their front yard and wipe the snow off the dish that is on their roof.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #63
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Here in our part of South Jersey, we got between 20-24 inches. My wife & I already shoveled the driveway once yesterday, but you wouldn't know if you looked at it this morning.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #64
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
yeah, i have seen them...i was just wondering if anyone else has a broom attached to the end of a 25 foot pole so that they could stand in their front yard and wipe the snow off the dish that is on their roof.

witnessing this is pretty funny.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #65
MIJB#19
Coordinator

About 10-15 inches overhere in the Netherlands, about the most in a decade or two, at least as far as I can remember. It had been 2-3 inches for the past few days, but last night and this morning a decent pack arrived. It stopped snowing and it's been warming up to just above 0 celsius for an hour or two. I don't have to go anywhere outside of Maassluis for a week or two, so I'm not oppsed to a white Christmas at all.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #66
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Well the weather really slammed the airports I was scheduled to fly into Philly this morning and my flight was canceled. I then waiting in the US Air line for over an hour for them to tell me they refused to re-route me to anywhere else to get me home to Buffalo.

So why the lady was still looking at what she could do to rebook me for the next day, I called my corporate travel agency, explained to them what was going on, they grabbed a refund for my US Air ticket and booked me on Delta...I am now going to make it home today, instead of Monday or Tuesday....when I land....5 weeks off!
Old 12-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #67
Dutch
"Dutch"

Hopefully I'll be able to fly out of Dulles on Monday. I'm guessing yes.

(5 weeks off? Holy crap, I wish!)
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #68
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

I'm guessing yes you'll get out of Dulles on Monday. I'm just northwest of there, and though my road hasn't been plowed yet (I doubt it will be for awhile), conditions are good for snowmoving.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #69
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

Yeah...but working commission sales I have no money coming in, but with the type of work we do, it's completely dead for the next 5 weeks.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #70
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I'm guessing yes you'll get out of Dulles on Monday. I'm just northwest of there, and though my road hasn't been plowed yet (I doubt it will be for awhile), conditions are good for snowmoving.

/tk
im driving my roommate to DCA in a couple hours.... metro isnt running above ground, not sure how im gonna get to work tomorrow :P

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #71
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

16-17 inches of snow here in Southeastern MA
Old 12-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #72
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Here in our part of South Jersey, we got between 20-24 inches. My wife & I already shoveled the driveway once yesterday, but you wouldn't know if you looked at it this morning.

That is why I waited until early this morning and did it all at once.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #73
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Final snow fall total in Central massachusetts ended up only being I think 6 inches. Not a very big snowstorm here at all. Rhode Island got destroyed though, just about 40 minutes from me.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #74
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
About 10-15 inches overhere in the Netherlands, about the most in a decade or two, at least as far as I can remember.
Aah, the curse of global warming delegates. Every time they have a conference unusually wintry weather follows.

(I know Copenhagen is in Denmark, but it's close enough.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:00 PM   #75
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Aah, the curse of global warming delegates. Every time they have a conference unusually wintry weather follows.

(I know Copenhagen is in Denmark, but it's close enough.)
Well, there are reports of a closed Canal tunnel (between England and France) and airports in Belgium and Germany. Copenhagen isn't much further away, so it isn't such a longshot.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #76
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

metro is still closed.... OPM calls it! SNOW DAY!!!

im essential disaster personal, no snow day for me.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 12-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #77
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

god damned global warming!
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #78
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
metro is still closed.... OPM calls it! SNOW DAY!!!

im essential disaster personal, no snow day for me.

That sucks, be safe. My work will probably be on tomorrow (we go by Fairfax County government), but I honestly don't know that I'll be able to get onto my street from my driveway...and if I do, I don't have much hope that I'll be able to get back up the hill to my house at night. I just got back from BW3 with a friend who has a 4WD vehicle, I made him come and pick me up. Even with 4WD on, he was having problems going up and down the hill to my house. My Mazda 3 doesn't stand much of a chance. Of course, if I do manage to get out, the main roads are pretty alright, 7 and 28 were ok enough I wouldn't be too worried about being on them.

We'll see. Luckily, I should be able to work from home.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #79
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
That sucks, be safe. My work will probably be on tomorrow (we go by Fairfax County government), but I honestly don't know that I'll be able to get onto my street from my driveway...and if I do, I don't have much hope that I'll be able to get back up the hill to my house at night. I just got back from BW3 with a friend who has a 4WD vehicle, I made him come and pick me up. Even with 4WD on, he was having problems going up and down the hill to my house. My Mazda 3 doesn't stand much of a chance. Of course, if I do manage to get out, the main roads are pretty alright, 7 and 28 were ok enough I wouldn't be too worried about being on them.

We'll see. Luckily, I should be able to work from home.

/tk

allthe roads around here are fine! no problems anywhere......

but metro is closed....

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #80
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Here's my adventure from the weekend:

I planned to go to Hershey, PA, with my wife on Saturday afternoon. We were going to see a hockey game on Saturday night, a hockey game on Sunday night, and then we'd drive home Monday afternoon. The drive normally takes us about 3.5 hours. The Saturday game started at 7:00. We leave our town at 2:00, and the roads in town are a little crummy, but 95% of the drive is on the turnpike or the interstate. We figured we'd be fine.

We figured wrong.

Traffic on the turnpike was going 30 MPH at best, and the road was so snow-covered that we couldn't see the lines on the road. I had no idea which lane I was driving on sometimes, and it was getting dark and my visibility was damn near nil. I stopped at pretty much every rest stop on the turnpike just to collect myself, as that kind of driving required a mental focus that I don't normally have. We ended up not getting to the Hershey area until 8:30, and the roads in town were NASTY. Ice, snow, the works. We were trying to climb a hill to get to our hotel, and we ended up skidding all over the place. We ended up missing Saturday's game. Fortunately, we'll be able to exchange the tickets for any home game later in the season, but we would have to drive for over 3 hours again, and we'd have to hope that the game isn't sold out by the time we get there. Not sure if we'll even bother.

We did make it to Sunday's game, and we managed to get home without incident. Saturday was a hell of a day, though, and it deters me from paying in advance for winter activities (like a hockey game in Hershey) ever again. You just never know when you'll run into a mess like that.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #81
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like KC's going to get hit by this next storm rolling through. Thunderstorms today followed by 5-10 inches of blowing snow starting at 6:00 PM on Christmas Eve.

I'm planning on putting landing lights on the roof so Santa can see where the hell he's going.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #82
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

were supposed to have 45 and rain...... that will get rid of the snow FAST!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 12-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #83
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I'm bummed that I missed Dutch in the northern Virginia area.

Here's my snow story: we took the kids down to Williamsburg, VA on Thursday night, and right after we got to the hotel I saw the weather report predicting the Blizzard on Saturday... which is when we were supposed to leave. I managed to get two extra hotel rooms for Saturday night, and we drove back on Sunday morning.

The best part of the whole experience was Friday night, when Williamsburg got about 4 inches of snow. We spent the afternoon in the hotel's water park, then had dinner and bundled up for a snowball fight in the hotel parking lot. That was a fun and unique experience.

The worst part of the whole experience was my wife getting stuck in traffic on I-95 for six hours on Sunday with both 4-year olds in the car. I, on the other hand, managed to ditch the interstate and made it back home in about 3 1/2 hours... plenty of time to shovel the driveway before my wife made it back.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #84
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

How did you convince your wife to let you drive separately while she had two four year olds in the car? I'd like some pointers.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:25 PM   #85
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
I'm bummed that I missed Dutch in the northern Virginia area.

Wow, Burke is right next to where my folks live too. (Oakton, VA)

I spent Sunday morning shovelling snow for my folks and some elderly neighbors.

My Blizzard '09 Horror Story: Monday I jumped on a plane to Germany but my suitcase filled with Christmas presents didn't show up. Hopefully United/Luftansa/somebody call tommorrow. Thankfully my wife and kids would be cool with presents showing up late...at least, I *think* they will be cool with it!

Last edited by Dutch : 12-23-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:37 PM   #86
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
How did you convince your wife to let you drive separately while she had two four year olds in the car? I'd like some pointers.

She didn't want to seperate the little ones, so she took them and our oldest daughter while I got the older boys (18 and 9). We would have taken one car, but soemone sideswiped our minivan a couple of weeks ago and the rental car we were using wasn't big enough for the whole family.