Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Happens everywhere...
Old 12-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
JediKooter
Coordinator

It is pretty bad. You constantly see defensive players trying to tackle running backs high instead of going for the legs. It's simple...hit receivers in the gut and running backs in the legs and Jamarcus Russell, just show up at the stadium and he will cough up the ball.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
cuervo72
Head Coach

It's pretty bad at times. There was a play last week (if not last, two games ago) where LaRon Landry launched himself at someone, looked like he had his arms folded across his chest. He harmlessly bounced off the ball carrier, who went for a bunch more yards.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Happens everywhere...

what does this even mean? Yes, that was the point of the entire article, that bad tacking is pretty much everywhere.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
what does this even mean? Yes, that was the point of the entire article, that bad tacking is pretty much everywhere.

Maybe he meant a lack of fundamentals across all sports these days?

Anyway, clickable link since I still don't understand why people hxxp links to places like ESPN:

NFL: Minnesota Vikings star Adrian Peterson is among the many coaches, players and GMs who lament -- or in AD's case celebrate -- the lost art of tackling. - ESPN
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm amazed that (as far as I could see) that the article didn't even mention the the same problem is rampant at the college level. Seems to me that if you aren't doing it right for 4-5 years prior to being drafted the odds of you suddenly doing it right are pretty slim. I even see it at the high school level pretty frequently.

Players are too often trying to make a big hit to get on Sportscenter (or at the HS level on a local TV segment like "Ribrocker of the Week") and forgetting that the primary objective is to tackle the man with the ball, not to make the crowd ooh & ahh.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Players are too often trying to make a big hit to get on Sportscenter (or at the HS level on a local TV segment like "Ribrocker of the Week") and forgetting that the primary objective is to tackle the man with the ball, not to make the crowd ooh & ahh.

Nailed it!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #9
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

My 9 and 10 year olds talk about the Boo Yah hit. We probably say and show head across the body, wrap up - 4 million times a year.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #10
Groundhog
Coordinator

When I watch American Football, college or pro, with other Aussies there are always comments on the tackling. It's even more inexcusable when you consider that, unlike in Rugby or Aussie Rules football, you have guys who do nothing BUT play D and tackle for their pay cheques and they still aren't wrapping guys up.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #11
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm amazed that (as far as I could see) that the article didn't even mention the the same problem is rampant at the college level. Seems to me that if you aren't doing it right for 4-5 years prior to being drafted the odds of you suddenly doing it right are pretty slim. I even see it at the high school level pretty frequently.

Drives me nuts, every year watching film there are times when the kids go crazy when one of them makes a big hit in the game that involves no technique (which we work religisouly) at all. I let the oohs and aaahs die down, then pause the film and say something like, "Awesome hit, now comes the part where I rip your ass for not wrapping up." Hey at lest I let them enjoy the moment first
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post

This issue is not only isolated to the NFL only in happens in College and Highshool but also in other sports where fundamentals are severely lacking. However if you want to continue being a dick head by all means the stage is yours to do with as you wish.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:02 AM   #13
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

There's a statistic generated in rugby that I don't believe I've seen in the NFL. In rugby it's the statistic that often correlates most closely with the result. It's "missed tackles". The team with the highest number of "missed tackles" is often the team to lose.

You guys seem to prefer to praise rather than criticise. Last week I recall watching a touchdown run that was highly praise by the commentators. My reaction was there was 4 missed tackles on the run. Had one of them been competent the touchdown would have been stopped.

Perhaps the fact that players are not criticised by a "missed tackles" stat allows them to get away with it. If a defender had a "missed tackles" stat against his name maybe there'd be a greater motive to get it right (though I doubt the coaches miss it).
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:34 AM   #14
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
This issue is not only isolated to the NFL only in happens in College and Highshool but also in other sports where fundamentals are severely lacking. However if you want to continue being a dick head by all means the stage is yours to do with as you wish.

The difference is that the NFL is the highest level of football, with the best defenders in the world, who have been learning these fundamentals for several more years. While you would expect to see some poor tackling in college and high school, you shouldn't expect to in the NFL.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:35 AM   #15
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Anyway, clickable link since I still don't understand why people hxxp links to places like ESPN:

NFL: Minnesota Vikings star Adrian Peterson is among the many coaches, players and GMs who lament -- or in AD's case celebrate -- the lost art of tackling. - ESPN

I'm not sure I've ever seen an article contradict itself within its own headline. So Adrian Peterson is among these people who lament it -- except for that in his case, he celebrates it?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:40 AM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
The difference is that the NFL is the highest level of football, with the best defenders in the world, who have been learning these fundamentals for several more years. While you would expect to see some poor tackling in college and high school, you shouldn't expect to in the NFL.

I believe that's part of the point several of us are making here. They aren't learning those fundamentals at the lower levels any more, or more accurately really, they aren't applying those fundamentals at the lower levels to the same extent they may have done in the past. At this point what they have is several more years of doing it wrong.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-10-2009 at 07:41 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #17
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

No one wants to win these days, when it's easier and more lucrative to just look good.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:27 AM   #18
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post

JIMGA nailed it on the head.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #19
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Yeah, for fucks sake. Don't even post the goddamn article if you're going to hxxp ESP Fuckin N
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #20
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I believe that's part of the point several of us are making here. They aren't learning those fundamentals at the lower levels any more, or more accurately really, they aren't applying those fundamentals at the lower levels to the same extent they may have done in the past. At this point what they have is several more years of doing it wrong.

I think it is more a point of application and training through "sportscenter". Its the same reason a lot of Basketball players can't hit jumpers or free throws, you ever see those on sportscenter top 10 plays? (unless it is a 70 ft prayer at the buzzer)

The whole thing trickles down, HS players see big hits on highlights and NFL players (especially DB's) dive at feet on Sundays and emulate it, ignoring what you are trying to teach them.

The only defense I will offer here is that athletes are quicker, stronger and thus is is harder to get into position for a good form tackle. So when the intent is to square up and wrap, a quick back or receiver can make a tackler look bad with a quick move. Also many DBs are in the NFL because they can cover. If our are a 195 lb corner and a 230 pound RB with 4.4 speed is barreling at you with a full head steam it is often not wise to try and form tackle them. Still overall I think fundementals is a dying art and that applies to blocking too.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 12-10-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #21
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I think there is another contributing factor as well.

High school coaches take their best players, and put them on offense. Then they can score. College coaches outside of the few big schools that can afford good players on both sides of the ball also take their best players, and play them on offense, so they can score.

When you get to the NFL, there are simply a lot more atheletes on offense than defense vying for NFL spots, so you have a lopsided talent pool to select from. Therefore, fewer chances to find players with good mechanics result.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #22
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I think there is another contributing factor as well.

High school coaches take their best players, and put them on offense. Then they can score. College coaches outside of the few big schools that can afford good players on both sides of the ball also take their best players, and play them on offense, so they can score.

When you get to the NFL, there are simply a lot more atheletes on offense than defense vying for NFL spots, so you have a lopsided talent pool to select from. Therefore, fewer chances to find players with good mechanics result.

You make a good point, especially if a school two platoons. I can't even claim that as a reason though because though I started 22 different kids, all our players learn a defensive and offensive position, so at all three levels they get at a minimum individual period work (Where we work technique) and group work (keys and scheme) so they get the fundementals.

In terms of the best players on offense, I find that those coaches are not as succesful on a whole as those that put the best at key defensive positions, which is where you win games. You can but an average back behind a good line and score points, so take the better athlete (depending on size) and make him a lock down corner or a Linebacker or weakside DE who can scream off the edge.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
In terms of the best players on offense, I find that those coaches are not as succesful on a whole as those that put the best at key defensive positions, which is where you win games. You can but an average back behind a good line and score points, so take the better athlete (depending on size) and make him a lock down corner or a Linebacker or weakside DE who can scream off the edge.

Matches what I see in GA fairly often. Although we're in the smallest classification in the state & pretty much every team uses the majority of players both ways, our most effective RB saw very limited carries because he was too critical at MLB to spend carrying the ball. QB's seem to be a bit of an exception to that, at least ones I'm most familiar with, but I think that has to do with the difficulty in getting them adequate practice reps at QB as well as a defensive position. Our RB/LB knows how to run downhill already so he's effective even with limited practice time on offense but it's hard to get things going if the regular QB has been missing a lot.