Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Thomas Jones

I think he is under rated now, was just looking at some stats, he is at 8,800+ career yards and 57 tds. In the first few years of his career , he was considered a bust and over rated. now its flipped imo. He really turned his career around some how. he's even at 4.1 ypc, which isn't bad correct?

30th on the all time rushing list, and seemingly getting better with age (rarely happens for rbs) Watching him last year and this year, it seems he may even have a couple more years left in him. I doubt its with the Jets, as they seem to be wanting to push him out with Leon Washington and Shonn Greene now. Anyone know his contract and any guesses where he goes next?

I also hope its not roids , but in this day and age, and also considering the shelf life for rbs in the NFL, I guess we can't rule it out

Last edited by k0ruptr : 12-09-2009 at 02:47 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
RainMaker
General Manager

I loved him when he was with the Bears. Just a hard-working guy who didn't complain and just played hard every game. The Bears drafted Benson and he didn't whine to the media, just beat him out for the spot.

It's unfortunate that no team has really believed in him enough to just make him their starter. Seems every team he goes to they are trying to find someone to replace him.

As for the roids, I don't think that's him. I remember some interviews with him and he seems like a hard working guy. I believe his father was a coal miner or something and would drive them around to the wealthy neighborhoods and tell him he could have that one day if he worked hard. He also used to talk about how at Arizona they were so bad and he got so bored that he really got into weight lifting.

Very underated back now and in the past.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

maybe he can come play for the Pats?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

He's a free agent after next season. Were he to be a running back with many more miles left at the age of 32 he would be in the minority.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
RainMaker
General Manager

I think he'd be a great fit for the Pats. Smart, durable back who is used to playing in cold weather. Great receiver out of the backfield as well.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I don't think its roids at all either, just figured I'd mention it. I'm not sure how many miles hes got left, but if I was a GM I'd definitely give him a shot seeing how he has played and grinded it out these last couple seasons.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think he'd be a great fit for the Pats. Smart, durable back who is used to playing in cold weather. Great receiver out of the backfield as well.

Yea the Pats seem like a decent fit, I also could see him landing somewhere like Washington depending on what happens to Portis
Old 12-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He may be forced to restructure this offseason, as he only played for like 900K base this year IIRC. But he's due 6M next year. Sounds pretty well spoken. I bet there will be broadcasting opportunities for him if he wants them.

Also he went to UVA which indicates that he might be smarter than the traditional athlete stereotype. So he may have other avenues post football.

Last edited by stevew : 12-09-2009 at 03:25 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Always thought it was a mistake of the Bears to a) draft Benson and b) let Jones go.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #10
Dutch
"Dutch"

He's a very good back that is somewhat unspectacular in his play. I think a lot of teams he's been on have been looking for a more versatile back...In my opinion he's really more of a blue-collar back that is suited for a team with a steady running attack.

So, yeah, I'm surprised the Bears weren't completely in love with this guy.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Now granted, I wouldn't take Jones over the two SB titles. But it makes me sick that the Steelers were supposedly kicking the tires on Jones in 2003ish. But elected to sign Duce Staley instead. Duce did look good in his sideline sweatsuit though.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #12
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

It's early, but interesting how his and Benson's careers taking similar paths. Highly rated rookies - young player deemed a bust - veteran who figures it out and becomes a solid player for the last 1/3 of his career.

Also, different styles, but this has happened twice to Arizona-drafted backs. Garrison Hearst was a bum in Arizona, but a good player in SF.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #13
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Would have never thought he was closing in on 10K. Good thread.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote