Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-26-2003, 03:52 PM   #1
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Programming question: Geek speak

A question for Marc V., Jim G., Marcus H., or any others that program for a living:

How do you handle the database aspects of your games? I refuse to use an mdb, and have researched c++ collection classes to handle the massive lists and whatnot, but would like to know how the pros do it. If you can share, I would appreciate any help in this regards.

The sweetest thing would be to have a scaled down version of a SQL engine to power the data, but that would most likely require royalty fees etc.

gracias

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 03:57 PM   #2
primelord
Pro Rookie

Re: Programming question: Geek speak

Quote:
Originally posted by BoneGavel
The sweetest thing would be to have a scaled down version of a SQL engine to power the data, but that would most likely require royalty fees etc.

Not if you use a free SQL implementation such as MySQL or Postgresql.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 04:07 PM   #3
Bonegavel

Re: Re: Programming question: Geek speak

Quote:
Originally posted by primelord
Not if you use a free SQL implementation such as MySQL or Postgresql.

I should have been a little more precise. If there is a product, it will be a Windows EXE and I want everything internal to the exe, no external database (more in line with the text-sims we all know and love).

MySQL has a mini-engine, but it is a for-sale item.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:20 PM   #4
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I just condense the numbers, store them in binary files, and if they're frequently used, keep them in integer arrays in RAM while the game is open to maximize speed.

I would only use a database if I needed to conduct complex sorts on a large quantity of data before using it. I'm sure there are places in FOF and TCY where a database would be useful from a purely geek perspective, but I'm still at a point where the longest delays are due to internal processing that can't be done with SQL, and with the actual display of the data.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 04:40 PM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally posted by Solecismic
I just condense the numbers, store them in binary files, and if they're frequently used, keep them in integer arrays in RAM while the game is open to maximize speed.

It's reading things like this that gives me comfort that I've chosen the proper career path.

In other words...wuh?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 04:42 PM   #6
Castlerock
High School Varsity

a) MySql is free and runs on Windows. It is quite good.
b) Microsoft SQL Server is a full-blown DB package and is expensive.
c) MSDE is a scaled down version of SQL Server and is free. It has a throttle but it is good enough for even fairly large apps.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 04:46 PM   #7
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Re: Programming question: Geek speak

Quote:
Originally posted by BoneGavel
A question for Marc V., Jim G., Marcus H., or any others that program for a living:

How do you handle the database aspects of your games? I refuse to use an mdb, and have researched c++ collection classes to handle the massive lists and whatnot, but would like to know how the pros do it. If you can share, I would appreciate any help in this regards.

gracias

not that this is the way to go, but it a free stripped down version of sqlserver (7)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/do...e/default.aspx
Old 08-26-2003, 04:47 PM   #8
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Oh... I missed your requirement that it be entirely self-contained.

I think you are stuck using language data types. Arrays, collections, etc. Another alternative to storing data in a binary data files might be XML.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 05:32 PM   #9
mrsimperless
College Prospect

XML is the way I am going with my game, but I am developing in .Net, and everything (at this point) is completely hosted. I don't know about storing raw XML files on a client machine... I guess if people try hard enough they will hack anything.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:15 PM   #10
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally posted by Solecismic

I would only use a database if I needed to conduct complex sorts on a large quantity of data before using it. I'm sure there are places in FOF and TCY where a database would be useful from a purely geek perspective, but I'm still at a point where the longest delays are due to internal processing that can't be done with SQL, and with the actual display of the data.

thanks Jim (and the others).

So you read from disk most of the time? Seems like that is a lot of disk I/O, but most of the files in the universe folder appear small. As far as the larger files, are those read in all at once, or is the data flagged where you only load portions?