Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-22-2003, 12:17 PM   #101
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
If the link from TCY to FOF were pretty predictable, then I think this would be absolutely loads of fun. If we had some semblance that the efforts put into the tCY taem woudl really pay off in quality, playable talent for the pro level (and that there would be a correlation between the best college players and the best pro players) then I think this would be absolutely the way to go, hands down.

I emphasize the "if" above, because I think that's the weak link. Very weak.

When you say "this" are you referring to my suggestion of a TCY "farm system"? I can't tell from your post what you mean by "this" and I'm starting to get my hopes up.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:21 PM   #102
QuikSand
lolzcat

Yes, I mean your "farm" idea as "this." I think it would be great if it worked... but I think the games would fail us. We'd have the TCY people doing tons of work to recruit and develop studs in certainn areas - then they'd come into the FOF game as bums time after time, and it would get depressing very quickly.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 12:28 PM   #103
Buzzbee
College Starter

Possibly. I mean there are going to be busts, so as long as the TCY team accepts that, then I don't see that as a gamebreaker. Also, I think the combination of the B patch for TCY (increased the correlation between college performance and pro "potential") and the latest C patch (reduced the overall level of talent from TCY drafts) would tend to mitigate the bust factor while giving somewhat realistic results.

One question I have is what effect will the farm system approach have on the cohesion/chemistry angle of the FOF team? Will this simply add to the challenge, or will it be the fly in the ointment?
Old 08-22-2003, 12:32 PM   #104
Bee
Pro Starter

Has anyone tested the correlation between college performance and the pro "potential" since the games have been patched? Previously there was very little correlation, but while improved, I really don't know how much the patches change things.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 12:45 PM   #105
Buzzbee
College Starter

If the farm system is the way we go, would it be feasible to back up the start date of the TCY GT to start the pipeline? In other words, start the TCY GT in 2016 or 2018 to provide the FOF team the opportunity to "request" players for the 2020 season?

I'm thinking no since that would require at least two seasons of TCY GT before the FOF GT really even started. Too much to ask.

Perhaps the TCY link could kick in for the 2022 or 2023 season. Might give the FOF team some time to prepare and adjust as needed? Or simply accept that the players provided by the TCY GT will be sub-par roster fillers the first few years.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:46 PM   #106
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
Has anyone tested the correlation between college performance and the pro "potential" since the games have been patched? Previously there was very little correlation, but while improved, I really don't know how much the patches change things.

If I have some time tonight when I get home from work, I might try to do a little analysis to see what if any correlation exists. Quick and dirty type stuff of course.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:47 PM   #107
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee
I mean there are going to be busts, so as long as the TCY team accepts that, then I don't see that as a gamebreaker.

Well, yes and no. If we were talking about maybe 50% of the "stars" from the TCY team went on to be solid professionals, then I think it would work fine.

But what if that portion is a lot more like 20%, or even less? In previous versions, that's a lot more in keeping with what we've seen. And recall, all the updates are being made on the FOF4 end of things, to the best of my understanding - so the draft files themselves are still coming through basically the same.

Your question about chemistry is another good one - we might be at cross purposes if we really invested heavily into the TCY players, being forced to take many who woudl have conflicts with our team leaders. Might undermine both ideas a bit.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:48 PM   #108
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
If I have some time tonight when I get home from work, I might try to do a little analysis to see what if any correlation exists. Quick and dirty type stuff of course.

I haven't seen anything of this sort, from anyone. But I don't read dynasty reports, so I might well have missed something.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:00 PM   #109
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Didn't some people throw up some stats to show that TCY/FOF was not very far off on this point. There are a lot of colleges out there, and--just through sheer numbers--a lot of players who put up great stats in college are not going to become great pros. There is simply not enough space in the pro game.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 03:22 PM   #110
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by albionmoonlight
Didn't some people throw up some stats to show that TCY/FOF was not very far off on this point. There are a lot of colleges out there, and--just through sheer numbers--a lot of players who put up great stats in college are not going to become great pros. There is simply not enough space in the pro game.

I'm not trying to be critical - I agree that the numbers make it practically essential (especially since there are so many "outstanding" players in TCY - there's no meaningful way to separate out the top 25 players at any one position, so many of them by necessity must translate into lesser pro prospects).

I just think that with the TCY-to-FOF transition being what it is, that really limits the ability to provide fun for the TCY simmers in this enterprise.
Old 08-22-2003, 04:10 PM   #111
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
I'm not trying to be critical - I agree that the numbers make it practically essential (especially since there are so many "outstanding" players in TCY - there's no meaningful way to separate out the top 25 players at any one position, so many of them by necessity must translate into lesser pro prospects).

I just think that with the TCY-to-FOF transition being what it is, that really limits the ability to provide fun for the TCY simmers in this enterprise.

So does that mean that the idea of a TCY/FOF GT is dead? So far it seems like TCY will be used to simply generate draft classes since we haven't come up with an entertaining and viable way to link the two. Is that the way it is sounding to you QS?
Old 08-22-2003, 05:25 PM   #112
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm hoping that this just got missed on the page rollover... so I'm re-posting.

Quote:
I have launched a new thread, in the dyansty section, for us to start talking about the Kitty Hawk Flyers, which (in the absence of any sentiment otherwise) will become our new franchise.

Kitty Hawk Analysis

There is a link there to the game files as well.

Please spend a little time with the KH roster, and do some sizing up of their prospects. Recall - anyone we want to keep must first get a new contract from us, and we will certainly be looking closely at team chemistry in this career.

I'm hoping that this explains the silence over there...
Old 08-22-2003, 05:29 PM   #113
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
So does that mean that the idea of a TCY/FOF GT is dead? So far it seems like TCY will be used to simply generate draft classes since we haven't come up with an entertaining and viable way to link the two. Is that the way it is sounding to you QS?

That's my leaning right now... especially since so far the talk about the TCY side has really come from the people who have expressed interest in the FOF side primarily, and are viewing the TCY as really just an input and/or source of other roster rules.

The only downside to havign an active TCY career going is that the FOF game becomes dependent upon it... but that seems pretty resolvable in my mind. If the TCY thing fades, the FOF side goes on and just uses somebody else's TCY draft files. No harm done, really, unless we built lots of complicated house rules on the TCY link.

My thinking is that if people who have expressed an interest in running the TCY side want to pull that together, they ought to have plenty of time to get a season done in time to provide a draft file for the 2001 draft. Maybe that's the best way to go... if it happens, great... if not, no harm done.

The FOF side, of course, would pledge to use the TCY side's files if they get up and running. And we'd pledge to add some roster-related rules to keep the college graduates heavily involved.

Sound fair?
Old 08-22-2003, 05:30 PM   #114
QuikSand
lolzcat

By the way... I don't mean ot cast this so much as "us" and "them" -- if a TCY career gets going, I expect I would get the files and chip in as much as is welcomed.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:21 PM   #115
QuikSand
lolzcat

Just seeking to keep this alive... we've gotten a little bit of info over in the dynasty thread, but hopefully will see some more come Monday. Doesn't seem to be anything brewing with the TCY side at all, though.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:36 AM   #116
QuikSand
lolzcat

Uh, bump, or something.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:28 AM   #117
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
QB -
Backs -
Receivers -
O Line - Swaggs
D Line - Bee
Backers - albionmoonlight
Secondary -
Special teams - TBA (QuikSand, for now)

Fritz, as OC, has given some input on the various offensive skill positions - so we have something to work with. I did a quick once-over with the secondary, but nothing in much detail.

If anyone out there is interested in joining this exercise, the dynasty thread is where the real discussion is now... but we're by no means overflowing.