Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Alright Boyz, here we go! PureSim 2 first impressions thread

Figured I would start this thread instead of putting it in Gary's announcement thread.

I will start this by saying that I have no previous experience with PureSim so I may need to pick up on a few of the quirks as I go.

A couple of things that have stood out to me so far:

- Starting a season should combine the loading players and draft step if you do not wish to dump the players into a draft pool. Started the 2008 season and then went to my team and it was empty. Later found the draft button which you had to hit for it to "draft" your team. The draft is then a matter of the number of rounds for the number of players which you selected to take for your team to start. For leagues where you are not dumping the players into a draft pool it may be nice to jump right into this step after the player load without the added input needed from the player.

- Pitching change logic seems a little off so far. Scored 6 on the other team's starter in one game through 5 innings, he was struggling the last 3 innings. They left him in to bat the next inning even though they were down 6, the pitcher was ineffective and there were men on base with two outs. I will monitor this as it is currently a small sample size.

I will post more as I play more.

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

One more thing to add:

Absolutely LOVE PSPN. The rankings, leaders, transactions all in a nice format. GREAT feature!!!
Old 10-17-2009, 02:38 AM   #3
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

A few more impressions:

- The play by play is very basic, not as detailed as OOTP. I actually have no problem with this and actually like it a little better. In OOTP you saw the same things over and over anyway. Give me the basic and I can picture the rest in my head.

- The play by play does not update the batters information as the game goes on. When it shows the batter with their average, that average is as of the start of the game and not as of what they have done in the game.

- The WHIP in the pitchers information during PbP does not update either. It looks like the ERA does but the WHIP doesn't.

- Going to wait a little longer before I say one way or the other on the pitching logic as I have seen it function a little better sith pinch hitting and pitcher replacement but I want to see which is the general case.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:46 AM   #4
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

First major disappointment. Saw that Hamels didn't get any IP credited for his last game. Wondered how my IP leaders didn't add up.

To elabrate a little more. He went 8 innings, gave up just one unearned run and struck out 7. It shows Moyer as my strikeout leader as he struck out 5 in his outing and Hamels is nowhere to be seen. My IP leader shows as Moyer with 7 and then 2 relievers with 2 and 1. When I look at Hamels it shows him as 1-0 with 7 strikeouts but 0 IP.

That one is enough to make me stop fo the night. I can be a stats junkie with these games and now that I am doubting the stats it has lost it's luster.

Last edited by EagleFan : 10-17-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:04 AM   #5
Shaun Sullivan
PureSim

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
First major disappointment. Saw that Hamels didn't get any IP credited for his last game. Wondered how my IP leaders didn't add up.

To elabrate a little more. He went 8 innings, gave up just one unearned run and struck out 7. It shows Moyer as my strikeout leader as he struck out 5 in his outing and Hamels is nowhere to be seen. My IP leader shows as Moyer with 7 and then 2 relievers with 2 and 1. When I look at Hamels it shows him as 1-0 with 7 strikeouts but 0 IP.

That one is enough to make me stop fo the night. I can be a stats junkie with these games and now that I am doubting the stats it has lost it's luster.

Strange I have *never* seen that one. Any details around how it could be duplicated?
Shaun Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:39 AM   #6
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Sullivan View Post
Strange I have *never* seen that one. Any details around how it could be duplicated?

I have no idea at the moment. That game finished okay (no crash or any odd messages). Didn't even notice it until I was on my home screen and saw my team's IP leaders. Then I noticed that he wasn't on the strikeout leaders as well. Is there anything that I could send you from that league's save that could help?
Old 10-17-2009, 08:07 AM   #7
hoopsguy
General Manager

EF, did you finish all the games from that day before looking for the updated stat leaders? I've played a bunch of seasons on the 1.8x versions and I can't recall seeing this one.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
EF, did you finish all the games from that day before looking for the updated stat leaders? I've played a bunch of seasons on the 1.8x versions and I can't recall seeing this one.

Yeah, I actually didn't notice this until a couple days after that game.

Going to start a new season and see how that one goes.

Will continue to post my opinions and findings.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
- Starting a season should combine the loading players and draft step if you do not wish to dump the players into a draft pool. Started the 2008 season and then went to my team and it was empty. Later found the draft button which you had to hit for it to "draft" your team. The draft is then a matter of the number of rounds for the number of players which you selected to take for your team to start. For leagues where you are not dumping the players into a draft pool it may be nice to jump right into this step after the player load without the added input needed from the player.

I thought it drafted them automatically if you didn't choose draft pool?

At least I think it did that automatically after I loaded the 2009 season.

I've been playing ootpx extensively.. but since the 1.86 freeware version came out, I've really been drawn into my Puresim world.

It's right in between Baseball Mogul and OOTPX - which is why I'm liking it so much.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:08 AM   #10
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Haven't noticed that statistical issue yet in my new season.

I have run into an injury plagued couple games but that's probably just bad luck on my part.

Overall a positive experience. There are a few things that may need to be tweaked a bit (noted in earlier posts) but still an overall good feel.