M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Has Jerry Jones signed him yet?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
RainMaker
General Manager

As cool as that was, you have to feel sorry for that kid.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
As cool as that was, you have to feel sorry for that kid.
Yep, that game is going to be remembered for a long time in his town I'm quite sure. For some reason though, I keep thinking about Al Bundy when I see the clip.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I don't feel sorry for the kid. If he wasn't worried about spiking it and celebrating, he doesn't get remembered for what is a boneheaded play.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I can't help but laugh my ass off... and you can see the kid say "OOOOHH FUUUUCK" as soon as he realizes what he's done.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:51 AM   #8
wade moore
lolzcat

wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:49 AM   #9
Dutch
"Dutch"

Better to do this in high school than in an NFL playoff game. Other than that, I've got nothing for the kid. Whoops!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
BYU 14
Coordinator

That sucks...poor kid.

The Bonehead here is the Coach though. Why in the hell would you put anybody back to field that kick with 1.3 seconds left? There is no benefit to catching it if it is short, he put the kid in a bad position. Let the kick bounce through the end zone and go celebrate your win. A baffling coaching decision at best.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
That sucks...poor kid.

The Bonehead here is the Coach though. Why in the hell would you put anybody back to field that kick with 1.3 seconds left? There is no benefit to catching it if it is short, he put the kid in a bad position. Let the kick bounce through the end zone and go celebrate your win. A baffling coaching decision at best.

exactly, why not use the extra 2 players to block the kick, line up 10 yards off the line to watch the fake...but not catch it.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #12
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That sucks...poor kid.

Protection against a fake kick and pass.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #13
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Protection against a fake kick and pass.

You would just play safe (regular defense) if you where worried about that, he actually had them positioned at the goaline to field the kick so I can't let him off that easy since it the attempt looked like it was from 45 yards or so out. Play cover 4, and have your Linebackers at 10-12 yards deep and you take away that possibility, plus even if that was the case he should have instructed them to let it go if it was kicked.

The other reason I don't buy this is that the odds are better of scoring with your regular offense on the field, then with your special teams where your options are much more limited in terms of veritcal plays that will get you into the end zone. Sorry, this is a game the Coach lost.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #14
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You would just play safe (regular defense) if you where worried about that, he actually had them positioned at the goaline to field the kick so I can't let him off that easy since it the attempt looked like it was from 45 yards or so out. Play cover 4, and have your Linebackers at 10-12 yards deep and you take away that possibility, plus even if that was the case he should have instructed them to let it go if it was kicked.

The other reason I don't buy this is that the odds are better of scoring with your regular offense on the field, then with your special teams where your options are much more limited in terms of veritcal plays that will get you into the end zone. Sorry, this is a game the Coach lost.

I disagree. You play a FG block defense and go after the kick since the kick could win the game. You leave one or two people back in case of a fake. You could play them back 5-10 yards, but then they might get sucked into any sort of misdirection fake. Put them back at or near the goal line to be the last line of defense.

Now, the big failing is not telling the kids to not touch the kick if it comes up short...or to possess and down the ball. I don't know how often this option comes up in a HS game, but I'm guessing that the coach just overlooked it.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:29 AM   #15
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Now, the big failing is not telling the kids to not touch the kick if it comes up short...or to possess and down the ball. I don't know how often this option comes up in a HS game, but I'm guessing that the coach just overlooked it.

We will agree to disagree on strategy, but that we can agree on the part above. I just can't see how a coach overlooks it, it is something you should at least talk through during special teams practice if you plan to ever use it in a game.

Hell we even finish our walk through the day before a game having the offense sprint to various spots and practice spiking the ball to kill and clock and the final thing they do is practice taking a knee in victory formation. No detail is ever too small to overlook.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:47 AM   #16
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Yea, I blame the coach much more then the player. Not just the head coach though, I can't believe of all the assistants, and none of them told the kid not to catch it if it comes to him.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #17
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
Yea, I blame the coach much more then the player. Not just the head coach though, I can't believe of all the assistants, and none of them told the kid not to catch it if it comes to him.

I think from the reaction of the kid he knew what he did almost immediately. It didn't seem like a lack of coaching but a lack of awareness. If the kid hadn't been coached I think his reaction would be shock not, oh shit I screwed up.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #18
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Here's another one:

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #19
Groundhog
Coordinator

lol
Old 10-13-2009, 10:30 PM   #20
BYU 14
Coordinator

It looks like the holder barely got his knee off the turf when he picked it up or he would have been down, it is really hard to tell for sure.

Crappy luck
Old 10-14-2009, 06:16 AM   #21
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

looked down
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #22
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
It looks like the holder barely got his knee off the turf when he picked it up or he would have been down, it is really hard to tell for sure.

Crappy luck

That's what I thought. Look's like his knee is down AND he's being touched.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #23
Butter
Coordinator

He was down.

I think the best part is the crazy screaming guy in the background from about :55 to 1:10 though.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #24
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Regarding the first clip...wow...just wow.

Regarding the second clip, I think that even with NFL caliber replay, it would be hard to tell for sure if his knee was down. If they were unable to overturn the Holmes catch in the superbowl, then this play too would have stood.