Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-22-2009, 08:42 AM   #301
TroyF
Coordinator

Mallett is a stud. Jacory Harris can flat out play though. He's 6'4" himself and has a ridiculous skill set.

I hate the Canes, but they've been impressive as all get out. Jacory has looked like a Heisman contender. I'm not sure people realize how important these next two weeks are for the Canes. I expect them to beat Virginia Tech this week. Then they get OK at home. If they win that game, I think they could run the table.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #302
Logan
Head Coach

This should probably go in the Week 1 thread, but I don't feel like searching for it.

EDSBS » Archive » CHIP KELLY IS A MAN OF HIS WORD. SERIOUSLY.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #303
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
The Big 10 is a BCS conference. I'm assuming that people in this thread are smart enough to figure out on their own that Illinois is not going to make a BCS game this year.

So is the SEC (Georgia). Not sure what your point is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #304
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
This should probably go in the Week 1 thread, but I don't feel like searching for it.

EDSBS » Archive » CHIP KELLY IS A MAN OF HIS WORD. SERIOUSLY.

I fail to see how this "fan" deserves his money back though. By that logic, anytime our favorite team loses we should get a refund. Kelly can't help if a player goes apeshit, he can only deal with the aftermath and perform disciplinary action. Teams lose games, deal with it. Nice gesture on Chip Kelly's part though.

Quote:
Old 09-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #305
Logan
Head Coach

I don't think the fan thought he deserved anything, hence the fake invoice, the returning of the check, and his statement that he felt much better after sending off the email.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:32 AM   #306
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post

His point is that no matter that he spent a week trashing Illinois for being a shitty team (which they very much could be), he wants people to respect that Missouri beat a team in a BCS conference.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:33 AM   #307
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I don't think the fan thought he deserved anything, hence the fake invoice, the returning of the check, and his statement that he felt much better after sending off the email.

True. My statement really encompasses those fans that think they deserve a refund because their team loses, not necessarily from this particular story. I probably should have been more specific.

Quote:
Old 09-22-2009, 09:34 AM   #308
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

The point was that you said Illinois isn't a BCS school. It is in a BCS conference. That would make it a BCS school. That's all. Geez.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #309
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
His point is that no matter that he spent a week trashing Illinois for being a shitty team (which they very much could be), he wants people to respect that Missouri beat a team in a BCS conference.

Um, no. That wasn't my point. I simply was making the point that both Gabbert and Mallett have faced one team of significance in their career and performed well. That's not enough to put either one on a mantle just yet. I think Jacoby has proven more than either of those guys in his games thus far.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #310
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Gabbert is roughly the same size (6'5", 235 lbs) and was ranked the #1 and #2 pro-style QB in that class depending on which scouting service you look at.

Mallett has had one good game this past week. Gabbert has had one good game against BCS competition (Illinois). I'm certainly not questioning that either of them have the potential, but it's REALLY premature to crown them after one good game against good competition.

Quote:
Not to split hairs here, but I am not sure that Illinois is really BCS competition. I would think a good performance against Georgia is more impressive than one against the Illini.

Quote:
The point was that you said Illinois isn't a BCS school. It is in a BCS conference. That would make it a BCS school. That's all. Geez.

I had to go back and find the conversation (I forgot about it). All I was saying is that Illinois is not really BCS competition, not that they aren't a BCS school (obviously they are in a BCS conference). I was really taking a shot at the Illini and how crappy they are, and that Georgia is probably a better indicator of a challenge (although their defense is quite suspect this season).

Quote:
Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #311
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I had to go back and find the conversation (I forgot about it). All I was saying is that Illinois is not really BCS competition, not that they aren't a BCS school (obviously they are in a BCS conference). I was really taking a shot at the Illini and how crappy they are, and that Georgia is probably a better indicator of a challenge (although their defense is quite suspect this season).

Yeah, Georgia's defense has been pretty porous, though they have faced some strong teams obviously. Stillwater and Fayetteville are obviously two very tough places to play. I'm more interested what happens when Mallett goes on the road in the SEC. Gabbert also will face Oklahoma State in Stillwater early in the conference season too. Those will provide much better indicators. THEN we can start talking about how good (or bad) these sophomore QB's are.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-22-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #312
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I'm more interested what happens when Mallett goes on the road in the SEC.

Arkansas is at Alabama this weekend. Then they play Texas A&M, Auburn, @Florida, @Mississippi, and end the season at LSU. That is a pretty tough lineup for any QB. It will be interesting to see how Mallett handles some of these teams, especially Alabama/Florida/LSU.

Quote:
Old 09-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #313
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Arkansas is at Alabama this weekend. Then they play Texas A&M, Auburn, @Florida, @Mississippi, and end the season at LSU. That is a pretty tough lineup for any QB. It will be interesting to see how Mallett handles some of these teams, especially Alabama/Florida/LSU.

Yep, that's definitely a stern test.

Mizzou has a nationally televised game on ESPN this Friday, then they head into a tough stretch. Next three weeks are Nebraska, @OSU, and Texas. Mizzou will know a lot about their team and Gabbert after that stretch of games. After that, KU is the only big hurdle at the end of the year.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #314
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
I certainly agree that the NFL puts an overemphasis on size, often to their detriment. With that said, I think that many are putting far too much emphasis on basically what amounts to one good game in his career. Before Saturday, he had a 43% career completion percentage against Division I competition.

As I said, it's early. Hopefully he does well for the Hogs.

And I think people are putting much more emphasis on his talent that is extremely evident than his one good game (which was actually not as good as was expected). The combination of his unbelieveable raw talent and that he is going to spend (hopefully) 3 years with a coach that is known for turning people into great quarterbacks is what leads to the optimism about this guy, not his game against Georgia.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #315
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
And I think people are putting much more emphasis on his talent that is extremely evident than his one good game (which was actually not as good as was expected). The combination of his unbelieveable raw talent and that he is going to spend (hopefully) 3 years with a coach that is known for turning people into great quarterbacks is what leads to the optimism about this guy, not his game against Georgia.

+1

Quote:
Old 09-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #316
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Sure. There's no question that he can become a great QB. That was never my assertion that he couldn't.

The picture you paint is similar to Mizzou's situation. A tremendous QB prospect on a staff who has proven that they land players on NFL rosters. He can be a great QB, but it's silly to crown any of these sophomore QB's that I mentioned as the best in their class after a good game or two. There's plenty of time to figure that out. It's extremely premature at this point.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-22-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #317
MJ4H
Coordinator

I respect your opinion and disagree. His talent is obvious. Will he definitely become a great QB? Obviously not. Is his talent and performance so far too little to judge anything at all on? No.

OK, you can proceed to make another post comparing Mallett to someone at Missouri now. I'm done.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #318
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I for one am glad Mallet is out of Michigan. I don't want to have to face him every year.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #319
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I respect your opinion and disagree. His talent is obvious. Will he definitely become a great QB? Obviously not. Is his talent and performance so far too little to judge anything at all on? No.

OK, you can proceed to make another post comparing Mallett to someone at Missouri now. I'm done.

I thought that comparing two players with identical recruit rankings coming out of HS and similar physical attributes that fit the pro mold would be a good discussion point, but perhaps not. Given how you judge the prospects of a player, I'm assuming you believe Gabbert and Jacoby to be equally as good pro prospects?
Old 09-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #320
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Here's a column on today's presser with GT's CPJ and how his candor endears him to the fan base, but what made me LOL was one quote in particular.

Quote:
Of coordinator’s Dave Wommack’s assertion that his defenders will switch to a 4-5-2 alignment for Saturday’s game against North Carolina: "We could play a 4-12-9, but it won’t matter what we play if we don’t get our face on somebody and our eyes where they should be."

Folks, that right there is a football coach.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #321
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Wait wait, Georgia Tech is the one going with 2 defensive backs? Not the team facing Josh Nesbitt?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #322
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Mallett is a stud. Jacory Harris can flat out play though. He's 6'4" himself and has a ridiculous skill set.
Jacory Harris doesn't get the respect he deserves and I can't figure out why. I mean, in the offseason people were lamenting the loss of Robert Marve for the Canes when Jacory was much better last year and even now Harris gets described as a "game manager" like Ken Dorsey instead of the dynamic playmaker and NFL prospect he is. Maybe it's just that he looks too skinny, or doesn't have the arm strength of a Mallett, but he has more than enough size and arm strength for college.

The Hurricanes are clearly not a dark horse anymore (I've already got them at #4) if they go 4-0 with that opening schedule. My 2 deep sleeper picks did survive the week - Gus Malzahn and Auburn running over WVU and Cincinnati going and breaking a very respectable Oregon St.'s 26-game, 13 year non-conference home winning streak.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:28 AM   #323
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Jacory Harris doesn't get the respect he deserves and I can't figure out why. I mean, in the offseason people were lamenting the loss of Robert Marve for the Canes when Jacory was much better last year and even now Harris gets described as a "game manager" like Ken Dorsey instead of the dynamic playmaker and NFL prospect he is. Maybe it's just that he looks too skinny, or doesn't have the arm strength of a Mallett, but he has more than enough size and arm strength for college.

The Hurricanes are clearly not a dark horse anymore (I've already got them at #4) if they go 4-0 with that opening schedule. My 2 deep sleeper picks did survive the week - Gus Malzahn and Auburn running over WVU and Cincinnati going and breaking a very respectable Oregon St.'s 26-game, 13 year non-conference home winning streak.

It could be that Miami hasn't produced an NFL QB since, well, I guess Vinny Testaverde. I like the U, but I think Harris is getting a lot of press. I hear his name mentioned everytime someone on ESPN is talking college football, and even some early mentions for the Heisman. He has been fun to watch and is most definitely an NFL prospect, but I think a few more games under his belt will put him higher on the radar.

Quote:
Old 09-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #324
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
It could be that Miami hasn't produced an NFL QB since, well, I guess Vinny Testaverde. I like the U, but I think Harris is getting a lot of press. I hear his name mentioned everytime someone on ESPN is talking college football, and even some early mentions for the Heisman. He has been fun to watch and is most definitely an NFL prospect, but I think a few more games under his belt will put him higher on the radar.

Steve Walsh, Ken Dorsey, Gino Torretta, and Craig Erickson all spent 5+ years in the NFL, w/ Toretta winning the Heisman (and Dorsey a finalist a few times) after Testaverde. It seems like it has been awhile since they have been Quarterback U., but it has really only been since Dorsey left (after the '02-'03 season).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #325
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Steve Walsh, Ken Dorsey, Gino Torretta, and Craig Erickson all spent 5+ years in the NFL, w/ Toretta winning the Heisman (and Dorsey a finalist a few times) after Testaverde. It seems like it has been awhile since they have been Quarterback U., but it has really only been since Dorsey left (after the '02-'03 season).

Remember, I said an NFL QB.

Quote:
Old 09-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #326
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Then why are you including Testaverde?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #327
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Remember, I said an NFL QB.

Hell, I guess Petrino doesn't get credit for Plummer if we're using that criteria. That totally changes the discussion.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #328
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I am referring to a QB who actually plays regularly. I don't believe any of those guys played much, even though they were in the league around 5 years? Testaverde played for a long time, whether he was any good or not is another discussion.

Quote:
Old 09-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #329
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Perhaps the discussion could be what an "NFL QB" is. I'd suggest that an NFL QB is one that, call me crazy, plays or played quarterback in the NFL. Walsh played, what, eleven seasons? Erickson seven or eight. Perhaps we should define what playing for a "long time" really is.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #330
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Perhaps the discussion could be what an "NFL QB" is. I'd suggest that an NFL QB is one that, call me crazy, plays or played quarterback in the NFL. Walsh played, what, eleven seasons? Erickson seven or eight. Perhaps we should define what playing for a "long time" really is.

Point taken. I guess the last QB I recall from Miami is Testaverde, when in reality there were numerous other mediocre guys that have since played in the NFL.

Quote: