Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-06-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
wade moore
lolzcat

William and Mary Football upsets UVA

WOW.

Just came back from what may be the greatest sporting experience of my life.

Those that pay attention around here know that I'm a nut for William and Mary athletics. We play in I-AA (FCS, whatever). Just got back from a game @ UVA where we not only beat UVA, but pretty much owned them in every phase of the game.

You always hear about these big upsets, but it is such an amazing thing to have been a supporter of a really positive program like this and then experience something like this in person. Simply amazing.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/story.php/9150/

Quote:
No. 14 Tribe Upends Virginia, 26-14, in Season Opener
Redshirt Freshman B.W. Webb Records Three Interceptions, Including 50-yard Pick-Six Late in Fourth Quarter
Box Score
09/05/09 9:35PM
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - Redshirt-freshman cornerback B.W. Webb intercepted three passes, including a 50-yard pick-six late in the fourth quarter, as the 14th-ranked William and Mary football team earned a 26-14 victory at Virginia in both teams' season opener on Friday evening.

The victory was the Tribe’s first against an FBS opponent (formerly Division I-A) since defeating Temple, 45-38, in 1998.

W&M’s defensive effort was outstanding all night long, as it caused seven turnovers and held the Cavaliers scoreless in the second half. Additionally, the Tribe limited Virginia to just 269 yards of total offense and 12 first downs, with just 79 yards and four first downs coming in the second half. The College also dominated the time of possession, winning the battle by nearly 15 minutes (37:18-22:42).

In addition to Webb’s outstanding collegiate debut, a number of other Tribe players on the defensive side posted good performances. Sophomore linebacker Jake Trantin finished with a game-high 11 tackles (7 solo) to go with two tackles for a loss, a sack and a fumble recovery, while senior All-American defensive end Adrian Tracy recorded 10 tackles (8 solo). Junior linebacker Evan Francks also came up big with a pair of fumble recoveries and two tackles for a loss.

A native of the Charlottesville area, senior quarterback R.J. Archer threw for 184 yards with a touchdown, while rushing for 46 yards on nine attempts. Led by senior wideout D.J. McAulay’s five catches for 51 yards, seven Tribe players totaled at least two receptions.

After a three-and-out on the Tribe’s opening possession, the Cavaliers utilized a short field to record the contest’s initial score on a quick three-play drive. Quarterback Vic Hall then gave Virginia the early 7-0 advantage when he scampered 34 yards down the right sideline with 12:15 showing on the clock.

W&M later knotted the score at 7-7 with 4:57 remaining in the opening quarter when Archer found senior tight end Rob Varno with a 5-yard touchdown pass. Highlighting the seven-play, 81-yard drive that lasted 2:43 was a 48-yard strike from Archer to redshirt freshman receiver Ryan Moody down the middle of the field that put the College on the Cavs’ 5-yard line. Archer was incredibly efficient engineering the drive, completing 4-of-5 passes for 65 yards.

The Tribe looked as if might take its first lead of the contest early in the second quarter, but senior place-kicker Brian Pate’s 42-yard field goal attempt from the left hash was blocked. W&M’s drive began when Webb earned his first career interception, picking off Jameel Sewell and returning it 18 yards to give the Tribe excellent starting field position.

Virginia retook the lead midway through the second quarter, 14-7, when Sewell capped off a 10-play, 84-yard drive with an 8-yard touchdown run.

W&M answered UVA’s scoring drive by moving the ball deep into the Cavalier’s territory, but it ended without points when Pate’s 43-yard field goal attempt struck the left upright. The drive was ignited on the opening play when Archer found McAulay on a 27-yard pass on the left sideline.

The Tribe retook possession just 1:02 later on Virginia’s 45-yard line when Webb intercepted Sewell for his second pick of the half. Five plays later, Pate converted a 40-yard field goal to cut the margin to 14-10 with 3:21 remaining in the half.

Just 36 seconds later, the Tribe caused its third turnover of the half when Francks recovered a fumble on Virginia’s 39-yard line. Although W&M moved to the Cavaliers’ 20, Pate missed a 42-yard field goal from the right hash wide to the left with 1:12 showing on the clock.

Shortly thereafter, the Tribe took advantage of UVA’s fourth turnover of the half when Trantin recovered a fumble on a bad snap at the Virginia 46 with 48 seconds showing. Pate later capped off an eight-play, 37-yard drive with a 26-yard field goal as time expired to get the Tribe within one, 14-13, at the intermission.

In addition to causing four turnovers in the opening half, W&M dominated the time of possession, 18:59-11:01, and out-gained the Cavaliers, 229-190. Individually, Archer put up impressive numbers, completing 18-of-32 passes for 168 yards and a touchdown. McAulay also had an impressive initial stanza with four receptions for 47 yards.

After redshirt freshman Dante Cooke recovered a muffed punt by Hall at Virginia’s 9-yard line, Pate gave the Tribe its first lead of the contest, 16-14, when he booted in a 20-yard field goal from the right hash with 5:35 left in the third quarter.

The Tribe’s defensive unit remained tough and came up with a huge stop on a fourth-and-one at midfield with 9:48 left when Trantin and senior defensive end Sean Lissemore stopped quarterback Marc Verica for no gain.

Francks’ second fumble recovery of the night, coming on UVA’s 36-yard line with 5:46 showing, helped set up another score for the Green and Gold. A 23-yard run by Archer on the first play of the drive helped set a 24-yard field goal by Pate, his fourth of the night, with 3:50 to play.

W&M then sealed the triumph on Virginia’s ensuing drive when Webb intercepted Sewell and raced 50 yards down the Tribe sideline for touchdown to give the College a 26-14 cushion and its first victory against Virginia since 1986.

The Tribe will return to action again next weekend when it hosts Central Connecticut State in its home opener at Zable Stadium on Saturday at 7 p.m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:02 AM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

was wondering where you were.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:02 AM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- congrats, I am really glad you had fun.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:10 AM   #4
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
was wondering where you were.

Hehe - yeah, figure others were wondering. About a 1 1/2 hour - 2 hour drive back and traffic, stopping to get food, etc .

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 09-06-2009, 12:13 AM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think a couple of us made mention in the Week 1 thread

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I think a couple of us made mention in the Week 1 thread

SI

Yeah, I had made a reply there but my internet went crazy and it was lost in the abyss .

Sleep time - if I can get this adrenaline out of my system!

Quote:
Old 09-06-2009, 01:49 AM   #7
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Congrads!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:30 AM   #8
RainMaker
General Manager

My brother and I are fans of FCS and were keeping track of the score throughout the night. Glad to see you guys pick up a win and get some respect for FCS.

Was Virginia supposed to be good this year?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:27 AM   #9
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
My brother and I are fans of FCS and were keeping track of the score throughout the night. Glad to see you guys pick up a win and get some respect for FCS.

Was Virginia supposed to be good this year?
Not particularly. They were 5-7 last year and I think they expected maybe around 7 wins this year. Not a great team, but still an ACC team.

Quote:
Old 09-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #10
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

FWIW, this wan't really an upset. UVA blows.

Go Tribe!
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #11
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Glad you were there...thought of you when the score was announced at the Clemson game
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #12
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

TRIBE PRIDE!!

What wasn't mentioned, for those that are not familiar with Virginia colleges, is that W&M students/alumni have a general dislike of UVA on a college/academic level. I rode down to the game with my wife and her two friends that are all UVA grads. One of them made several statements such as, "I didn't even know William and Mary had a football team!" She also posted on her facebook page about how they were going to crush us.

Man what a great ride home!

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Hokie nation is proud!

Way to go Tribe!!
NiteMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #14
RedKingGold
College Starter

How is Al Groh still the head coach? He should've been fired before he left the field yesterday.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #15
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I'll be excited when Christopher Newport beats UVA
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #16
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I'll be excited when Christopher Newport beats UVA

Christopher Newport ~= Chaminade?

Quote:
Old 09-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #17
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Not particularly. They were 5-7 last year and I think they expected maybe around 7 wins this year. Not a great team, but still an ACC team.
Still a BCS conference school in their own backyard.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote