Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2006, 12:50 PM   #51
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Boston baseball fans are way more passionate and knowledgeable than New York baseball fans. New York football fans are more passionate and knowledgeable than Boston football fans.

Boston is a nastier city, but has better colleges.

I call it a draw.

football is a lost cause as far as knowledgable fans around boston.

rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:51 PM   #52
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
This is just utter bullshit. I hate Boston as much as anybody, but the myth that it's some racist homogenous O'shantytown is just a lie.

Having grown up there, I respectfully disagree.

You basically have two classes: The "O'shantytown" and the college educated liberals, but not in my neighborhood, crowd.

Good Will Hunting pretty much hit the target.

Last edited by Desnudo : 12-13-2006 at 12:53 PM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:55 PM   #53
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Having grown up there, I respectfully disagree.

You basically have two classes: The "O'shantytown" and the college educated liberals, but not in my neighborhood, crowd.

Good Will Hunting pretty much hit the target.

In terms of what you're talking about, It's no different from New York or Chicago. No different at all.

I've lived in all three towns.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:59 PM   #54
rkmsuf
Head Coach

New Hampshire welcomes our neighbors from the East with open arms and an empty stomach. Allez! Cuisine!

Last edited by rkmsuf : 12-13-2006 at 01:00 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:09 PM   #55
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Got him!

They're flying back to Boston now to do the physical, no way that it would have happened unless they either are just wrapping up the details or have reached a basic agreement already
Old 12-13-2006, 01:49 PM   #56
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Update: CNNSI is reporting that the deal is 6 years/52 million, with an escalator incentives to 6/60.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:03 PM   #57
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
In terms of what you're talking about, It's no different from New York or Chicago. No different at all.

I've lived in all three towns.

I think you have a much wider demographic in New York or Chicago due to population. They aren't really comparable cities. Boston is a mid-sized regiona capital, while NY and Chicago are metropolis'.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:12 PM   #58
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I don't see why that's so difficult for people to understand. The Red Sox ARE scrappy underdogs to the Yankees, the evil empire to everyone else.
HAHAHAHAHAHA! Scrappy underdogs? I'm an Indians fan, a team agonizing over whether spending $11M on David Delucci is the right move or could put the team financially under. That's a scrappy underdog compared with a team that puts up $50M just for the right to talk to a guy. Geeze, they put about as much cash up for negotiating rights as my team's entire player budget. Sorry, both of them are evil empires to everyone else (outside of LA who once was part of the evil empire themselves and aspires to it once again).
Old 12-13-2006, 02:40 PM   #59
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA! Scrappy underdogs? I'm an Indians fan, a team agonizing over whether spending $11M on David Delucci is the right move or could put the team financially under. That's a scrappy underdog compared with a team that puts up $50M just for the right to talk to a guy. Geeze, they put about as much cash up for negotiating rights as my team's entire player budget. Sorry, both of them are evil empires to everyone else (outside of LA who once was part of the evil empire themselves and aspires to it once again).

If you could attempt to read what I wrote again, you'll see that I'm not disagreeing with you.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:58 PM   #60
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, it's called sarcasm .
Old 12-18-2006, 09:31 PM   #61
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Red Sox fans are just stupid overall. Goes for most Boston pro sports fans. I'll give New Yorkers credit. Even if they are annoying they know their sports.

Listen to WEEI sometime if you are up around Boston. Will numb your brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
BTW, no one has brought up the fact that Boston, culturally speaking, is probably not going to work for this guy. To the Yankees, Seattle, SF, or LA within two years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Did Boston College reject your application or something?

It's pretty amusing rooting for crappy Patriots and Red Sox teams my whole life, and then overnight I'm "stupid, arrogant, and obnoxious". I don't get it. I've never hated Yankee fans. They just got attached to a different team when they were going up. It reeks of jealousy.

And no one's saying Boston's small market - but the difference between the Red Sox's and Yankee's payroll is the same as the difference between the Red Sox and Pirates.

Quote:
Boston baseball fans are way more passionate and knowledgeable than New York baseball fans. New York football fans are more passionate and knowledgeable than Boston football fans.

Boston is a nastier city, but has better colleges.

I call it a draw.

Quote:
This is just utter bullshit. I hate Boston as much as anybody, but the myth that it's some racist homogenous O'shantytown is just a lie.

First off, RKMSF considering how many posts you have and know that there are a lot of longtime Boston area people on the board here it surprises me that you total shit evryone from the city of Boston with your narrowed minded post. .................. Oh, yeah congrats you are the first guy in four years on the board that makes my ignore list since I could care less what you have to say.

Desnudo, I have also heard that about this area . That it is not asian friendly but I disagree and my wife is asian. She might partly agree with what you mean but in my eyes she has done pretty well in spite of it.

Molson, I agree. His post had a very strong personal attack feel to it, like from someone who had a bad experience with a local here

I agree that fans here can be obnoxious and rude but no one can accuse them of being ignorant maybe homers/fanboys but not ignorant. That is a a generalization. And for the record I am not nor ever have been a Patriots fan, I am an old Oiler/Titans fan. So, I will agree that a lot of PATS fans are pompous and arrogant.

Also, I love WEEI especially the arguing. My wife can stand to listen to it.She always makes me put on my headphones to listen to it.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:46 PM   #62
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
First off, RKMSF considering how many posts you have and know that there are a lot of longtime Boston area people on the board here it surprises me that you total shit evryone from the city of Boston with your narrowed minded post. .................. Oh, yeah congrats you are the first guy in four years on the board that makes my ignore list since I could care less what you have to say.

You are aware that rkmsuf is a Boston fan, right? I'm 99% sure about that at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:57 PM   #63
RendeR
Coordinator

I think was most people see in new England sports teams fans that they call ignorance is the utter and complete unwillingness of said fans to engage in any real debate. instead of using well made arguments most of said fans will resort to insults and even threats to feel superior to anyone else in a discussion/argument/debate*laff* of sports topics.

The "sports talk" on the radio stations in the Boston area is laughable, its more like a bunch of 5 yr olds talking smack to their friends from the other side of town than any real commentary on sports.

Last edited by RendeR : 12-18-2006 at 09:58 PM.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:19 PM   #64
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
You are aware that rkmsuf is a Boston fan, right? I'm 99% sure about that at least.

If that is true than I take it back.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:58 PM   #65
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I think was most people see in new England sports teams fans that they call ignorance is the utter and complete unwillingness of said fans to engage in any real debate. instead of using well made arguments most of said fans will resort to insults and even threats to feel superior to anyone else in a discussion/argument/debate*laff* of sports topics.

Bingo. A friend of mine in the office pisses me off to no end by constantly repeating the mantra that the Patriots are going to win the Superbowl. That's fine by itself, but trying to debate him and talking about, oh, the San Diego Chargers or Baltimore Ravens, the answer is that I'm just not accepting the truth that the Patriots will win. No argument, no backing facts, just the same tired line over and over. At least try to make a counterpoint, ffs!
Old 12-19-2006, 01:55 AM   #66
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Anyway, back to the subject at hand...

I've seen Matsuzaka in plenty of games here, with his Seibu Lions routinely demolishing my beloved Orix Buffaloes, but I digress... He's one of the best in the world when he's on, but he was inconsistent this past season, one reason why Seibu put him up for posting, instead of letting him walk away for nothing as a free agent next year.

I'll go out on a limb and say he won't be worth much of the contract he's getting... not as a #1 starter, anyway.

Last edited by bbgunn : 12-19-2006 at 01:56 AM.
bbgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:56 AM   #67
oykib
College Starter

Holy s#$%. There's another FOFCer in this town?!

In related note, reports are that Igawa signed for 5 years for $20 million.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:02 AM   #68
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn View Post
Anyway, back to the subject at hand...

I've seen Matsuzaka in plenty of games here, with his Seibu Lions routinely demolishing my beloved Orix Buffaloes, but I digress... He's one of the best in the world when he's on, but he was inconsistent this past season, one reason why Seibu put him up for posting, instead of letting him walk away for nothing as a free agent next year.

I'll go out on a limb and say he won't be worth much of the contract he's getting... not as a #1 starter, anyway.

Interesting. My first thought was...how inconsistent can a guy with a 2.13 ERA be?...but then I thought of Dontrelle Willis. As good as Willis' numbers look, he's always good for 3 or 4 of those 3 IP, 7 ER games a year and I'd never trust him in a big game (one of the many reasons why the Marlins are crazy for not trading him this offseason). So this guy might be a Japanese Dontrelle Willis in a foreign land with a big market team whose fans actually care. Hmmm.....
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:52 AM   #69
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

Also, I love WEEI especially the arguing. My wife can stand to listen to it.She always makes me put on my headphones to listen to it.

That pretty much says it all.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:53 AM   #70
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

that is correct
Old 12-19-2006, 08:37 AM   #71
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
that is correct

Quoted incase Galaril still has you on ignore ...

I think admitting that many of your fellow fans are idiot is a good step to not being an idiot-fan yourself ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:42 AM   #72
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

So that's two people in one week now with rkmsuf on ignore: Galaril and Chuck Nevitt.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:46 AM   #73
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Quoted incase Galaril still has you on ignore ...

I think admitting that many of your fellow fans are idiot is a good step to not being an idiot-fan yourself ...

RendeR nailed it but I guess it's possible I'm an idiot even if it's a remote one.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:55 PM   #74
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib View Post
Holy s#$%. There's another FOFCer in this town?!

In related note, reports are that Igawa signed for 5 years for $20 million.

Wow, and I thought I was the only one. Osaka is in the house, believe it or not FOFCers!!!

You can (almost) put money on this: if the reports are true, Igawa will be at least as good as Matsuzaka, if not better, in the majors.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:50 AM   #75
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I know someone else from Japan and he also seemed to think that Igawa was going to be a very good pitcher in MLB. We'll see.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:46 PM   #76
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

for the non-haters out there in Dice-K land

http://nichibeiredsox.blogspot.com/

retranslation of the press conference
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #77
Galaril
Pro Starter

So I was going back looking for an old thread of mine and saw this one from a few years back. I wonder how many Boston fans would like for the Red Sox to have that 100 million back now to of spent on guys like Texiera or Halladay to name a few.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:35 PM   #78
Logan
Head Coach

Wondering what kind of ROI they got on that money in terms of Japanese revenue.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #79
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Wondering what kind of ROI they got on that money in terms of Japanese revenue.

Good point. I am sure Henry the owner made out on that deal 5 fold. But us fans sure come out lossing.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:17 PM   #80
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Wasn't he a reasonable part of the last World Series run though? Or am I foggy on history? Sure of late he hasn't done much, but then again neither has any Red Sox pitcher not named Papelbon or Beckett.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #81
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Wasn't he a reasonable part of the last World Series run though? Or am I foggy on history? Sure of late he hasn't done much, but then again neither has any Red Sox pitcher not named Papelbon or Beckett.

Yeah, 2007 World Series. Investment good.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:26 PM   #82
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Sure that is a decent argument but not a 100 million dollar one. Also, I did not equate the 2007 championship with Dice-K's pitching as much as a bunch of guys swing the sticks well and of course the Rockies collapse in the series. I mean that year the guy was 15-12 with a 4.40 ERA not exactly Cy Young there.
And while we are talking about stats his "career" numbers with thew Sox in three years:

W:34 L:20 ERA:4.11

Last edited by Galaril : 09-04-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #83
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

problem is the same as i thought it was going to be from day 1 - he didn't adapt the way he pitches - he throws too many pitches and tries to nibble too much
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #84
RainMaker
General Manager

It's kind of weird how all the Japanese players flame out in a couple years.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #85
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Too bad Ichiro didn't come over here when he was younger.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #86
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Yeah, Ichiro flamed out, didn't he?

Between here and Japan the guy already has 3,200 career hits. He's only 35 and clearly has a few more good years in him. He's going to hit 2,000 hits over here by the end of the season.

I'm not ruling out that he plays five more years and plays well enough to get to 3,000 here. It seems unlikely but it's possible. Regardless, if Ichiro doesn't play another game, I'd put him in the HOF.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #87
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think I'm in the minority but I definitely would have him in the Hall of Fame even if he retired after this season with just 2000 hits. He's a career .333 hitter, 2000 hits, All Star all 9 years, 8 gold gloves, 1 ROY, and 1 MVP.

EDIT: kcchief19 stole my thunder

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-04-2009 at 10:13 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:08 PM   #88
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

As pointed out, a bit foggy . 15-12 with a 4.40 ERA and a 108 ERA+. It was 2008 when he seemed like the pitcher the Red Sox spent $100 million on. 18-3 with a 2.90 ERA, and a 159 ERA+. Of course then he got all injured and stuff this year.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #89
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and Ichiro is likely going in regardless due to the cultural impact of the first Asian position player to really succeed.

The issue with Ichiro for me is that while he hits very well, he doesn't walk much on top of that (career OBP of .378 which is good, but not great - it is about the same as Jorge Posada's, but Posada has much more power) and hits with little power. His career OPS+ is 118.

Of course he does play very good defense and his baserunning helps a bit too.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-04-2009 at 11:16 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:50 AM   #90
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Oh, and Ichiro is likely going in regardless due to the cultural impact of the first Asian position player to really succeed.

Chan....Ho....Park

Not stellar, but I wouldn't call 16 seasons a failure.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:01 AM   #91
Danny
Head Coach

Notice he said position player
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:01 AM   #92
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Chan....Ho....Park

In three of those seasons, he has a combined 12 innings pitched.

He might have pitched IN 16 seasons, but he sure as shit didn't pitch 16 seasons.

Of the other 13, five of 'em had ERAs over 5.00.

Basically, once he left LA, he sucked, and he kept getting extra chances because, c'mon - he won 18 games with an ERA in the 3.00s for the Dodgers! He must be pretty good!

If only it had been the Giants trotting him out there every 5th day after he left LA. I'd have laughed.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:00 AM   #93
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Desnudo, I have also heard that about this area . That it is not asian friendly but I disagree and my wife is asian. She might partly agree with what you mean but in my eyes she has done pretty well in spite of it.
3 years too late, but really? Boston is anti-Asian? I fully admit that I tend to run with a younger, probably more-college educated crowd, but if anything Asian girls are strongly encouraged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post

The "sports talk" on the radio stations in the Boston area is laughable, its more like a bunch of 5 yr olds talking smack to their friends from the other side of town than any real commentary on sports.
Are there other towns where sports talk radio is filled with insightful fans? Probably - the ones where the team has been terrible for 10+ years. An unfortunate side effect of winning is idiots rooting for your team. I don't think Boston is any worse in this regard than any other successful city.
Quote:
So I was going back looking for an old thread of mine and saw this one from a few years back. I wonder how many Boston fans would like for the Red Sox to have that 100 million back now to of spent on guys like Texiera or Halladay to name a few.
I don't think it would have affected our pursuit of Teixeira. The RS FO seems to set a number and stick to it, even when going $20m higher and outbidding the Yankees for an impact player like Teixeira is possibly smarter in the long run.
Quote:
Jon Lester says hi.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #94
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Notice he said position player

Yep. There was this idea that while an Asian pitcher could succeed, Asian position players weren't there yet. Ichiro showed that wasn't the case. Then Hideki Matsui came over and showed that Asian position players could hit for power as well (which was the knock on them after Ichiro came over).
Old 09-05-2009, 07:19 AM   #95
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Chan....Ho....Park

Haven't you read the thread titles? He sucks

SI

Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:27 AM   #96
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Are there other towns where sports talk radio is filled with insightful fans? Probably - the ones where the team has been terrible for 10+ years.

"Just one brave Gator fan to call.
Where are the Gator fans now?
All you Gator fans call when you win.
But now that you lose, you don't have the guts to call in.
I'm waiting for one, just one..."
"What the hell are Gators?"
"Football -- college."
"-- morons."
"-- mm-hmm."
"I'm a Gator fan, and I'm calling."
"And what do you have to say?"
"Well, you said we don't have the guts to call, and I'm calling."
"That's it? You're calling to say you're calling?"
"This town gives me a headache."

SI