Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-19-2003, 11:47 AM   #1
3ric
College Starter

EHM testers wanted...

Quote:
On the 28th of June last year we announced to the world that Sports Interactive would we making an Ice Hockey management simulation based around the hugely popular Eastside Hockey manager.

“…Eastside Hockey Manager: Franchise Edition puts players in charge of any one of hundreds of hockey teams throughout the world. It will offer a detailed game world in which gamers draft, trade and manage players throughout various hockey leagues and trophies.”

The time has come that a lot of eager hockey fans have waited over a year for. I’m pleased to announce that we are about to start the process of testing the game internally here in Sports Interactive. To that end I’m writing here to ask if anyone out there thinks that they would be a good tester for what we know will become the worlds leading hockey based management simulation?

For those of you who do not know how we operate here in Sports Interactive, all our internal testing is done in our dedicated testing studio here in our offices in Islington, in central London. All testers would have to be able to commute here every day. We work from 10am to 6pm daily. All testers are paid a fair rate, and also get paid reasonable travel expenses.

We shall be starting testing very shortly, and testing will last several months. We will have scope for some exceptional people to work for a long period and for others to come for a week or two during holidays from work. A good example would be that during Championship Manager 4 testing last year we had several people come over from Ireland, Finland and even the USA just to help in testing the game for a week or two!

All we ask in terms of qualifications is that you like playing games and that you are hockey mad! Attention to detail is also a quality we look upon with favour!

If you are interested then email [email protected] and we will provide you with more information.

Joe O'Reilly
Sports Interactive

The info is four days old though.

3ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 11:54 AM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Brussles is so close. Yet so far away...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 12:14 PM   #3
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Wonder if Marc has a sofa I can sleep on. . .
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 01:08 PM   #4
mrskippy
Banned

Will work for food and lodging!!! Oh, and a little money to see Big Ben, Parliament, and all the other crap.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 04:40 PM   #5
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Sorry should have posted the details here, but thought that most people probably wouldn't be able to make it across to England for the testing ...

There is a comfy couch available in the offices though
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 04:50 PM   #6
mrskippy
Banned

Hey, I've always wanted to visit England. So long as you'd give me time off to visit the motherlands of Scotland, Ireland, and Holland.

And you wouldn't even have to pay, other than food and lodging. Perhaps a little spending money, but nothing major. I'll even foot the bill for the airfare.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:04 PM   #7
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Would I be revealing myself as an insensitive and North American-centric Canadian bastard if I expressed concern that the hockey simulation that us fans have been waiting a lifetime for is apparently going to be tested, exclusively, by people who live within driving distance of London, England?
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 05:05 PM   #8
MrBug708
Head Coach

Holy Crap, I have the same bloodlines as Mrskippy. You aren't part German are you?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 05:14 PM   #9
mrskippy
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBug708
Holy Crap, I have the same bloodlines as Mrskippy. You aren't part German are you?

nein
Old 08-19-2003, 05:15 PM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
Would I be revealing myself as an insensitive and North American-centric Canadian bastard if I expressed concern that the hockey simulation that us fans have been waiting a lifetime for is apparently going to be tested, exclusively, by people who live within driving distance of London, England?

I'd agree, but it could be worse - at least it's not driving distance of Paris, France.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 05:18 PM   #11
mrskippy
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SackAttack
I'd agree, but it could be worse - at least it's not driving distance of Paris, France.

Paris to London by car. No problem.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:31 PM   #12
Karim
College Starter

I'm sure SI realizes this and will get some testers from bonafide hockey nations. Plus, Riz (Finland) is at the helm so I have confidence.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 06:51 AM   #13
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Heh - don't panic, all the people involved in testing will be Hockey fans (from both within the UK (yes there are some here ) and outside it).

Quote:
Originally posted by mrskippy
Hey, I've always wanted to visit England. So long as you'd give me time off to visit the motherlands of Scotland, Ireland, and Holland.
And you wouldn't even have to pay, other than food and lodging. Perhaps a little spending money, but nothing major. I'll even foot the bill for the airfare.

Send us an application - we'll force you to accept pay (we're cruel like that ), but so long as you can get here for the 'work' you're in with a chance ...
Old 08-20-2003, 02:36 PM   #14
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Vaughan
Heh - don't panic, all the people involved in testing will be Hockey fans (from both within the UK (yes there are some here ) and outside it).
OK. I'm not trying to sound like a dink, it's just that after a decade of watching EA Sports butcher the game, I'm really looking forward to a real hockey sim.

I'm sure you guys would feel the same if they announced that the most anticipated soccer sim in years would be tested exclusively by the citizens of Winnipeg.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:46 PM   #15
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

I'd love to test the game being a CM and Hockey (France&NHL)fan, the distance wouldn't be a problem, only thing is time, don't even know if I'll be available.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 03:24 PM   #16
riz
SI Games

Quote:
OK. I'm not trying to sound like a dink, it's just that after a decade of watching EA Sports butcher the game, I'm really looking forward to a real hockey sim.

I'm sure you guys would feel the same if they announced that the most anticipated soccer sim in years would be tested exclusively by the citizens of Winnipeg.

No need to lose sleep over this. The idea might sound a bit weird (yeah, what do the english know about ice hockey, lol) but I'm positive we will have some hardcore hockey fans to test the game here. At first you might think that England is the last place to associate with ice hockey, but the game actually has long traditions in this country.

Actually, when I moved over from Finland to England, my dosage of live NHL on TV (on terrestrial tv, not pay-per-view) went up from 2+finals/season to 2 games a week + some extra games during playoffs and all finals naturally. And London especially is a very international city, with thousands of american and canadian people here. So rest assured, the testers will have all the required hockey knowledge to help us polish up the game
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 04:30 PM   #17
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by riz
Actually, when I moved over from Finland to England, my dosage of live NHL on TV (on terrestrial tv, not pay-per-view) went up from 2+finals/season to 2 games a week + some extra games during playoffs and all finals naturally. And London especially is a very international city, with thousands of american and canadian people here. So rest assured, the testers will have all the required hockey knowledge to help us polish up the game
I'm willing to trust you guys. From what I've heard, that football game of yours isn't half bad.

(Although I admit to being a bit nervous hearing you call it "ice hockey". You're not American, are you?)
Old 08-20-2003, 04:36 PM   #18
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Well it isn't a street hockey game, or a field hockey game. So I think 'ice hockey' is valid...
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 04:43 PM   #19
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by TargetPractice6
Well it isn't a street hockey game, or a field hockey game. So I think 'ice hockey' is valid...

American.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 05:09 PM   #20
riz
SI Games

Quote:
I'm willing to trust you guys. From what I've heard, that football game of yours isn't half bad.

(Although I admit to being a bit nervous hearing you call it "ice hockey". You're not American, are you?)

Nope, finnish

Actually, I tend to sometimes use "ice hockey" instead of just "hockey", since in UK they usually mean "field hockey" when talking about just "hockey". It's all a bit weird but just a matter of words. Now trying to explaining "floorball", which is the sport I play (it's big in Scandinavia)....now that's a tougher task
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 07:54 PM   #21
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Riz,

Please explain. Also, when is the text sim coming out for it?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 01:01 AM   #22
3ric
College Starter

Oh, floorball - where to begin... well, you play with sticks and a light plastic ball on a gym court the size of a basketball field. The sticks are carbon graphite, there's no pads on anyone except the goalie, who's kneeling in front of the goal. Apart from that, it's basically hockey with less hitting.

More at: http://www.floorballamerica.com/usa/

Last edited by 3ric : 08-21-2003 at 01:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:10 AM   #23
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

basketball field?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 02:23 AM   #24
3ric
College Starter

um, sorry i mean court.

Last edited by 3ric : 08-21-2003 at 02:24 AM.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:17 AM   #25
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The "hockey" / "ice hockey" thing killed me when I first got to Europe. I would start talking about hockey and someone would stop me and ask, "You mean... ice hockey?"

It's ridiculous.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 06:51 AM   #26
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

In England for some reason we always differentiate between 'Hockey' (ie. Field Hockey - played on grass) and 'Ice Hockey'.

Same thing here with 'American Football' and 'Football',. English people are trained to be Eccentric, it brings in the tourists
Old 08-21-2003, 07:30 AM   #27
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
All testers are paid a fair rate, and also get paid reasonable travel expenses.

Is the fair rate based on our current salary and would reasonable travel expenses include weekly flights to Washington D.C.?

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 07:35 AM   #28
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Vaughan
In England for some reason we always differentiate between 'Hockey' (ie. Field Hockey - played on grass) and 'Ice Hockey'.
You're... killing... me...

No, I understand that there are countries where the distinction needs to be made. It's just one of the things that really annoys Canadians, while nobody else in the world even notices. One of the many, many things.

(To our American friends, telling a Canadian about "ice hockey" is the equivalent to interupting a discussion on basketball to ask "Whoa, hold on, are we talking about indoor basketball?")