Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
Zelig
Mascot

Audio Books Attention Span

I am a bigtime reader and thought audio books would be a great thing for me. But, as I am driving, I can't seem to follow the speaker. I start watching someone driving erratic in front of me, or I will think about work, or something I need to remember to get done, and in the process miss alot of the audio thread. I am typically pretty good at focusing, but I am having trouble with audio books. Anyone else have this problem?

Zelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

You might get some good responses in the cell phone driving thread.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

You might be more of a visual person. I'd suggest getting a TV/DVD player for your car. Plenty of books have been made into movies so, you should have a nice selection.

If you can't find a movie version of the book you are interested in, there are plenty of local artist groups that could probably perform the book in the car for you. Bonus points to any group that can do it with finger puppets.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I do find audiobooks more of a passive medium and am glad that CDs have tracks. When I was driving 50K miles a year, mostly in the middle of nowhere Kansas and Missouri, I went through about an audiobook a month. So, going through pretty unpopulated areas- I'd love to listen to audiobooks since I rarely read and it was a good way to catch up on some great works. But, yeah, it's something that was sometimes easy to lose track- it's still much more important to watch the road and if it wasn't the usual couple of cars all going the same speed, then it was easy to miss what was going on.

That said, if I was ever in Kansas City or Topeka or some other populated area, the audiobook was off. This was on multilane, uncrowded highways in the middle of nowhere like I 70 or 35 or US 36 or 50.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Sounds like me too. I zone out a lot when listening to audiobooks. I probably do when I'm reading as well, but at least then it's easier to go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
You might be more of a visual person. I'd suggest getting a TV/DVD player for your car. Plenty of books have been made into movies so, you should have a nice selection.

If you can't find a movie version of the book you are interested in, there are plenty of local artist groups that could probably perform the book in the car for you. Bonus points to any group that can do it with finger puppets.

At my office, a few of us were talking about audiobooks at lunch, and a similar thing about being visual, then someone suggested that they should make audiobooks where you can see people acting out all the parts. I just about died laughing.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I thought when I first started listening to them I would zone out or get bored. We started listening to them when we would drive back and forth from Cincinnati to Jersey and I actually enjoyed them alot.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Depends what the book is, who does the narration, and my mindset for me. I typically listen to fantasy or "thriller/mystery" books on audio (like DaVinci Code, that class of book). Those usually grab my attention and I can do them as long as I'm not trying to do real work (I mean, at work). I've listened to other novels (currently listening to Northangar Abbey) and some non-fiction (including Madeline Albright's "Memo to the President-Elect"), but I've found that for those, I have to be in the mood for them. For some reason, I've had problems listening to science fiction books unless I really like the narrator (Stephen Fry is one of my favorite ones). The only real sci-fi I've been able to listen to is Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (read by Fry) and Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow (read by Stefan Rudnicki).

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I have never got into audio books because of this reason. I listen to podcasts at work (ESPN Radio, Dan Patrick, TWIT), but I often find myself getting deep in thought in my work, and completely tuning out the podcast.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #9
PilotMan
Head Coach

I listen to books back and forth to work. I listen to whatever I can find that is at the library book sale or some yard sale. Everything from King and Koontz, to Burt Reynolds Bio's or history books.

It's like watching a movie while driving.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:21 AM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Depends what the book is, who does the narration, and my mindset for me. I typically listen to fantasy or "thriller/mystery" books on audio (like DaVinci Code, that class of book). Those usually grab my attention and I can do them as long as I'm not trying to do real work (I mean, at work). I've listened to other novels (currently listening to Northangar Abbey) and some non-fiction (including Madeline Albright's "Memo to the President-Elect"), but I've found that for those, I have to be in the mood for them. For some reason, I've had problems listening to science fiction books unless I really like the narrator (Stephen Fry is one of my favorite ones). The only real sci-fi I've been able to listen to is Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (read by Fry) and Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow (read by Stefan Rudnicki).

/tk

I like Stefan Rudnicki, but his voice puts me to sleep really, really easily.

I love David Aaron Baker (especially the Odd Thomas books) and George Guidall/Frank Muller, though.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote