Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Rest In Peace: Skip Caray

Braves announcer Skip Caray dies | ajc.com

The Atlanta Braves said Sunday longtime broadcaster Skip Caray died in his sleep at his Atlanta home Sunday.

"Our baseball community has lost a legend today," said Braves President John Schuerholz. "The Braves family and Braves fans everywhere will sadly miss him. Our thoughts are with his wife Paula and his children."

This season marked the 33rd year Caray had been calling games for the Atlanta Braves, a majority of which were for TBS, which gave Caray a national audience and fan base.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

The Atlanta Braves said Sunday longtime broadcaster Skip Caray died in his sleep at his Atlanta home Sunday.

"Our baseball community has lost a legend today," said Braves President John Schuerholz. "The Braves family and Braves fans everywhere will sadly miss him. Our thoughts are with his wife Paula and his children."

This season marked the 33rd year Caray had been calling games for the Atlanta Braves, a majority of which were for TBS, which gave Caray a national audience and fan base.

Wow, that's a surprise. He wasn't that old, was he?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

I usually didn't miss a game for about 10 years. Although I haven't watched a game in a very long time, I definitely remember him and his voice. RIP

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

He was 68, would have been 69 on Aug 12, but had spent part of last season recovering from a serious bout with congestive heart failure in addition to diabetes.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-03-2008 at 09:11 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
kcchief19
Pro Starter

He was 68. He was still working wasn't he? I wasn't aware of any illness (looks like Jon has that covered). That's too bad.

Skip could be a wise-acre but he was my kind of wise-acres. I always enjoyed his work on TBS. I think he developed his own style separate from his father. And he was another University of Missouri great. He will be missed.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 08-03-2008 at 09:11 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Oh man... alot of my childhood was listening to Skip and Pete announce the Braves games...

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #7
Atocep
Coordinator

One of the most distinct voices in the game. RIP.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #8
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Oh man... alot of my childhood was listening to Skip and Pete announce the Braves games...
Same here.

RIP
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Much longer version with career highlights & anecdotes has now cleared at

Over the years I got frustrated with the curmudgeon side of Caray at times, something that mostly displayed itself on radio call-in shows rather than TV. But that aside I was 9 years old when he started with the Braves, so he's part of the soundtrack to countless hours of my life as he called over 4,000 games from the absolutely ridiculous ("You have our permission to turn off the TV and go to bed now ... as long as you promise to patronize our sponsors.") to the sublime ("Here comes Bream! Here's the throw to the plate! He iiiiiiiisssssssss ... safe! Braves win! Braves win! Braves win! Braves win! ... Braves win!").

Just doesn't seem right at all to think that we won't hear him when we punch up Braves radio. Godspeed.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:00 PM   #10
digamma
Torchbearer

RIP Skip.

Certainly a major part of my youth, like others here.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:48 AM   #11
miami_fan
Coordinator

Wow, extremely sad news.

RIP
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:49 AM   #12
Schmidty
Coordinator

RIP
Old 08-04-2008, 05:27 AM   #13
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
("Here comes Bream! Here's the throw to the plate! He iiiiiiiisssssssss ... safe! Braves win! Braves win! Braves win! Braves win! ... Braves win!").

Every time I hear or even read that call, I get goose bumps. I'm going to miss that voice.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:20 AM   #14
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

RIP
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:27 AM   #15
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

A great journo grad from Mizzou. Terrible to hear.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #16
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I remember the early days of watching cable TV, and the Braves on TBS were one of the only options for watching baseball. That was in the late '80's, before the Braves got good, and while I had no affection for the team itself, I quickly became a fan of Skip Caray and his wonderfully dry sense of humor and biting sarcasm.

I'm sure most fans around the country have at least one local broadcaster they think is awesome, and I'm no different - I wish the rest of the country had been able to enjoy Dave Niehaus over the years as I have. Thanks to TBS, I got to appreciate Skip Caray as well, and he will be missed.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:51 PM   #17
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

One thing I remember thinking back about the Braves broadcasts over the year and Skip Caray, was something that they did back then which I am not sure why it was even done.

I remember back in the day they would rotate announcers around between AM 750 and the TBS channel 17 on air broadcast, where every 3 innings or so they would rotate around if I remember right. As mentioned above this allowed national audiences to enjoy all of the Braves announcers once cable took off, but I don't remember any other place I have ever lived doing that.

I remember back in the old days before cable tv and such, I used to sit in my room at night trying to pick up old AM stations for baseball games. There were some really powerful stations that would broadcast all the way to Atlanta where I lived.. To this day I think I still remember some of them.. AM 710 I think was the Detroit Tigers, AM 740 was the Reds for instance.

Anyhows, just some random thoughts that this topic brought back for me some 25 years later.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
To this day I think I still remember some of them.. AM 710 I think was the Detroit Tigers, AM 740 was the Reds for instance.

Since I believe Skip would approve, here's a link to the list of the various clear channel AM stations in the US (of which WSB-AM 750 in Atlanta, home of the Braves for so many years, is one).
Clear channel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I spent a lot of years listening to Marty & Joe do the Reds on 700 WLW & Jack Buck with the Cards on 1120 KMOX, just as people elsewhere listened to Skip & Pete and the others with the Braves on 750. Somehow listening online just doesn't have the same charm that fighting through the static used to.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #19
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Much longer version with career highlights & anecdotes has now cleared at

Over the years I got frustrated with the curmudgeon side of Caray at times, something that mostly displayed itself on radio call-in shows rather than TV. But that aside I was 9 years old when he started with the Braves, so he's part of the soundtrack to countless hours of my life as he called over 4,000 games from the absolutely ridiculous ("You have our permission to turn off the TV and go to bed now ... as long as you promise to patronize our sponsors.") to the sublime ("Here comes Bream! Here's the throw to the plate! He iiiiiiiisssssssss ... safe! Braves win! Braves win! Braves win! Braves win! ... Braves win!").

Just doesn't seem right at all to think that we won't hear him when we punch up Braves radio. Godspeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Every time I hear or even read that call, I get goose bumps. I'm going to miss that voice.

YouTube - My Favorite Skip Caray call

For those that want to reminence.

I also grew up listening to Skip Carey on TBS, as my dad was a Braves fan.

R.I.P.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:04 PM   #20
cuervo72
Head Coach

Even as a displaced Phillies fan, I very much enjoyed watching Braves games with Skip and the TBS team (and was pretty annoyed the games were moved from TBS to Sports South or whatever it's called). Sad to hear this.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #21
miami_fan
Coordinator

Damn, I wish TBS would have broadcast the Braves game tonight. I am glad I am getting to hear the radio broadcast though.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 08-04-2008, 11:53 PM   #22
FBPro
College Starter

Man, grew up listening to Skip broadast first the Hawks and then Braves. A "friend" I will certainly miss, one that will not be replaced. RIP Skip.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #23
miami_fan
Coordinator

Damn it's been a year already? Sig change for the day.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #24
Tasan
College Starter

How did I miss this the first time around. I loved that guy's voice and the way he called games.

Last edited by Tasan : 08-03-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #25
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Holy Cow!!! I missed this thread too.

RIP Skip Caray
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #26
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
One of the most distinct voices in the game. RIP.

I agree, and even Met fans appreciated and recognized it whether they liked hearing it or not.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #27
larrymcg421
Head Coach

It will never be the same without Skip and Pete calling the games. Without them, it's just ... baseball.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote