Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #301
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
What are our "official" keeper rules right now? I know we added a rookie keeper thing last year, and I noticed that the post that SI first linked has something about him suggested a different way of doing it. I'd like to throw my two cents into that too. Instead of a three-year period, the league that I run has 2 keepers that you keep. The catch: you cannot keep the same two keepers twice. So if you keep player A and player B this year, you can only keep one of them next year; your other keeper would have to be different. With three keepers, there could be a way to fit the three-year rule in there too. Just an idea.

TBH I am not a fan of this. I don't feel someone who drafted Adrian Peterson should be punished for making a great pick.

Just my opinion.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #302
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Question about the rookie keeper.

If I keep a rookie do I lose my first round pick?
Old 07-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #303
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

How would that be punishing the AP pick? You could keep AP as long as you like - as long as you keep a different 2nd (and in this case, 3rd) guy.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #304
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
How would that be punishing the AP pick? You could keep AP as long as you like - as long as you keep a different 2nd (and in this case, 3rd) guy.

OK, I misread it.

Still, I'm not certain someone should be punished for good drafting.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #305
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'll give the counter-argument: I don't think someone should be hugely rewarded for one good pick either. I think you should have to draft well year after year if you want to compete, not just have gotten lucky (or be bad enough) to get a top pick the year a great player was up to be picked.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #306
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'll give the counter-argument: I don't think someone should be hugely rewarded for one good pick either. I think you should have to draft well year after year if you want to compete, not just have gotten lucky (or be bad enough) to get a top pick the year a great player was up to be picked.

SI

but I don't see how this method rewards good drafting. Lets say I took AP on year and Fitzgerald the year before I'm not sure it's fair I can't keep them both as long as I like.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #307
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, I was more advocating a 3 year limit on a keeper or something like that. I haven't really thought much on this idea.

SI

Old 07-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #308
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm in again, too.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #309
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I don't feel someone who drafted Adrian Peterson should be punished for making a great pick.

I totally agree with this statement. *looks at roster* Oh wow, look at that...

I'll address SI's suggestions later today or tomorrow.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #310
saldana
Pro Starter

i am in for this year

i like the 3 year cap idea...i have quit leagues in the past because the number of keepers was just way too high, and the guys that had stacked teams just stayed stacked, and they won year after year after year.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #311
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Alright, my thoughts on SI's proposed changes:

Quote:
1) A player can only be held for 3 years (we'd start the timer next year so people who have had the same players for years don't get hosed). That way someone doesn't have Peterson or Manning or something for their entire career. It also introduces some better talent into the pool each year. I love having Fitzgerald on my team- I don't think I'll have to get another WR for a long time, barring injury. However, keeper leagues should reward continuously good drafting, not one good draft or one good pick- you should have to keep replenishing your talent.

I'm not in favor of this. For one, injuries and sub par years happen at some point to just about all players. For two, this could end up penalizing bad teams...say if they have one elite player who's in their third year, that puts them further behind the 8 ball when they are forced to dump their one star.

2) isn't relevant since I'm not in favor of 1)

Quote:
3) Defenses suck in this league. Only the top 12 get 100 points and there's not much delineation between good defense and bad ones. I mean, really, we're about to have a pair of 400 point QBs most likely so who cares about 120 point defenses? So, between them not being a keeper and bad scoring, they're not worth much. Give them more for fumbles, safetys, picks, etc. And spread out the scale for points allowed: only 6 for a shutout? A crap receiver or running back gets that for a garbage TD and that's worth more than Pittsburgh's great D this season in a lot of games. Give something like 15 for a shutout, 10 for 1-7, etc, and give negative points if you start giving up more than, say, 24 or 28 so that having a bad defense can hurt.

I'd be fine with upping scoring for defenses, I agree they are currently pretty bad outside of the odd exceptional game.

Quote:
4) Frankly, kickers are the same way. More points for kickers.

I'm not on board with this however. Most kickers score fairly close to each other anyway, so upping the points they give won't change much over a season.

Quote:
5) And then a couple of minor tweaks: tone down QBs slightly, bump up WRs slightly. Top RBs are going for 250+ (262-190 for 1-10), WRs in the 200 (202-153) range, while the top 10 QBs are 254-399. I like QBs being the highest scoring by a healthy margin if we're going to only go with 1 per team because there is no scarcity at all but a good QB performance can negate 2 good RB or WR performances.

Frankly not a huge fan of this either since we have to start 3 wrs and only up to 2 rbs, but I'm not 100% opposed.

Quote:
Also, dumb question- there are no trades in the offseason, right (to jockey for the keepers at different positions, that sort of thing)?
Correct. In some ways I wouldn't mind seeing offseason trading introduced as I think it would entertaining. The only concern I would have is again weaker teams might get weaker by this as it's less likely that there will be excellent players in the player pool. For example last season I kept Peterson instead of Tomlinson, that means someone got to take LT2 with the first pick. With offseason trading, I might've been able to trade him instead and a weaker rb enters the player pool instead.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:17 PM   #312
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Question about the rookie keeper.

If I keep a rookie do I lose my first round pick?

My guess is when we made this rule we didn't say. In previous seasons, the rule has been the players you keep make you give up your 16th, 15th, and 14th picks, or whatever the last three rounds are (in other words, you will always want to keep 3 players), so I'd assume keeping rookies makes you lose your last round pick as well.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #313
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm in again as well. Not in favor of the 3 year limit on keepers.

I'd think a rookie keeper should make you lose your last round pick and not your first as well.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #314
TLK
Pro Starter

I'm 100% sure we discussed that the rookie keeper was in exchange for your last round pick. okay, well 99%. I'm also in favor of no limit on keepers, which is something when you look at who I will keep....lol.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #315
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Fellas, it's been a blast, but I think I am out this year. I didn't pay enough attention last year (and felt bad about ignoring the team). This fall is looking about 5 times busier, so that wont help.

Find a good owner for my crappy, crappy... crappy team!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #316
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sorry to see you go HB, and thanks for all the years of Sportsline hookups!

My opinion is just that a keeper league is just that, you keep 3 players. If somone wins 10 years in a row so be it.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #317
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I haven't done so well, but I'm in for another year.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #318
TLK
Pro Starter

If anyone wants to come up with any official rule change proposals... feel free. I only have one at the moment. I will propably write one up for the keeper rule.

Last edited by TLK : 07-25-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #319
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
If anyone wants to come up with any official rule change proposals... feel free. I only have one at the moment. I will propably write one up for the keeper rule.

bump....

We also have one spot I would like to fill before we vote on the rule changes.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #320
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
bump....

Maybe change the thread title to indicate that?

EDIT: Was already done, nevermind.

Last edited by JAG : 07-26-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot
Old 07-28-2009, 07:01 AM   #321
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:

One last bump...
Old 07-28-2009, 08:59 AM   #322
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Okay i am interested but i am going to need a little time to read through everything.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #323
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Rather than reading 7 pages can someone cut and paste what is important for me to know or at least give me an idea of what pages i need to read?
Old 07-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #324
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Okay i read the rules from the first page and scanned through everything else. Let me know if there is still an opening i would like to join up, looks like fun and definitely different from the norm.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #325
samifan24
Pro Starter

I see the keeper deadline is tomorrow. I know I already posted mine here but can I still change them?
Old 08-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #326
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think so as most of us have left the option open in the event of an injury- here's the new thread:

The FOFC Keeper League - 2009 Season

SI