Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2009, 12:09 AM   #1
RainMaker
General Manager

Traumatizing Event Tonight

This may seem really pussy to some of you but I literally had one of the most traumatizing events of my life tonight. I'm driving down a road and there is a dog in the road who is injured. Looks like he had been hit by a car. I pull over just a little but not far where cars would be able to keep going without going around. I throw on the hazards, and get out of the car to move this dog off to the side of the road and had my brother call emergency assistance to see if they could send someone out to help.

Just as I'm doing this, a van flies around me, swerves back into the lane and destroys the dog. He might not have seen it in time but he didn't stop or anything. Just drove on like nothing happened.

It really shook me up. The sound of it and the yelp from the dog as it happened is in my head right now. I just sat in the car for 5 minutes shaking. Can't explain it. Just one of the most fucked up things I've ever seen. I know some will say it's just a dog but to see that happen right in front of my face and to hear it is really fucking with my head right now.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
This may seem really pussy to some of you but I literally had one of the most traumatizing events of my life tonight. I'm driving down a road and there is a dog in the road who is injured. Looks like he had been hit by a car. I pull over just a little but not far where cars would be able to keep going without going around. I throw on the hazards, and get out of the car to move this dog off to the side of the road and had my brother call emergency assistance to see if they could send someone out to help.

Just as I'm doing this, a van flies around me, swerves back into the lane and destroys the dog. He might not have seen it in time but he didn't stop or anything. Just drove on like nothing happened.

It really shook me up. The sound of it and the yelp from the dog as it happened is in my head right now. I just sat in the car for 5 minutes shaking. Can't explain it. Just one of the most fucked up things I've ever seen. I know some will say it's just a dog but to see that happen right in front of my face and to hear it is really fucking with my head right now.

omg. that's horrible. i...i don't even know what i'd do if that happened.

*cries and runs upstairs to hug my doggy*
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #3
MJ4H
Coordinator

Been through something pretty similar. Fuck people that don't even slow down like that. Sorry, man, it does suck. I'm a major dog person, too.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
MrBug708
Head Coach

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
Danny
Head Coach

I understand the shake up. Something like that is pretty terrible and I'd say it's a good thing if it has some effect on you.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:49 AM   #6
BYU 14
Coordinator

I understand totally, I would be very upset if I had witnessed that. I totally love Dogs because they are so loyal and devoted to their owners. Hell I look at our three like they are more our children then pets.

Sorry you had to see that
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:11 AM   #7
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I can completely sympathize with you. During my first year of teaching, I was running late for work...on the way I saw a cat that had recently got hit. It was crushed on it's back legs and was trying as hard as it could to claw it's way off the road using only it's front paws. I couldn't stop...and I felt horrible I couldn't. At first recess, I rushed back out to where the cat was. It had passed away, maybe 5 feet from where I saw it crawling...looked like it got hit again. I know that it was going to die anyway, but just that image is something I'll never forget...and this is 10 years on.

It's very traumatic. I have no idea what to say to comfort you, just thank God you weren't hurt and hopefully the dog didn't suffer log after the 2nd hit.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:19 AM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Old 07-06-2009, 03:56 AM   #9
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

That's pretty rough. I would be shook up pretty bad.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:58 AM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

That sucks, Rainmaker. Sorry to hear that. At least the poor dog was put out quickly, when you get right down to it. Just an awful thing to have seen, though. I'm gonna go hug my dogs, too.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #11
samifan24
Pro Starter

That's a terrible thing to have witnessed and experienced. I'm sure I would've reacted the same way. Something like that just shakes you.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

That sucks. I agree with everyone else, there's no way I wouldn't have been deeply affected if I witnessed all of that. Such an event would definitely stick with me for a long time.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #13
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

sorry about that man - I'm really happy you are ok and safe - physically - but that's gonna take a while to get over. You're a good man for trying to help.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #14
spleen1015
Coordinator

Dude. I'm with you on this.

The first week I had my current car, I ran over 3 squirrels in the span of 3 days. Every time I felt terrible for the rest of the day.

The sound. The feel. I couldn't get it out of my head.

Sorry man.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #15
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Dude. I'm with you on this.

The first week I had my current car, I ran over 3 squirrels in the span of 3 days. Every time I felt terrible for the rest of the day.

The sound. The feel. I couldn't get it out of my head.

Sorry man.

**THUMP**

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:41 AM   #16
Johnny93g
College Starter

Seen a man standin over a dead dog
lyin by the highway in a ditch
Hes lookin down kinda puzzled
pokin that dog with a stick
Got his car door flung open
hes standin out on highway 31
Like if he stood there long enough
that dog get up and run
Struck me kinda funny seem kinda funny sir to me
At the end of every hard earned day people find some reason to believe
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #17
King of New York
High School Varsity

I'm really sorry that that happened. Thanks for trying to help.

I've only been in a similar situation once, and every time I remember it, I feel just as shaken up as I did at the time. Seeing a helpless animal suffer like that is just gut-wrenching.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #18
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
**THUMP**

dude
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #19
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Damn, that sucks. Guess this is what’s meant by no good deed going unpunished.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #20
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I with you 100%. I am sorry that you had to go through that. I don't know what I would do in that situation.

But it may have been for the better. If the dog was seriously hurt, it may have been in a great deal of pain. At least it was able to go quickly.

It really pisses me off the way people treat their dogs. The reasons we say strays dead in the road is because people can not have their dogs spayed or neutered. They just let them run free. It is really frustrating.

I think that dogs are little pieces of Heaven on earth. It infuriates me to no end how they are treated by some people.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #21
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Nothing pussy about it. People who don't treat animals well are bastard-coated bastards.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #22
JeffNights
College Prospect

Quote:
**THUMP**

I hope a pet of yours gets run over, let me see little smiley face then.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #23
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Pussy....

Sorry, someone had to say it.

Actually, I can understand. Seeing it sucks. I have hit a squirrel before, that didn't affect me much (damn thing ran past me across the road and then turned back to run back in front of me and it was too late for me to do anything but go straight and see what happened so it was his own damn fault), but would hate to hit someone's pet or see one hit as you did.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:58 PM   #24
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNights View Post
I hope a pet of yours gets run over, let me see little smiley face then.

I think he was responding to DT's squirrel story.

Though I don't know why DT was running over a fellow WW player...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #25
Flasch186
Coordinator

When I was in high school I was on my way home on a dark and kind of rural road. A dog was in the road, hit and hurting bad, its intestines had come out his rectum some. Anyways, it was near a driveway but it was late. I wasnt sure if it was there dog or not but I summoned the courage to go to the door and ring the doorbell...it was probably midnight and no lights were on. A voice from behind the door yelled out, "What do you want?!" I answered, "Im sorry to bother you but there is a dog out here, in the road. Its been hit and hurt pretty bad. I wasnt sure if it was yours or not." The voice answered, "We dont own a dog. Go away." So I spent the next 5 minutes or so commiserating with the dog in the road. I didnt know what to do and eventually drove away leaving the dog, but that dog and its memory have haunted me ever since and I wish I wouldve had more courage to do more at the time.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 07-06-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #26
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Oh my god. Just reading that was traumatizing.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #27
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Thats horrible - sorry to hear about that.

(and from the 'wuss' perspective - my brother in law is a big M**** *****er and I saw him reduced to tears when we were out doing MotoX in our early twenties and he accidentally ran over a rabbit ... imho showing concern for another living creature is a GOOD thing, never be ashamed of it)

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 07-06-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Count me in on, "that would shake me up too"
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #29
RainMaker
General Manager

After a night of reflecting, it was the sound that got me. A quick yelp as it happened. The crazy thing I didn't even think about is how quickly that guy swerved back into the lane. I literally would have been killed if I had gotten to the dog sooner.

He literally just yanked the car back in the lane. He had to have felt he hit something but went on. He couldn't possibly know that it wasn't a person. Why the fuck wouldn't you stop to see what you hit? Especially when there was a car pulled over there with hazards on.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:23 AM   #30
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I think he was responding to DT's squirrel story.

Though I don't know why DT was running over a fellow WW player...

Yeah, I've put at least 10 squirrels out of business in my neighborhood. I never intentionally try to hit them. As fast as they are, they always look like they'll make it, but then for some stupid reason, they always seem to make a quick turn. Not the brightest of animals and we've got a bunch of them in the neighborhood. I know the sound when squirrel meets tire quite well.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #31
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, I've put at least 10 squirrels out of business in my neighborhood. I never intentionally try to hit them. As fast as they are, they always look like they'll make it, but then for some stupid reason, they always seem to make a quick turn. Not the brightest of animals and we've got a bunch of them in the neighborhood. I know the sound when squirrel meets tire quite well.

doesn't matter what it was in reference to, it was absolutely brainless to post it in this thread.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #32
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
After a night of reflecting, it was the sound that got me. A quick yelp as it happened. The crazy thing I didn't even think about is how quickly that guy swerved back into the lane. I literally would have been killed if I had gotten to the dog sooner.

He literally just yanked the car back in the lane. He had to have felt he hit something but went on. He couldn't possibly know that it wasn't a person. Why the fuck wouldn't you stop to see what you hit? Especially when there was a car pulled over there with hazards on.

I know the yelp sound and it really sucks. I mean, my dog yelps when I clip his nails, and every single time it gets to me.

So sorry this happened to you man.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:28 AM   #33
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
doesn't matter what it was in reference to, it was absolutely brainless to post it in this thread.

Meh. I've slaughtered animals before I ate them on my grandparents' farm. Such is life. That's far worse than a stupid squirrel who decided to do his last impersonation of a speed bump. Sorry, I just don't get that worked up over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
I know the yelp sound and it really sucks. I mean, my dog yelps when I clip his nails, and every single time it gets to me.

LOL. You do know that if you're dog is yelping when you trim his nails, that you're not trimming them properly, don't you?

Cripes. Spend the $20 and get them trimmed by a professional if you're going to turn nail-trimming into Gitmo, doggy-style.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:47 AM   #34
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Wow - Mizzou - you're an ass.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:58 AM   #35
Flasch186
Coordinator

I think he's actually a character on The Office.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #36
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Wow - Mizzou - you're an ass.

Do I want something like that to happen to one of my pets? No. But there's no question that the sensitivity to this kind of thing depends on previous life experiences. So if I've offended anyone's sensitivities, I apologize.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #37
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I just think you should take other people feelings in consideration before you post something obnoxious like you did - guess that is not your style... You may be numb to running over animals but some (I think majority of people) actually feel some emotion when killing an animal by accident.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #38
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Do I want something like that to happen to one of my pets? No. But there's no question that the sensitivity to this kind of thing depends on previous life experiences. So if I've offended anyone's sensitivities, I apologize.

psst. hey dummy, keep it out of THIS thread. it's not rocket science.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #39
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
psst. hey dummy, keep it out of THIS thread. it's not rocket science.

Thanks. I've signed up to attended the next PETA sensitivity training session in my area in case another thread like this comes along at some point.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #40
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks. I've signed up to attended the next PETA sensitivity training session in my area in case another thread like this comes along at some point.

no need to make yourself look like even more of an idiot. Just apologize and back away. Surely there's a console thread somewhere you can shit on, yes?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #41
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Just because you have empathy for an animal doesn't mean you're a card carrying member of PETA. I think feeling emotion toward the death of animals is a natural thing and would argue that those who don't have some psychological issues.

It doesn't mean you have to cry everytime you hit an animal crossing the street. But I think when most people do, a little bit of them has a "fuck, that sucks" that crosses their mind.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #42
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Meh. I've slaughtered animals before I ate them on my grandparents' farm. Such is life. That's far worse than a stupid squirrel who decided to do his last impersonation of a speed bump. Sorry, I just don't get that worked up over it.

LOL. You do know that if you're dog is yelping when you trim his nails, that you're not trimming them properly, don't you?

Cripes. Spend the $20 and get them trimmed by a professional if you're going to turn nail-trimming into Gitmo, doggy-style.

LOL. Yes. I do know that. My dog is just fucking terrified of it. I know exactly how to do it.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #43
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Rainmaker... Think of it this way: in the last moments of that dog's life, he may have known that someone was looking to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
I can completely sympathize with you. During my first year of teaching, I was running late for work...on the way I saw a cat that had recently got hit. It was crushed on it's back legs and was trying as hard as it could to claw it's way off the road using only it's front paws. I couldn't stop...and I felt horrible I couldn't. At first recess, I rushed back out to where the cat was. It had passed away, maybe 5 feet from where I saw it crawling...looked like it got hit again. I know that it was going to die anyway, but just that image is something I'll never forget...and this is 10 years on.

It's very traumatic. I have no idea what to say to comfort you, just thank God you weren't hurt and hopefully the dog didn't suffer log after the 2nd hit.

I saw a cat once that had been similarly run over. Half of it was flat. The other half was just twitching. I hated to do it, but I aimed the wheel to put it out of any misery it may have had.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote