Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
tarcone
Coordinator

Sears Tower Glass Floor Balconies

Man, I dont know If I could do this. I may try though. When I get to Chicago this is on the list of things to do.

hxxp://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/us_sears_tower_ledge

103 stories up in the air.

tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It isn't the Sears tower anymore.

But good luck with that. No way I'd be up that high off the ground.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Awesome.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It isn't the Sears tower anymore.

But good luck with that. No way I'd be up that high off the ground.

Actually, it still is. From the article linked:

"The building's name will change to Willis Tower later this summer."
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Eh whatever.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:02 AM   #6
Lorena
Unregistered

If I'm standing on glass, I'd rather look over the Grand Canyon - Grand Canyon Skywalk Pictures

Still, visiting the Sears Tower or whatever it's called is on my Bucket List.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:32 AM   #7
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
If I'm standing on glass, I'd rather look over the Grand Canyon - Grand Canyon Skywalk Pictures

Still, visiting the Sears Tower or whatever it's called is on my Bucket List.

My fear of heights kicked in just looking at those pictures. Very cool though.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:42 AM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

No fuckin way am i paying like 60 or 75 bucks to get to that skywalk thing.

There's a thread here somewhere about it.

Grand Canyon Skywalk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No cameras, they charge you 30 bucks for a photo as well.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:22 AM   #9
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I think the balcony would be worse than the Grand Canyon.

As for my fear of heights. The little girl laying down made me VERY ANXIOUS. The Indian fellow standing at the edge of the Grand Canyon, was pretty bad as well. The little girl laying down on that sheet of glass. Gave me shivers.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

They've had this for years at the CN Tower. I didn't have a hard time with it even though I don't like heights, but Mrs. Leafs almost had a meltdown.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:20 AM   #11
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
They've had this for years at the CN Tower. I didn't have a hard time with it even though I don't like heights, but Mrs. Leafs almost had a meltdown.

Yep, I have done this at the CN tower. I last went to the sears tower in the 1980, long before they had these there.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #12
tarcone
Coordinator

Speaking of fear of heights.
I went the the St louis Arch and they show a movie on the construction of the arch. I dont mind heights, but I dont like being high up in the air with no protection. So going in the arch is cool and I like looking straight down, knowing I wont fall.
Back to the story. In the movie about the arch, which was built before OSHA, there are guys walking on the top of the arch, with no safety equipment. That just freaked me out.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #13
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I wish these would have been around when I was there in October. The Skydeck alone is really awesome (and we went at night, which made it even cooler) but those balconies would give a sweet view.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #14
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Jumping up and down on the glass floor was hard to do - my body and mind were freaking out.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #15
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
"The building's name will change to Willis Tower later this summer."

What'choo talkin' bout???
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #16
whomario
Pro Starter

this is pretty awesome. Doesn´t mean i would go up there, but still I´m terrible with heights as well, when i see people jumping and running around on edges i am torn between screaming at them and turning around and look the other way ...
Heck, i can´t even fotograph well near edges and in big heights because of some weird fear of throwing away my camera (i literally have an urge to let it drop to have both my hands free to hold onto sth).
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #17
Sporkimata
High School JV

Yeah saw a pic of that the other day, my heart nearly stopped. I hate heights. Went to Vegas a few years back and could not stand to be up in the stratosphere.
Sporkimata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #18
DanGarion
Coordinator

NO!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #19
BYU 14
Coordinator

Aw hell no, I got shaky knees just looking out from a normal window when we were there a couple of years back.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #20
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I've been on the glass floor in the CN Tower.

Looking Down from the CN Tower on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #21
tarcone
Coordinator

Of course there is always the Royal Gorge Skycoaster:

royal gorge skycoaster - Google Image Search

Last edited by tarcone : 07-02-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #22
whomario
Pro Starter

moving pictures from inside the Box of Death :

YouTube - A view from the Sears Tower "Ledge"

kids ...
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #23
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I think I have a weird fear of heights. I'm fine with heights to a point and have no problems flying, but things like this and the one at CN Tower (which I have been to) just bother the heck out of me. I can't quite seem to have the fatalist attitude I'd have while flying. Maybe it's a more personal choice and that it'd be my own fault for being the one-in-a-billion sucker who somehow caused the glass to break rather than being the unlucky passenger in a plane that crashes due to pilot error or some other reason. It's also possible that a plane crash would be a rather instantaneous way to go in many cases while a deadly plummet from 1,500-2,000 feet would be several seconds of terror before finishing, thus less unnerving.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #24
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Wait, how is a plane crash "instantaneous?" Wouldn't you be going down a looooooong time, knowing your death was imminent as your stomach made its way up your esophagus and your pants filled with your own terror? I guess you'd have something under you, which would be something. That and you might live and end up running from smoke monsters for several confusing years.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:00 AM   #25
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
Wait, how is a plane crash "instantaneous?" Wouldn't you be going down a looooooong time, knowing your death was imminent as your stomach made its way up your esophagus and your pants filled with your own terror? I guess you'd have something under you, which would be something. That and you might live and end up running from smoke monsters for several confusing years.

Well, aside from the incident with the Brazil-Paris plane a few weeks back, most times plane crashes will be either on takeoff or landing, so there wouldn't exactly be a lot of time to prepare. It's also a reasonable expectation that the pilots will be skilled enough to save a plane that's in danger so while you would be filled with some anxiety that something bad could happen, it could be offset by the hope that something bad won't happen. Dropping off a building provides no such luxury.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:27 AM   #26
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

If I could get over the terror of getting on that balcony I wonder if you can rent it out privately for a bit.... it would be a great place to have sex.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #27
RainMaker
General Manager

Is there a weight limit or rules as to what you can do on it (no jumping)? I'm sure it's safe, but it looks like it's not. Maybe that's part of the lure of the glass.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:57 PM   #28
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I'd lose my mind up there
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:03 PM   #29
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Jumping up and down on the glass floor was hard to do - my body and mind were freaking out.

lathum and i went to the CN tower about 10 years ago...i am terrrified of heights, and didnt want to go on the glass floor at all....meanwhile, he was jumping up and down on it and laid on it so i could take a picture of him looking straight down...he made fun of me for about 10 minutes til i finally caved in and tried to walk accross...i made it about 3 quarters of the way before i started to freak, ran to the edge, and fell down on one knee trying to decide if i was going to pass out or vomit.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #30
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
lathum and i went to the CN tower about 10 years ago...i am terrrified of heights, and didnt want to go on the glass floor at all....meanwhile, he was jumping up and down on it and laid on it so i could take a picture of him looking straight down...he made fun of me for about 10 minutes til i finally caved in and tried to walk accross...i made it about 3 quarters of the way before i started to freak, ran to the edge, and fell down on one knee trying to decide if i was going to pass out or vomit.

So which did you decide on?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #31
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

I think there probably is a sum of money for which I would HAVE to do this, but without some form of incentive...I don't think I could manage that.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #32
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post

I'm actually just as bad...seeing someone else out there. My son or daughter standing on a balcony...any balcony ,not just a glass one, makes me very nervous.

We sometimes park in a parking garage with that was designed with concrete columns about 8 inches apart forming the exterior wall. To me this is just large enough for my kids to fall through, as a result. I don't let them walk near that wall. I can't explain it. I'm just sure they're going to trip fall or jump through the opening. Add the factor that the floor could just give way beneath them, and I can't imagine what the glass floor would do to me.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #33
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Meh. Here's one with a 4,000 foot drop:

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #34
TheNorm
Mascot

Oh hell yeah, I gotta go check this out--moved here a month ago and haven't started my new job yet. Something to hit up in the next few days.
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote