Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
Lorena
Unregistered

The Undisputed Sweatiest City in the U.S. Is.......

Phoenix, congrats. But at least it's a dry heat

Old Spice Recognizes Phoenix as America's Undisputed Sweatiest City: - Forbes.com

CINCINNATI, July 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Old Spice, the nation's leading male anti-perspirant/deodorant brand, today named reigning champion Phoenix the "Undisputed Sweatiest City" in celebration of summer - and in preparation for many summers to come. As the final year for this popular summertime study, Old Spice is also recognizing the Top-20 All-Time Sweatiest Cities, hot spots across the country that burned up the charts year after year.

"As temperatures heat up this summer, people across the country can't help but think about the sweat that comes with the season - and Old Spice developed its annual Sweatiest Cities rankings as a fun way to get them talking about the problem and how to cope with it," said James Moorhead, Old Spice deodorant brand manager. "There's no denying that Phoenix is one hot city in the summer. They've taken the title six out of the eight years we've done the study, so we're naming them 'Undisputed Sweatiest City.'"

To earn top spot as "Undisputed Sweatiest City," Phoenix's average temperature was 94 degrees in June, July and August during 2001-2008, resulting in the average Phoenix resident producing 27.7 ounces of sweat per hour (more than 2 cans of soda). With scorching temperatures often in the triple digits, Phoenix truly lives up to its nickname the Valley of the Sun, taking this top honor in 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, and again in 2009. As the "Unidisputed Sweatiest City," Old Spice is sending Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon 94 sticks of deodorant - a nod to the city's average summer temperature - to donate to his charity of choice.

-- Don't mess with Texas! The Lone Star State sweats big, with seven cities appearing in the Top-20 All-Time Sweatiest Cities. San Antonio comes in at No. 2, followed by Dallas (No. 4), Houston (No. 5), El Paso (No. 13), Waco (No. 15), Austin (No. 16) and Corpus Christi (No. 19). Collectively, these seven cities produce more than 1.3 million gallons of sweat each summer - enough to fill the 400,000-gallon Dolphin Bay at the Texas State Aquarium more than three times!

-- Another Gulf state, Florida, also dominates the list. The Sunshine State is home to 25 percent of the Top-20 All-Time Sweatiest Cities. Miami comes in at No. 7, followed by West Palm Beach (No. 8), Tampa (No. 9), Orlando (No. 10) and Fort Myers (No. 14). Although Texas has more cities on the list, Florida actually comes out on top when it comes to quantity of sweat (due to larger populations). Collectively, the five Florida cities produce nearly 2 million gallons of sweat - enough to fill Shamu's tank in about 3.25 hours (that's 6.5 million gallons)!

TOP-20 ALL-TIME SWEATIEST CITIES IN AMERICA

Brought to You By the Sweat Experts at Old Spice

1. Phoenix, AZ
2. San Antonio, TX
3. Las Vegas, NV
4. Dallas, TX
5. Houston, TX
6. New Orleans, LA
7. Miami, FL
8. West Palm Beach, FL
9. Tampa, FL
10. Orlando, FL
11. Memphis, TN
12. Tucson, AZ
13. El Paso, TX
14. Fort Myers, FL
15. Waco, TX
16. Austin, TX
17. Birmingham, AL
18. Shreveport, LA
19. Corpus Christi, TX
20. Mobile, AL

Tips to Stay Cool, Dry and Sweat Free This Summer

-- Water - Drink plenty of fluids to replace what you lose through perspiration - at least eight to 10 glasses of water per day - more if you're outdoors and very active. -- Replace Salt and Minerals - Sweating removes salt and minerals from the body. If participating in a strenuous activity where you anticipate heavy perspiration, drink fruit juices and sports beverages to replace the lost minerals. -- Choose Clothes Wisely - Wear lightweight, light-colored clothes that breathe easily.

-- Reduce Sweat Output and Stay Odor Free - Use an anti-perspirant/deodorant daily such as Old Spice, offering a product line-up that will keep guys smelling and looking their best even on the hottest, muggiest summer days.

Methodology

The Sweatiest Cities rankings are based on computer simulations of the amount of sweat a person of average height and weight would produce walking around for an hour in the average temperatures during the summer months, based on historical weather data during June, July and August from 2001-2008 for each city.

Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
Lorena
Unregistered

"resulting in the average Phoenix resident producing 27.7 ounces of sweat per hour (more than 2 cans of soda)."

I can't drink a can of soda w/out thinking of this.. eww.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
MikeVic
Head Coach

Eww.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

THIS MOUNTAIN DEW THROWBACK IN A CAN IS TASTY NOW

GEE THANKS
Old 07-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
Autumn
Head Coach

It looks like we've solved the water shortage in the West
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Another nice mental image, to go with the episode of Escaped I watched last night about 3 people stranded on Guardian Angel Island for 14 days who survived by drinking what was left in pop bottles that washed up on shore.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
StLee
High School Varsity

Speaking of cans of sweat, in Korea there is a sweat-flavored sports drink. Why is it sweat-flavored? I have no idea. Some people love it. I don't care for it, so I stick to water and Gatorade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pocari_Sweat_(Otsuka_Pharmaceutical).jpg (173.5 KB, 62 views)

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
Lorena
Unregistered

well that's pretty disgusting
Old 07-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
Tasan
College Starter

I call BS. Any sweaty city list that doesn't have Houston in the top 3 is flat out wrong.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #10
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
I call BS. Any sweaty city list that doesn't have Houston in the top 3 is flat out wrong.
Phoenix and San Antonio over Houston and New Orleans? Humidity matters.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #11
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

I completely agree. I lived in Phoenix for 2 years but the sweat was nothing compared to being in South Florida or Houston for 2 days. I don't understand the methodology. Apparently they factor in evaporation?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

Glad somebody else pointed this out. I pretty much discounted the results completely once it seemed they were working from temperature without accounting for humidity adequately.

People in Hell don't want to go to Memphis in the summer.