Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The Village Idiot (3.31.2025)

The Assassins Strike Back

After being buried for several years within the mediocrity of the Continental League cellar, could this year be the season that Apex strikes back and get into the playoffs once more? Apex made several offseason moves in order to play for this season and VI feels that those moves may very well pay off for them.

The Assassins lineup boasts what might be the best two hitters in the CL, 2B Andre Bryant and Rightfielder Alfredo Miranda. They are protected in the batting order by the poor-hitting but powerful Catcher Orlando Navarro. Navarro might not hit the .273 from two seasons ago, but he has to do better than the .214 from last season. His true ability likely will fall somewhere between the past two seasons. The combination of the three hitters should help at least keep Apex in each game, but the strength of the team is of course built around pitching.

Mark Chattaway is a very under-appreciated veteran pitcher that helps anchor a staff of youngsters. Look for Josh Hinkle to improve on last season's solid rookie performance by turning in possibly one of the better seasons this year. Likewise fellow youngster Miguel Angel Herrera could be VI's pick to have a breakout season this year.

The road back to the playoffs will be rough for Apex, as they still have to contend with Baltimore and Edmonton, but they might very well have the pieces to do so this season.

The Race to 569

The number 568 has a magical meaning in FOOL history, as it is the 15 year old record for the most Home Runs in a career for a player, held by former Colorado Ranchero Felipe 'The King' Aguilera. Perhaps it is not just coincidence that Aguilera broke the previous record of 564 home runs exactly 15 years after it was set. Once again, we are sitting at the threshold of the most prestigious record in FOOL possibly being toppled once more.

The closest to the Home Run record is former Settler, present Hooligan Daniel Gil. Gil currently sits at 524 home runs, just 44 Homers away from tying the record. In the offseason Gil changed to the hitter friendly Republic league that might help assist his assault on Aguilera. Gil has twice hit more than 44 home runs in a season, and 5 times hit more than 40 in a season, so it could be possible. At 39 years of age however, he has not hit more than 40 in 5 seasons. It might take him 2 seasons or longer to reach even #2 on the all time Home Run list Bobby Barrett.

If Gil should falter, only 36 HR behind and 6 years younger is Chico Superstar Hector Romero. It would take a feat of super-human strength for Romero to amass the 80 Home runs he needs in just one season, but over the past four seasons Romero has averaged over 40 HR per season. It might not be out of reach for him to get to 569 Homers and take the record before Gil even!

Either way, look for the big fireworks to occur in 2026 when fans lineup to watch every single at bat from both Gil and Romero to see who will reach the record first!

Young players to watch:

The next big pitcher to watch out for in the majors could possibly arrive this season. 21 year old Japanese import Naofumi "Wolf" Ueda last season pitched better than a 9-10 record suggests for Colorado's AA franchise. Some scouts say his big problem right now could be control, but even with the frequent walks he could still be a solid #3 starter in the big leagues. It is only a matter of time for him to fine tune his placement and become possibly a stud in the Republic League.

Perhaps the best Rookie hitter this year could be Ann Arbor Outfielder Jesus Estrada. In AAA last season, he had an OPS of close to 1.000, and is a four tool player. His only shortfall is a lack of power, but that is made up for with a great ability to drive anything pitched at him into the gaps. He currently is listed in the Ann Arbor organization as a Rightfielder, but many wonder if his lack of arm strength might end up placing him in Centerfield or Left field permanently.

And the winners are....

Baltimore, Apex and Edmonton should continue another close three team race like last season, but this year Edmonton is the odd man out. Watch for Montreal to suprise people with their youth movement as they could still compete late into the season. The Majestics just don't have the horsepower to make it the entire way.

Over in the Republic League, New York is simply the strongest team in the league. Ann Arbor and Colorado both look to be very talented teams and will compete for the second spot. Look for the Rancheros to best them this time around. Either way, whoever makes it as the #2 team in the RL likely will get run over by New York in the playoffs.

The Village Idiot notes that New York has won the FOOL Championship in 3 of the last 7 Odd number years. This will make it the 4th time in the last 8 odd number seasons.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
muns
Pro Starter

good read as usual. Thank ya Alan!!!
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Montreal_GM
College Benchwarmer

In Montreal I'm trying my best to piece together a good team before the big implosion when Quero retires. It's hard! My farm system is bare thanks to the good years and 4 players eat up 43 Million dollars in payroll. That said, I'm optimistic about the upcoming season.
Montreal_GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
muns
Pro Starter

I got tickets to the O's redsox game tonight, so i wont be making the sim. Just wanted to say good luck to everyone, and hopefully it will be another fun filled season again this year!!
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Gil is not the best against lefties, and as a result, he will see slightly less time against those pitchers, although he will still be rotated in fairly often. But that figures to cut into his pursuit at least a little bit. My guess is, short of a complete drop off in ability, Gill will break it next year (and ahead of Romero).

I assume Romero will catch and pass Gil at some point, although it might not be until Gil retires.

The Hooligans will be solid this season. Not saying we're as good as the teams mentioned for the RL, but I cautiously optimistic we will be in the mix for a spot.

I am always a little worried about my pitching, but fact of the matter is, I always end up pretty good in pitching, usually Top Three in the RL, and the staff hasn't changed that much. Hernandez returns, and I expect the rotation to get a big boost from the full time addition of Manuel Cardona, who was a reliever last year, but has high #2 SP ability. Steady Davis returns, and Eddie Coleman, featured in last season's VI will split starts with Manuel Lopez.

The pen looks strong, even with the loss of Candeloro. His role had fallen off a lot in recent seasons. De Los Santos and Holwell are very good relievers, Carlton Abbott looks like the latest quality relief addition from the farm system, and former starter Will Brooks should be a tremendous addition to the pen.

I was worried about hitting for power last year. I am less worried about it this year. Gil's a big reason why. If he gives me what I hope to get (30-100), then that will be much better than last year's DH Scotty Guthrie. Gil and Aguilar can both hit 30, and Souza and Cuevas can hit 20, and then just about everyone else in the lineup can drive the ball really well, and if they're not getting homeruns, they're getting gappers.

I expect the pitching will be about the same, or slightly improve, and the hitting will be significantly better, and that should have me a tick or two over .500 and contending for a spot, IMO.

I do think I'll fall short, end up 3rd or 4th, and then look to next year, when big time prospects, Bignell, Doran, Rosales and maybe even Dudley Jackson will likely arrive in Hammersmith.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote