Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Yankee tickets?

Anyone have any tips on getting Yankee tickets? I may be in NY on the July 4 weekend and would like to see one or two games of the Jays series.

Two questions:
- Any tips on getting good tickets? Is it just the usual stubhub, ebay stuff, or is there something I should know?
- Any recommendations on sections to avoid and/or look for? I'd be looking for the cheaper stuff obviously, I don't need sushi and a moat to enjoy a game.

Thanks.

Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

Well, the thing is, I was reading an article in...shit, SI or something like that, talking about how the good seats (the ones with a face value of hundreds of dollars) were going for well below that on stubhub because there isn't really any demand for them.

I just took a look at the Yankees' website for the July 4 and July 5 games, and they have plenty of tickets for the expensive seats, but none at all, evidently, for the grandstand/bleacher seats. Might be the same phenomenon at work - people who want to go to Yankee games, don't want to pay $900 for a ticket, so they're buying the (comparatively cheap) $13 and $23 stuff instead. Those seats might actually BE selling at some kind of markup on ebay or stubhub.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Anyone have any tips on getting Yankee tickets? I may be in NY on the July 4 weekend and would like to see one or two games of the Jays series.

Two questions:
- Any tips on getting good tickets? Is it just the usual stubhub, ebay stuff, or is there something I should know?
- Any recommendations on sections to avoid and/or look for? I'd be looking for the cheaper stuff obviously, I don't need sushi and a moat to enjoy a game.

Thanks.

Stubhub is great for getting to both of the new NY stadiums. Brokers bought up so many seats expecting to make profits, and the current economy has killed them. You can definitely come in under face, even well under face if you wait until a couple days before the game.

Craigslist is another good avenue. The best deals will also come a day before, or even day of, again if you're willing to wait even longer than with stubhub. You can set up a meet in the city or in front of the stadium, I've done it with random people...no problems.

Of course, it being a holiday weekend could result in not having the same opportunities for deals as weekday or normal weekend games. I would think a lot of NYers could be heading out of town and would offer up their seats, but the demand from out of towners coming in for the weekend could balance that out.

Maybe search out a Yankees forum and see if people are already trying to get rid of their seats knowing they'll be gone?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I just took a look at the Yankees' website for the July 4 and July 5 games, and they have plenty of tickets for the expensive seats, but none at all, evidently, for the grandstand/bleacher seats. Might be the same phenomenon at work - people who want to go to Yankee games, don't want to pay $900 for a ticket, so they're buying the (comparatively cheap) $13 and $23 stuff instead. Those seats might actually BE selling at some kind of markup on ebay or stubhub.

We noticed this for our July trip. You can pay $40 for awful seats- upper deck, bleachers, etc. Or you can pay $100 for great seats. But there are no crappy seats for cheap. Apparently the $100-$1000 seats glutted the market and then they had the whole deal where they sent out extra tickets to a bunch of their expensive season ticket holders since they didn't sell and they all promptly went on stubhub.

Well, we went for an "alternative". We got some of the $5 tickets in center field. They're obstructed view because they put a giant restaurant in there so from the left field seats you can't see part of right field and vice versa. As we're there for a Monday night game against the Orioles, we figure we'll be able to practice that long standing tradition of moving around and finding better seats. Even if we don't, it wasn't going to be worth $30 or $40 for crappy seats so we'll just take our $5 crappy seats.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-09-2009 at 11:11 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Ended up finding some seats in section 120, with a face value of $350 each, for half of that on stubhub.

However, never having used stubhub before I didn't realize that I wasn't actually buying the tickets yet, and still have to wait around for the seller to confirm. Anyone know what the failure rate on these sort of things is like?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ended up finding some seats in section 120, with a face value of $350 each, for half of that on stubhub.

However, never having used stubhub before I didn't realize that I wasn't actually buying the tickets yet, and still have to wait around for the seller to confirm. Anyone know what the failure rate on these sort of things is like?

Odd. Maybe it's just because I did it on short notice, but I sold tickets today on stubhub (for a game tonight) and I didn't have to confirm anything.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That's a new one on me, having bought tickets for several things from them & never had to wait for any seller confirmation before. IIRC I may have seen something kind of like that once, but it was like confirmation of them shipping, not selling. Wonder if what you got was a Yankee Stadium (or certain venues) thing or something new for every location?

Anyway, fwiw, I've had nothing but good luck (to my surprise admittedly) on 3 or 4 purchases with Stubhub so hopefully you'll have the same experience.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Yeah, already received the confirmation so it looks like I'm all set.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Anyway, fwiw, I've had nothing but good luck (to my surprise admittedly) on 3 or 4 purchases with Stubhub so hopefully you'll have the same experience.

Same and it's up to something like 10 times for me. Very happy with the system Stubhub has, tho you do pay a bit on service fees. I guess I notice it more than someone buying a pair of $130 tickets. Our 4 games for the July trip cost under $100 per person (Yanks, Phils, Nats, O's).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-23-2009 at 07:40 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I used stubhub for tickets to the Yanks last year and I don't recall waiting to receive a confirmation either. I clicked yeah, bought the tickets, and a few days later, they arrived by Fed Ex.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:31 PM   #11
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I don't remember the confirmation thing either, but when I bought tickets this year, there was a confirmation process. Took about a day, so I'm not sure what they do when the tickets are for that night or the next day.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote