Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-13-2003, 12:44 PM   #1
Franklinnoble
Banned

Ralph Wiley Sucks

So, I click on a "Page 2" link to get what I expect to be at least a mildly informative and entertaining preview of the AFC this season. (click here to read)

Much to my chagrin, it's another column by the linguistically challenged Ralph Wiley.

Am I missing something here? Why is this idiot employed as a writer? Since when did it become acceptable for a column to be written in ebonics? Every time I make the mistake of trying to read one of his articles, I want to gouge my eyes out.

Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 12:54 PM   #2
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hmm, I've never had that view of him. I don't quite get the R-Dub/Road Dog alter-ego thing he has going, but haven't had any problems with his columns.

On a related note, anyone have any idea what happened to Alan Grant? I'm assuming he was let go by ESPNMag?
Old 08-13-2003, 01:17 PM   #3
j51
Mascot

I remember a column of his last season which stereotyped every Cowboy fan as a trailer park redneck, hating Quincy Carter because he's black, and rooting for Chad Hutchinson because he's white. Nevermind the fact that the Cowboys were the first team in history to have three black QBs at the top of the depth chart. Rather hard to take him seriously after that.

edit: heres the column if anyones interested link

Last edited by j51 : 08-13-2003 at 01:20 PM.
j51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 03:17 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

He has a history of doing that, and he's hard to read precisely because everything to him is black and white. It's disgusting.

Rob Neyer responded to one of his outrageous assertions - that no one either read or took much issue with - from a column in July. Here's the pasage that Neyer quoted in his own column:

"It is usually the American-born blacks' records and place that are resented instead of celebrated. For example, it's the stolen base that is denigrated as a weapon by baseball sabermetricians like Bill James, at precisely the time when a Rickey Henderson steals 130 bases in a season. There are sour grapes when a baseball man uses stats to tell you a stolen base isn't important. Any time a baseball manager will give up an out for a base, as with a sac bunt or groundball to the right side, any time a base is so precious, then it goes without saying that the stolen base must be important. Not the CS, the caught stealing, or stats of success rates, but the stolen base itself.
-- Ralph Wiley in ESPN.com's Page 2, July 15"

I read that article of Wiley's in disbelief. White sabermetricians are actively working to use stats to make black baseball players seem worthless, and have contributed to the decreasing populaton of black in the majors. I think I've heard just about everything now...

Here's Neyer's article, in which he dismisses both Wiley's argument and another writer's:

Neyer Article
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-13-2003 at 03:19 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 03:34 PM   #5
Samdari
Roster Filler

I used to hate Ralph Wiley, or more specifically, hate his page 2 columns. Read those and one is left wondering if ESPN.com needed someone to represent the illiterate demographic.

But, he is a semi-regular guest on the local evening rush hour sports radio program (a radio verision of ESPN's Sunday morning Sports Reporters program). He regularly gives the best thought out opinions and expresses them extraordinarily well. He actually has a phenomenal command of the language. He is far from illiterate, why does he play one on Page 2?
Old 08-13-2003, 04:09 PM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't necessarily think he's illiterate, I just think he panders to the Jesse Jackson crowd with the positions he takes.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 04:18 PM   #7
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
I don't necessarily think he's illiterate, I just think he panders to the Jesse Jackson crowd with the positions he takes.

All the more reason to dislike him...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote