Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-08-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
Peregrine
Pro Starter

International Travel

I know we probably have some wide-ranging travellers on this board, so I'll just ask - what countries have you visited beyond your own?

Personally, coming from the US, I've been to Canada several times, been to the UK three times, most recently in 2000, been to France and Spain but not really long enough to see much, and I've taken a trip to Costa Rica.

I've got a trip to Mexico planned for November to see Mayan ruins and such, and beyond that I'd really like to visit Iceland, and Scandinavia - maybe next year.

Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:54 AM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

hmm

China, Guam ( i guess that really doesn't count, but it's pretty far away) Canada, England, and the dominican Republic, the Bahamas.

Last edited by Lathum : 06-08-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:08 AM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Why would I ever willingly leave this country?!?

Seriously, England and the Bahamas when I was young. I want to expand my horizons. About time I got back to Europe and you woulda think I would have made it to Mexico by now.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:29 AM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

Germany (West, East, and Unified), Switzerland, France, Austria, Belgium, The Netherlands, Spain, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, USSR, Poland, Czechoslovakia, England, Ireland, Italy, Vatican, Hungary, Mexico, Barbados, Canada...

I was lucky enough to live in Germany in the eighties and early nineties because my father was in the Army. We did LOTS of traveling while we were there...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:29 AM   #5
21C
College Prospect

England
Wales
Ireland
France
Spain
Portugal
Holland
Germany
Switzerland
Austria
Italy
Poland
Fiji
New Caledonia
Vanuatu
USA
Canada
New Zealand

I'm about to go to Greece in a couple of weeks. My wife has been to all of those plus about another twelve.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

China, Japan, Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, USA
Old 06-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Let's see...

India
England
Wales
Scotland
France
Monaco
Belgium
The Netherlands
Luxembourg
Germany
Austria
Italy
Vatican City
Poland
Czech Republic
Hungary
Slovakia
Croatia
Mexico
Canada

Been backpacking through Europe twice and worked summers in England for 3 years. Went to India in college through a grant to teach at a seminar on multiculturalism in education. That was a blast...the host was an all girl's college.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

For me...

Australia and Canada are it...I have yet to get to Mexico, I really want to hit Europe as well...I have my dream trip I want to make, just need to stockpile some more cash and convince the family it will be the coolest thing ever to do.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #9
boberot
High School Varsity

Backpacked through Europe also:

France
Belgium
Netherlands
Germany
Austria
Switzerland
Czech Republic
Spain

. . . feel like I'm forgetting one . . .

oh, and Canada
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
chesapeake
College Starter

Europe: England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, France, Italy;
Asia: Turkey, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, China, Hong Kong pre-China, Thailand, Japan, South Korea;
North America: Canada, St. Lucia;

I love to travel, but with a little one and another on the way, that has been put on hold for a few years.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #11
airulf
H.S. Freshman Team

I live in Denmark, so of course a lot of European countries: Sweden, Norway, Germany, Czech Republic, Italy, Austria, Schwitzerland, Spain, Andorra, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, England and Wales.

Other than that, I have been to the US and Panama.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Man, I'd kill for some of these travel lists that you guys have

Mine is a short one:

Turkey- 1992
Italy- 2008

Both are crossroads of civilization-like areas. You can't help but trip over history. But the present-day countries themselves are completely different. Italy looks and feels like you could be in the United States- sure the streets are a little more narrow and people are packed in even moreso than on the east coast and parts of Rome are filled with old ruins, but water tastes great and we rode a train that goes about 120mph between Rome and Florence.

When in Turkey, there were parts of Istanbul and most of Ankara which, at the time, were very modern day or at least maybe 10 years behind- kindof like when I went back and visited Corpus Christi after living in Houston for years. But a lot of the country had been untouched by 30 or 40 years of "modern" civilization- it was very eye opening. I was really grateful for that trip because at age 12, I took away two huge lessons: 1) not everything and everywhere are like it is here but 2) people are still people the world 'round- they want the same things.

Canadia- About 10 years ago, a buddy of mine was heading off to join the Navy so three of us drove from Kansas back east to where he was from in upstate New York. We crossed over Detroit around midnight, slept in the car in a hotel parking lot somewhere along the way for a couple of hours, and then crossed back over and visited Niagara Falls that morning before continuing on.

Mexico - despite growing up and spending almost 18 years in Texas, I have never been. Not only that, but my sister got married in Harlingen- in the valley in Texas, maybe 10 miles from Mexico, and my wife and I had our honeymoon in San Diego. Go figure.

I'm also curious to hear what is on the top of people's lists. My wife and I have talked about where we'd like to go if we could and this is the list, roughly in order of preference:

Russia - we both took the language and have always had a fascination with the country; another crossroads of civilization area
Japan - I would love to see the contrast of ultra-modern Tokyo juxtaposed with the rest of the island
Australia - it's like America with funny accents, right? Oh, and a crapload of stuff you won't see anywhere else on the planet
Western Europe - sure, it's cliche- but I've never done the Paris-London-Germany-etc trip and would like to see Europe
Egypt - If the security situation ever improves, this vaults up the list
Alaska/Hawaii - sure, not another country but they might as well be; my wife got to go to Anchorage for a conference and I'm still kicking myself for not trying to go with
SE Asia - So much to see in that part of the world, so this is a nebulous catch all that includes everything from China south

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #13
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I lived in Brussels for three years, so I've been around Europe quite a bit:Belguim, France, UK, Ireland, Germany, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Italy, Spain, Czech Republic, Austria, Hungry, Portugal, and the Netherlands.

Lady H_B desperately wants to go to India. She wants to go there for like 5-6 weeks. I don't really have any pressing need/desire to visit India.

Other than a possible India trip, I don't really see too much in the way of world travels for us other than travelling to see/visit with friends. I think we both decided that our days of travelling just to see things or experience a culture (again, other than India) are pretty much behind us. It just doesn't hold the same thrill as it once did and there isn't the time for it. For example, we have friends all over Europe who we'll go and visit about once a year or so and have a very good Australian friend who just moved back to Australia at the beginning of the year. I think we'd like to visit her at some point.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #14
ColtCrazy
College Starter

There are still several places on my to go list:

India: I really want to go back. I'll never forget the 2 weeks I spent there. Not just the sites, but the amazing culture and how much I learned about India's history, it's future, and how different the world can be at times. Fascinating place.

China: Really want to visit here, see the sites, eat the food, big on my list.

New Zealand: Call it the Lord of the Rings syndrome. The natural scenery has peaked my interest in it, but since then I've read a lot about it...even looking into teaching there at one point.

Scandanavia: Want to go all around the area, again for the natural aspects, but also because it's one of the few regions in Europe I have yet to get into. Same would go for the Iberian Peninsula.

Wales, specifically the Pembroke coast: Feel in love with this area on a weekend getaway while teaching in England. Beautiful beaches with rolling hills. Friendly locals and good food. Some amazing history. I can't wait to go back there.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #15
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Canada, Israel, Poland, Spain, Italy, India -- hoping to add UK and Ireland next year -- we can't go to France because my mother's obsessed with it, and she would come with us
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:13 AM   #16
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Canada, Mexico, Jamaica, various British / US Virgin Islands, England, France, Germany, Czechoslovakia, Italy, Spain, Austria, Monaco. Mostly the benefit of a grandfather who had part of his business in Europe (and was born in Czechoslovakia) and a wife who previously worked in the airline industry.

My younger brother has a pretty impressive list. Can anyone lay claim to Bhutan? (I'll be impressed if anyone else is aware of said country's existence frankly)
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #17
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Okay let's see:

Canada
Mexico
England
Italy
Peru

I'm starting to feel the itch again though - might have to figure out a trip for soon.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Canada, Mexico, Jamaica, various British / US Virgin Islands, England, France, Germany, Czechoslovakia, Italy, Spain, Austria, Monaco. Mostly the benefit of a grandfather who had part of his business in Europe (and was born in Czechoslovakia) and a wife who previously worked in the airline industry.

My younger brother has a pretty impressive list. Can anyone lay claim to Bhutan? (I'll be impressed if anyone else is aware of said country's existence frankly)

Bhutan? That's pretty frigging awesome
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #19
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Can anyone lay claim to Bhutan? (I'll be impressed if anyone else is aware of said country's existence frankly)

I've been around plenty of Bhutanese architecture...

http://admin.utep.edu/Default.aspx?tabid=53233

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #20
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

This should be a poll.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #21
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Let's try chronologically:

Canada
UK (England, Scotland, Wales)
Denmark
Sweden
Germany
Luxembourg
France
Austria
Switzerland
Belgium
Ireland
Mexico
Australia
New Zealand
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #22
JediKooter
Coordinator

Canada, Mexico, Japan, South Korea, Germany, England, Holland, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #23
heybrad
Norm!!!

Here goes:

Mexico
Canada
Grenada (actually lived there for a year)
Barbados
England
Wales
Holland
Germany

I'm hoping to take the family across Europe next year.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #24
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Man, I'd kill for some of these travel lists that you guys have

Mine is a short one:

Turkey- 1992
Italy- 2008

If it makes you feel any better, those two are the best non-US places I've been.

Once my kid(s) are old enough to make traveling worthwhile for them, our plan is to visit Spain, as my wife is 1/4th Spanish. I think we're at least 5-6 years from that, however.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #25
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

My parents have a little regret in that we went when I was 12 but my sister was 10 and she doesn't remember much of it while I remember a lot. I think it's one of those "if I had parenting to do over, this is one of those neat little hints I'd pass on". But basically, I think the essence is wait too long rather than risk going early and them not remembering.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #26
SnDvls
Pro Starter

haven't been to too many places

Mexico
Cruise of the Western Carb.
The best was Brazil
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #27
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

The only country I've been in besides the United States is New Orleans.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #28
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Canada, Mexico, Jamaica, Bahamas (prior 2 on a cruise and Mexico multiple times on vacation) Japan, Australia, Thailand, Laos, S Korea, England, Scotland
Old 06-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #29
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Dolame, I would love to see more of Europe, but the warm places. Spending a lot of time in Scotland lately and it makes a good base for jumping to other parts of Eurpoe very cheaply. Would love to go to Spain, Italy, the Netherlands and more of Eastern Europe. Sweden, Norway and Switzerland would be fun. Oh yeah, and Belgium. In fact, I would love to take a beer holiday in Europe. (I realize the last few aren't warm, but beer fun >= sun fun)

Last edited by mrsimperless : 06-08-2009 at 07:45 PM.
mrsimperless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #30
Groundhog
Coordinator

Only Japan, though I'm off to Thailand next week.

For some reason I have zero real interest in Europe, though I'd like to go to Greece and Italy one day, but it's low on the priority list.

My plan is Korea and China next year, then I'm going to try and make it to South America and hopefully the US & Canada.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #31
StLee
High School Varsity

I'm an American living overseas, so I have traveled a bit. My plan this summer is to see more parts of Korea I haven't yet (like Jeju Island, Korea's "Hawaii"). Also, I am taking a trip back to the New Orleans area in August. So far I have been to a few places, but not many countries overall: France, a night in Hong Kong, the Philippines. Next year I will probably travel to Thailand since I have some friends living there, and free housing is the cheapest way to travel. Beyond that, I would love to go to Australia and New Zealand, eventually hit some European countries, especially Germany, and see more of China and Japan. This, of course, is all assuming that I don't marry within the next few years

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:40 AM   #32
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
My wife went there a couple of years ago. Her cousin was working there and she had to get an "invitation" or something since they don't do regular tourist visas (well, that's my understanding.)
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:00 AM   #33
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Canada - 200...4?
UK - 2005
Ireland - 2005
Greece - 2007

I have tickets for London in September and we're planning to go to Costa Rica in January

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:09 AM   #34
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
My wife went there a couple of years ago. Her cousin was working there and she had to get an "invitation" or something since they don't do regular tourist visas (well, that's my understanding.)

Pretty cool. Yeah, my understanding was they allow something like 500(?) visitors per year but I have no clue about what their process is for choosing visitors. My brother was able to go because a friend's mother was the (I think) English diplomat to the country.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote