Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #51
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

Btw, LS, I'll be up (actually down) for the Nats-Pads game on the 26th with my wife and a friend of mine as part of our summer baseball trip so I might bump into you there.

SI

I actually don't think I'll be there that day. But enjoy! If you're into watching baseball and not whether the stadium looks line an art piece, it's a great place to go.

Oh, and if you don't care if the home team sucks.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000

lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #52
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
If you go to the Lincoln Memorial and Vietnam Memorial the Korean one is basically between the two.

FDR is also very good, and off the beaten path.

FDR is my favorite

Not sure it's such a great idea in July, but in fall or spring, I think people should just take a day to walk the monuments and take pictures. If I could just take people to DC for one day, that's what I'd do (heck, that's what I did when my parents were in town in November).

Go to Capitol south Metro, see the capitol and Supreme Court. Then just walk all the way down to Lincoln and then around to hit FDR and Jefferson before curving back onto the Mall. It's about 3 miles but it's one heck of a lot of cool stuff to see- close to 20 monuments in all. And, if you want to make sure you don't miss any, stop at the gift shop at the base of the Washington Monument on your way down to get the park service map and you'll see some of the "overlooked" ones like the World War I memorial, Signers of the Declaration, and George Mason.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #53
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I actually don't think I'll be there that day. But enjoy! If you're into watching baseball and not whether the stadium looks line an art piece, it's a great place to go.

Oh, and if you don't care if the home team sucks.

<-- Royals fan. That should tell you all you need to know about the second part

It's part of a baseball trip we're talking this summer, heading up to Cooperstown, then taking in games in Philly, DC, and Baltimore on the way back. Should be a fun time

SI

Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #54
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grdawg View Post
Thanks for the info, the one in Dupont was slightly cheaper so I went with that one. Since we only have one day/night there, are there any things that you all would recommend more so then others. The last time I was in DC was 17 years ago, when I was 17 and my wife has never been so probably want to hit the main sites that we can do pretty quickly. Of course my wife and I did the Louvre in like 2 hours so we can be pretty quick.

Depends on what you like. There are a ton of good art galleries, a lot of memorials to dead presents and wars gone by, and the Smithsonian has at least a handful of museums that are worthy of a trip. In addition, DC is a (fairly) old city with some history of it's own and hot spots to enjoy. Arlington and Alexandria (just over the river in Virginia) also have some stuff worth seeing and/or experiencing.

If you're a space guy, one or both of the Air & Space museums are worth seeing. If you're into history and art, perhaps the Portrait Gallery to at least see the presidents or the Hirshorn(sp?) if you're into modern art (or one of a ton of other art museums). If you're sentimental toward military history, perhaps the Korean and Vietnam memorials along with Iwo Jima and Arlington Cemetery. If you like the founding fathers, make the trip around the mall and the tidal basin to see the memorials (Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson -- in addition FDR across the basin from Jefferson). If US History in general, the American History Museum. Natrual History Museum and the Zoo for people into that sort of thing. As I said earlier, the Holocaust Museum and Native American Museum are worth the trip. I have heard the same about the Newseum (one of the few pay museums in DC).

So, in short, I could answer the question better if I knew what you liked to see and do on vacation.

That's just off the top of my head for touristy areas.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #55
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
And, if you want to make sure you don't miss any, stop at the gift shop at the base of the Washington Monument on your way down to get the park service map and you'll see some of the "overlooked" ones like the World War I memorial, Signers of the Declaration, and George Mason.

I've been around so long I always forget -- the World War II Memorial is pretty darn nice as well (and very new to me . It, like the other stuff SI mentioned, is all along the path that goes around the mall and the tidal basin. Oh, and if you make a slight detour near lincoln you can at least see the White House and take pictures from a distance.

Quote:
<-- Royals fan. That should tell you all you need to know about the second part

Touche.

I recommend the Curly W pretzels at Noah's (the plain salted ones); they are not your typical ballpark pretzels.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #56
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

dola: It is amazing what I take for granted. I bike by the white house almost every day, I take runs at lunch that tke me by the Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, World War II Memorial and FDR Memorial. I don't necessarily think much of it (although I do realize how lucky I am to be able to do such). Yet I haven't been to a museum in years. I've been to a few art museums for specific exhibits (Jim Henson FTW!) over the years, but I haven't been to any of the others in quite some time. It's the idea that I can do it "any time" and then never do.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #57
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Wow a lot more people like DC than I'd ever have thought.

Let's be clear, I hate DC. I hate it a lot.

But if you really want to visit, I echo LS's recommendation of Ben's Chili Bowl. And I would recommend AGAINST trying to get to the Udvar-Hazy annex of the National Air and Space Museum. For the hassle it'd be to get to from downtown, it's not worth it.

Man, DC?
Ick.
/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #58
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
Ok that was negative even for me.
DC has its perks. Some of the museums can be really good, especially with the changing exhibits. And I haven't seen a Nats game at the new stadium yet, but that's on my agenda. DC United is good, and it's a damn shame that RFK is a POS stadium. A lot of the non-typical-tourist stuff can be really nice.

But, as a non-city person generally, I strongly prefer Chicago and my all-time favorite, Boston. As a local person, I prefer going to B'more than DC.

/tk
Old 04-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #59
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Here's a map with pretty much all you need for the mall and capitol-area DC:
http://www.nps.gov/nama/planyourvisi...d/NACCmap1.pdf
This and a Metro Map will be a pair of good first steps. And the Mid-Atlantic AAA guide, if you're with AAA.

It's got all the metro stops and all of the monuments, even the small ones (John Paul Jones FTW!). The capitol to Lincoln area dominates the center of the map while it also has Arlington, the areas north of the Mall like Gallery Place (no zoo, tho), and Navy Yard.

BTW, do not try to get to Nationals Park from anywhere except Navy Yard or maybe Waterfront (haven't tried). 295 is a giant dividing line and you want no part of crossing under that. It's not a nice neighborhood. Just go to L'Enfant or another of your favorite Green line stops and take that to Navy Yard. I don't think anything else is worth the headache.

BTW, if you have the National Parks passport, you can get something like 17 stamps at the base of the Washington Monument. That's not hyperbole. They have 3 or 4 rows of stamps sitting there for you to get all of the monuments as pretty much all of them have a stamp.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-20-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:21 PM   #60
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I forgot to mention the Korean War monument. It's a little hidden, but IMO it's one of the best sites in DC.

Korean is by FAR my favorite. And like others have said, if you're going to Lincoln/Vietnam it's right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #61
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
D.C. in July? Yikes. Buy a few Shamwows to deal with the copious amounts of perspiration.

Oh, and a definite +1 to getting a subway pass. Driving anywhere in D.C. is a horrible idea, especially in the summer.

Yeah, July = really muggy and hot. DC is a swamp and it acts like it.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #62
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Dola,
Ok that was negative even for me.
DC has its perks. Some of the museums can be really good, especially with the changing exhibits. And I haven't seen a Nats game at the new stadium yet, but that's on my agenda. DC United is good, and it's a damn shame that RFK is a POS stadium. A lot of the non-typical-tourist stuff can be really nice.

But, as a non-city person generally, I strongly prefer Chicago and my all-time favorite, Boston. As a local person, I prefer going to B'more than DC.

/tk

Why is Boston better than DC Mrs. Negative? As far as flights and hotels go, the prices are similar.... and the Sox are in town a lot in July, I would love to see the Green Monster.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #63
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Is there public transportation from Baltimore to DC and back? The only thing I could find is the MARC but I didn't know if there were other options out there. GE and I figured if we extended our vacation to the 11th-18th then we could see an Orioles game too
Old 04-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #64
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl View Post
Is there public transportation from Baltimore to DC and back? The only thing I could find is the MARC but I didn't know if there were other options out there. GE and I figured if we extended our vacation to the 11th-18th then we could see an Orioles game too

MARC commuter trains are a great way to get from DC to Baltimore, and Baltimore is a great place to visit for one day. Catch an Orioles game, check out Fort McHenry, wander around the Inner Harbor area, maybe visit Little Italy or Fells Point...

and, whatever you do, do not wander very far off the beaten path. Take taxis everywhere. Do not drive or, even worse, park a car; do not attempt to take a bus; do not ...well, you get the picture
Old 04-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #65
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
Why is Boston better than DC Mrs. Negative? As far as flights and hotels go, the prices are similar.... and the Sox are in town a lot in July, I would love to see the Green Monster.

I have always found it easier to travel around Boston than DC--Boston is actually quite a compact city, whereas DC is more spread out and chopped up. July in Boston is warm, but it is rarely that humid. In Washington, you will sweat up a storm between mid June and mid September.

That having been said, Washington is a great city to visit, and one can easily spend a week there without getting bored.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #66
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Yeah, July = really muggy and hot. DC is a swamp and it acts like it.

Urban Legend.

Built On A Swamp and Other Myths of D.C. - Raw Fisher

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with it, she's jsut negative. And, admittedly, not a city person.

Boston is in DC in late June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
I have always found it easier to travel around Boston than DC--Boston is actually quite a compact city, whereas DC is more spread out and chopped up. July in Boston is warm, but it is rarely that humid. In Washington, you will sweat up a storm between mid June and mid September.

That having been said, Washington is a great city to visit, and one can easily spend a week there without getting bored.

I find it very easy to travel around DC [shrug]. I have heard Boston is horrible in a car, just as some think DC is. On foot and via mass transit you can get anywhere in DC that you want.

* Please not my earlier comment about being a DC snob

Old 04-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #67
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Boston is much improved in a car. It's not that bad. Parking can be a bit of a bitch though. Or at least non-expensive parking
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #68
grdawg
Mascot

Quote:
Depends on what you like. There are a ton of good art galleries, a lot of memorials to dead presents and wars gone by, and the Smithsonian has at least a handful of museums that are worthy of a trip. In addition, DC is a (fairly) old city with some history of it's own and hot spots to enjoy. Arlington and Alexandria (just over the river in Virginia) also have some stuff worth seeing and/or experiencing.

If you're a space guy, one or both of the Air & Space museums are worth seeing. If you're into history and art, perhaps the Portrait Gallery to at least see the presidents or the Hirshorn(sp?) if you're into modern art (or one of a ton of other art museums). If you're sentimental toward military history, perhaps the Korean and Vietnam memorials along with Iwo Jima and Arlington Cemetery. If you like the founding fathers, make the trip around the mall and the tidal basin to see the memorials (Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson -- in addition FDR across the basin from Jefferson). If US History in general, the American History Museum. Natrual History Museum and the Zoo for people into that sort of thing. As I said earlier, the Holocaust Museum and Native American Museum are worth the trip. I have heard the same about the Newseum (one of the few pay museums in DC).

So, in short, I could answer the question better if I knew what you liked to see and do on vacation.

That's just off the top of my head for touristy areas.

Thanks for your recomendations. I definetly want to go to the Holocaust Museum and since that is near the Memorials and Smithsonian is right over there as well it seems easy to do/see a lot of things in that area pretty quickly. I like US History and wouldn't mind hitting the American History & National History Museums. Unfortunately, it's probably going to be a quantity over quality type of trip (see as much as we can in as little of time).
grdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #69
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks for your recomendations. I definetly want to go to the Holocaust Museum and since that is near the Memorials and Smithsonian is right over there as well it seems easy to do/see a lot of things in that area pretty quickly. I like US History and wouldn't mind hitting the American History & National History Museums. Unfortunately, it's probably going to be a quantity over quality type of trip (see as much as we can in as little of time).

That is probably best done with the "walk aroudn the mall" idea. See the monuments and possibly pop in for some specific exhibits at the smithsonian. You could also do one of those segway tours, but watch your back, I'm always tempted to push one of them over and see if the tourists re-enact Centipede.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #70
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:

My own personal preference is to visit the monuments in the evening or at night. No crowds, tolerable heat and they look cooler. The Korean War memorial in the dark is eerie.

American History Museum, Natural History and the National Archives are all close to one another, and are probably the best troika of repositories for American historical artifacts you'll ever find. Everything in DC is air conditioned, so I'd try to do those in the afternoon to beat the heat and/or thunderstorms.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #71
chesapeake
College Starter

BTW, the Holocaust Museum requires you to get a ticket for entry to the permanent exhibits during the summer months. They are free. Most folks make that ticket office the first stop of the day so they can be assured of entry at some point.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #72
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post

+1

Also, friends don't let tourists drive in Boston. Walk & take the T.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #73
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

1 because as lordscarlet pointed out, I'm negative. And I'm not a city girl.

But when I read this question (and couldn't post a response while at work), I started thinking about it, and I think that at least some of it is that Boston is different to me. I've lived in the DC area for a very long time now. I've been to all of the museums. Many, many times. And many of the exhibits don't change. And for at least one I like to visit, where the exhibits do change, it costs money because it's not part of the Smithsonian (Corcoran Gallery of Art). Even as a space nerd, the National Air and Space Museum doesn't hold as much thrill for me, it feels very dated.

To boot, I adore the Boston science museum. I'm a Red Sox fan and I love Fenway. There is a lot of history in Boston, maybe not quite as much as in DC, but a ton. And, as someone else in this thread mentioned, to me it feels like it's a lot easier to get around in. I prefer the T to the Metro. The fact that the area feels "more compact" probably helps. And even though the Charles River is disgusting (so is the Potomac), I like feeling "close to the water" and I somehow feel closer to it in Boston.

Having been in Boston in the throngs of summer and in DC in the summer, I can attest that there is virtually no difference between the two cities in terms of humidity and perceived heat.

/tk
Old 04-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #74
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

You should just visit Miami and avoid any part of the city that has NW as a street address.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #75
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Washington D.C. is beautiful. I just got off the plane and got to do about an hour of site seeing. Hopefully I will be able to take a tour of Georgetown's Law School tomorrow but the schedule leaves me very little room. I might have to come back next month if I can't make it. D.C. has my vote...also the weather is not bad at all.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #76
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

What are you doing while you're here?

Old 05-04-2009, 05:24 AM   #77
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
What are you doing while you're here?

Attending some(boring) business functions that hopefully will get my small business idea off the ground. I can't go into much details but its something I hope will be very successful. I am trying to get a tour of Georgetown but since I am calling so late I might have to walk around their myself.

Seriously D.C. is a beautiful and has jumped to #1 on my list for list school next fall. I might have to come back next month with another friend of mine who is also going to Law School to check out Georgetown. Definitely after our west coast trip at least.

Alright I have to get dressed if I am not too tired I will report on how the day has went.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #78
chesapeake
College Starter

Are you sure you're in the right DC? It rained here all weekend and is drizzling today.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #79
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
Are you sure you're in the right DC? It rained here all weekend and is drizzling today.

Hey may well be. DC in the spring isn't bad, even if it's rainy or drizzling. I love how he said the weather isn't bad at all....just wait til July and August.

/tk
Old 05-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #80
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Attending some(boring) business functions that hopefully will get my small business idea off the ground. I can't go into much details but its something I hope will be very successful. I am trying to get a tour of Georgetown but since I am calling so late I might have to walk around their myself.

Seriously D.C. is a beautiful and has jumped to #1 on my list for list school next fall. I might have to come back next month with another friend of mine who is also going to Law School to check out Georgetown. Definitely after our west coast trip at least.

Alright I have to get dressed if I am not too tired I will report on how the day has went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Hey may well be. DC in the spring isn't bad, even if it's rainy or drizzling. I love how he said the weather isn't bad at all....just wait til July and August.

/tk

+1

I mean, I love DC, but it rained all weekend! Imagine if he was here last weekend when it was 80 degrees and beautiful.

If you're trying to get last minute drinks or anything, let me know. Tomorrow I have tickets ti the 12:30 ball game

Old 05-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #81
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

then again he's in Miami
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:50 AM   #82
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
then again he's in Miami

LOL.

Too true. I haven't been to too many places on the east coast that aren't disgusting in July/August. Even in Vermont and New Hampshire, it can be icky-muggy-gross...unless you're on the water (and sometimes even then).

/tk
Old 05-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #83
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
then again he's in Miami

Yeah, I'm trying to think of any other cities that wouldn't be an improvement over Miami. I enjoyed visiting D.C. when I had to live in Baltimore for a year, but I certainly wouldn't consider it beautiful or a place I'd want to live. Perhaps I'm in the same boat with Justice Souter in that regard.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #84
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I lived in DC for about 3 years in total. I think it is a beautiful city. The Capitol Hill area where I lived was as nice a neighborhood in a city as one could hope for. Plenty of trees, parks, beautiful old row houses. It was quiet for the most part with plenty of places to walk to for a drink or food.

It was perfect for visitors. We were a few blocks from the Capitol and from there on you could just wander down the Mall popping in to whatever museums you want ending up at the Lincoln right next to the Vietnam and Korean War Memorials and then wandering up to Foggy Bottom, grabbing some food or a beverage and take the Metro back home.

I loved living there.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #85
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

The weather is fine to me. Back home is hot and over here is cool compared to the sunna in Miami. It has rained a lot but I don't mind it all to be honest. It is truly a beautiful city and I'm really considering Georgetown over Chapel Hill (which if you haven't been you should go) once I go home and think it over I might change my mind.

One thing though the people here are very rude and I got into a little tiff with a secruity over his attitude at the VA. He was over board because a member of our group is a bit absent minded at times and was walking aimlessly about the lobby. I under the secruity issue but he didn't have to talk to him like he was a dumb ass. The guy he was speaking too is one of the smartest and well accomplished people I know.

That is my one minor gripe so far...
Old 05-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #86
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Defensive quip: If you want to see rude, go to NYC.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #87
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

C'mon, ls- do you really want that to be your standard?

That's one thing I really do miss about the midwest. What are those called again? Oh, yeah, friendly people

SI

Old 05-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #88
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I think people are friendly in DC and Virginia, so I don't know what to tell you.

The problem is there are too many people that are transplanted here from the northeast!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #89
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's not so much unfriendly as everyone really "minds their own business". To me, it's shorthand for doesn't care about the rest of the world around them, for good and for ill. People seem a lot more paranoid about their fellow human beings

SI

Old 05-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #90
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
One thing though the people here are very rude and I got into a little tiff with a secruity over his attitude at the VA. He was over board because a member of our group is a bit absent minded at times and was walking aimlessly about the lobby. I under the secruity issue but he didn't have to talk to him like he was a dumb ass. The guy he was speaking too is one of the smartest and well accomplished people I know.

Since 9/11, security in DC has tightened up a lot for obvious reasons. You learn to deal with it. Living in the most powerful city in the world has its drawbacks.

Go to hell, Carolina.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:29 PM   #91
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Washington D.C. without a doubt is a great place to visit, despite the bad weather. I stayed at the Hilton Gardens and a lot of places were within walking distance. The restaurants were great (we ate at McCormicks or something like that... they had mostly seafood) the people were mostly great as well although the security has some very low IQ people working for them.

We had another run in with security earlier today at the bank and this time it was almost our ass. Long story short one of the members of our party didn't like the tone and disrespect of this guy and let it be known. The SBA presentation was my favorite one and was very eye opening as far as my potential business goes.

Georgetown one word....amazing. I felt at home there more so then I have felt at other law schools even though I was only there for about 45 minutes. The people I spoke too told me to email them when I submit my application. (That's a good sign right?)

We saw Obama that was neat but confusing at first. When we broke for lunch the streets were blocked by police and it looked like something happened. I was confused and wet; until his limo passed with Secret Service out in full force.

Hopefully I will be back next month before my west coast trip and would love to get a drink with the D.C. locals. I will likely be with three guys and one girl so nothing to offend the lady of the group.

Great trip. Now I have to read a bunch of emails and catch up with the shows I have missed.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #92
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Well now that its been announced that D.C. United is playing Real Madrid August 9th our vacation is definitely on again. We are looking at leaving Little Rock in the late afternoon August 4th and coming back August 10th (my first day to report to school, so i'll have to take my first day off)

We are lookin at the Liason Capital Hill hotel, because it looks like its in a great location. We just want to make sure we are near the public transportation to avoid taxis and walking 15 blocks in the August heat. Has anybody heard anything positive or negative about the Liason, or is there a better, closer hotel that I dont know about??
Old 05-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #93
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I just found the website visitthecapital.gov and was able to reserve two tour passes for the capital for August 7th. Very excited
Old 05-30-2009, 11:16 PM   #94
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I know nothing about the Liason- can't help there.

Congrats on the capital passes. They're pretty easy to get as long as you know to get them in advance, which you did. If you try to drop in and get tickets during the busy season, I've heard you'll be out of luck.

We're going up to visit my wife's sister in late June and have a new hotel to try out. It's the Courtyard by Marriot at Dunn Loring/Fairfax. If I remember right, it's walking distance from the Metro and has no parking fee. I don't know if I could do any better than that. $67 per night for 2 nights, but also had an Expedia coupon for $50 off for a 2 night stay so with tax and everything, it's going to cost us under $100 for 2 nights

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-30-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:19 PM   #95
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well now that its been announced that D.C. United is playing Real Madrid August 9th our vacation is definitely on again. We are looking at leaving Little Rock in the late afternoon August 4th and coming back August 10th (my first day to report to school, so i'll have to take my first day off)

We are lookin at the Liason Capital Hill hotel, because it looks like its in a great location. We just want to make sure we are near the public transportation to avoid taxis and walking 15 blocks in the August heat. Has anybody heard anything positive or negative about the Liason, or is there a better, closer hotel that I dont know about??

I don't know anything about the Liason specifically, but tripadvisor.com is normally a good place to check (The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel (Washington DC, DC) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor.

As far as a "closer hotel" that really depends on what you're looking at. Witht he sole criteria of being "near public transportation" that covers probably a couple hundred hotels. If you narrow it down to hotels near buses or metro stops that go directly to the National Mall, that narrows it down a bit more. But, anyway. It looks like the Liason is near the Capitol Building. It is near two Red Line stops, which don't really go to the heart of the National Mall. That means if you want to take the train, you have to transfer. I better bet it to walk down to Constitution and take the DC Circulator or a metro bus if you want to go to any of the museums/monuments farther along the National Mall.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #96
chesapeake
College Starter

I've never been to the Liaison, but I like the location -- very close to Union Station and a number of places to eat and drink. The walk to the Mall and the National Gallery of Art isn't more than 10 minutes.

Bring water.