Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-31-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Fantasy Baseball Trade made in the league I am in

Would love to have a few responses so that I can link to this message from my baseball league's homepage...

Ryan Dempster, Orlando Hudson, and Hiroki Kuroda for

Brian Barden, Everth Cabreera, Omir Santos, and Troy Glaus.

It is a keeper league but not one of those players from the second team are worth a shit are they?

panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
rowech
Pro Starter

Yeah....beyond a bad trade. The only guy that's decent in that second list is the Cabrera kid if I remember right. Aren't all the others almost 30 already? (or above) It's not like the trade was made to accumualte prospects.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Atocep
Coordinator

Wow, wtf?

I hate seeing trades challenged as its a good way to destroy a league, but holy shit that's bad. That's not even stupid owner simply making a bad trade bad, its something is going on and they're not even trying to hide it bad.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

That's exactly it, it is actually a group of close friends. And you know how there is always that one guy that is so competetive that they will toe the line and exploit any loophole they can to get a fantasy advantage? Well that is this guy and he takes it so personal that he is going to flip out over my protest of this trade. But it has to be done. this trade makes zero sense.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

veto
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

It isn't worth it to play in a league if it lets this one through.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I thought I had the "support" of at least 4 owners to veto this. Now it is only me and the other two owners. Maybe normal people have other shit to do on Sunday night but these guys all work odd jobs like me so I think we may be getting hung out to dry which is going to make the fantasy board miserible for at least a few weeks.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

The trade is a joke, and I would wonder whether it was a favor of some sort.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:50 PM   #9
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I was trying to look at from the 2nd owners perspective and I still cant see a reason to do it. Any salary cap or any other reason he would be cutting cap? Santos and Barden have no upside. There are 10 3b just like Glaus that a person could pick up that doesnt get hurt all the time so that leaves this Cabrera kid. Cabrera is a decent prospect but doesnt have great power or speed to be anything other than a mid-below average fantasy player.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:42 PM   #10
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Wow way bad trade gotta Veto that one.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #11
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I recognize Glaus and I *think* Orlando Hudson, I have no clue who any of those other guys are. Maybe owner #1 is in the same position and thinks he's getting a stud in Glaus?
Old 06-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #12
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

How loose are the past trades in the league?

With long term keeper leagues, I believe it is very hard to veto trades just because owners are basing it one what they think is the future value of a guy. One person may turn their nose up at Barden while the next person may think he is a future .280 hitter with 20 HR/100 RBI potential. In our keeper league, we have some trades that other people would just cringe at at we don't bat an eye.

There isn't enough information for me to give my opinion. If Dempster, Kuroda and Hudson were all non-keepers for next year, the others could be kept for 3-4 years potentially and the other person shopped them around and this is the best he could do... I wouldn't vote against it.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #13
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I recognize Glaus and I *think* Orlando Hudson, I have no clue who any of those other guys are. Maybe owner #1 is in the same position and thinks he's getting a stud in Glaus?

It's an NL only league so the first three players have a lot more value then they might in another league... basically Hudson is among the top 5 in batting, Dempster pitches for the Cubs and is great in both wins and K's, and Kuroda is the Dodger's number one starter who has been injured but returns this week.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #14
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
How loose are the past trades in the league?

With long term keeper leagues, I believe it is very hard to veto trades just because owners are basing it one what they think is the future value of a guy. One person may turn their nose up at Barden while the next person may think he is a future .280 hitter with 20 HR/100 RBI potential. In our keeper league, we have some trades that other people would just cringe at at we don't bat an eye.

There isn't enough information for me to give my opinion. If Dempster, Kuroda and Hudson were all non-keepers for next year, the others could be kept for 3-4 years potentially and the other person shopped them around and this is the best he could do... I wouldn't vote against it.

It is an NL only league that has keepers for one season. But these guys are all at $5 or more, not like they are $1 keepers. The one owner has picked 3 of the 4 off the waiver wire throughout the year. (So they get the basic $5 salary) For comparison Hanley Ramirez was a $2 keeper one year, Ryan Ludwick is a $1 keeper this year. There are bargains in this league none of those 4 are even remotely close to mid-level stars.