Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just so you don't forget...........

Sunday, one of my friends was a healthy, happy 23 year old guy. This morning, he'll be pronounced brain dead and his organs will be harvested and transplanted to people who desparately need those organs.

1. Life can end in a blink. Enjoy it.

2. Let your family know today that you want your organs to be transplanted in this kind of situation. It could mean new life for many people.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-28-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sorry to hear about your friend.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
BYU 14
Coordinator

Mizz very sorry for you loss, thoughts and prayers for you and his family.

What a wonderful gift to give life to others in the aftermath of a terrible tragedy.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
Logan
Head Coach

Condolences to you MBBF and if you don't mind me jumping in for a second with my own PSA...

Guy I've known awhile but wouldn't consider a friend (friend of friends is better) disappeared last Wednesday after a random, minor fight with his girlfriend. He started a website that was at first successful but was undergoing financial issues. He left her a voicemail later that night saying that he was sorry he couldn't live up to her expectations. Two days later he sent a text to three of his best friends saying along the lines of, "You have all been like brothers to me over the years. Thank you." They were able to track down a range of where his phone was at the time, and by searching found out that he had checked into a hotel not too far from where he was living in Hoboken, NJ. Police went in and of course found that he had killed himself More than 300 people showed up at his funeral. That means that there were at least 300 people who cared enough about him where he could have talked to them about anything. Make sure you let your family and friends know that you'll always be there for them.

Last edited by Logan : 05-28-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Condolences, MBBF. I think we may have some mutual friends ... at my poker game last night, one of the guys got a call that a guy who who I think played on his soccer team had been taken off life support and wasn't expected to make it and that he was an organ donor and they were setting up the transplant process.

I got a new driver's license last year and just checked to see if I had signed the organ donation info on the back yet. I haven't but I'll do it today.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
JediKooter
Coordinator

My sincerest condolances. I'm very sorry to hear about your friend.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

sorry MBBF
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sorry to hear MBBF.

I became an organ donar last year after learning my Mother in Law was discovered to need a heart transplant.

She received a new heart in February and is doing great. Had it not been for some selfless person she would probably be dead now.

Organ donation is truly a great act.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Sorry to hear that MBBF..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Condolences, MBBF. I think we may have some mutual friends ... at my poker game last night, one of the guys got a call that a guy who who I think played on his soccer team had been taken off life support and wasn't expected to make it and that he was an organ donor and they were setting up the transplant process.

I got a new driver's license last year and just checked to see if I had signed the organ donation info on the back yet. I haven't but I'll do it today.

Yes, that's the same person. I'm an alumni advisor in my spare time at one of the fraternities at William Jewell, which is right near where both you and I live. I had done a lot of stuff with him and met him through that avenue. He was an all-conference goalie and attended the MLS tryout camp for the KC Wizards. One of those athletic kids who drops dead for no good reason. Brutal stuff.

I actually spoke with the family last night about organ donation. He had marked the donor box on the back of his license, but had failed to sign it. Thankfully, the family was very receptive to proceeding with organ donation.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
Lorena
Unregistered

Aww man, sorry to hear
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
Schmidty
Coordinator

That's awful. Prayers for the family going out.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #13
chesapeake
College Starter

Awful news, MBBF, and you have my condolences. Excellent point on organ donation. Both my wife and I are organ donors and added a clause to that effect on our will just to ensure there is no doubt.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:39 AM   #14
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just to further the organ donation point, the doctor estimated that between 6-10 people will benefit from the various organ donations. Heart, liver, lungs, kidneys, lens just to name a few things that will be useful. Amazing to see how many people will be helped by the organ donation.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #15
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Sorry about your friend Mizzou. What happened?

I've been listed as an organ donor for years, if unfortunately I don't outlive everybody. If i can't use it anymore, let somebody else have a little bit longer.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #16
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Very sorry to hear about your friend, MBBF. Ever since I could drive, I've made sure to check the organ donor box on my driver's license, much to my dad's dismay.

I don't know who'd want my genetically mutated organs, but if I can help others when I don't need them, I'm all for it.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote