Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-27-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

GameSpy/IGN Shutting Down Hosting Services

I don't *think* this affects anyone here other than me, since we moved our primary site off of that host a year ago and didn't use file attachments and whatnot there. However, if you know of anything that you had hosted on our old server that's not duplicated here at Operation Sports, let me know so I can grab it for you. I have a few screen shots and whatnot that I was hosting over there, and I'll be getting those soon.

Oh yeah, and this also means that the few of you who still hadn't updated your bookmarks in the nearly a year since we moved won't be able to rely on the old site to link to this one any longer.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:47 AM   #2
Ben E Lou

Oh, sorry, left off the details, if anyone cares.

Quote:

(B) Shutting Down of IGN Hosting
As referred to above, we also have some sad, but extremely important news for you regarding your hosted site, and ask that you read through the following carefully.
After years of quality free hosting for gaming sites, we have decided to discontinue our free hosting services. We know that this will come as a shock and a disappointment to you; in this e-mail we will explain why this decision was made, when the shutdown will occur, and what the next steps are for the many hosted site owners who will be affected.

The primary reason for the discontinuation of the free hosting is one of compatibility. At IGN, we are in the process of moving to a new data centre, and a number of our operations are incompatible with it, including the free hosting service. At this time we regretfully are not in a position to carry out the additional work needed to make the hosting service compatible.

We are all extremely grateful for you having chosen us as your site's host, and as such want to do all that we can to make your transition to a new hosting provider as easy and seamless as possible. We will maintain the hosting service, with full technical support, up until 11.59 PM, 31st August 2009 (“Cut-Off Date”), giving you several months in order to organize a migration. Please note however that the Cut-Off Date is hard and fast - there will be no extension of the service after this date and backups of your databases and content etc. will not be maintained. Anything that you want to keep MUST be downloaded to your computer before the Cut-Off Date.
Please note: if you don’t migrate your files and database by the Cut-Off Date, you will no longer have access or right to access or use any aspect of your site that IGN was hosting and IGN will have the right to delete and remove from our servers all aspects of your site.
In order to assist you, we have prepared a detailed information website (see link below), which provides information such as a sample list of possible replacement web hosts you could transition to, instructions on migrating your files and database(s), in addition to FAQs about the discontinuation of our services. We strongly recommend that you read the entire document if you intend to continue operating your site at another host:

http://hosting.ign.com/faq.php

Old 05-27-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

in other words "we are cheap fucks"
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
We know that this will come as a shock and a disappointment to you

Not really. It has been obvious for a long time that Gamespy/IGN viewed hosted sites as a burden unless they were "Planet Call of Duty" style megasites.

A couple of years back I decided to send them a few ideas regarding the development of the Sportplanet site, but they basically told me to piss off. They were happy with the crappy site because it did not take any traffic away from the IGN and Gamespy homepages.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
wade moore
lolzcat

Right now the reference links in the FOFC Forum point to the old site. Are the threads actually somewhere here and the reference thread just needs to be updated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Right now the reference links in the FOFC Forum point to the old site. Are the threads actually somewhere here and the reference thread just needs to be updated?
eng pls k thx
Old 05-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #7
Yoda
High School Varsity

I still use alot of the stuff that's in the coaches corner, have those post been moved over here?
FFL 2013 2014 2015
RNFL 2014 2029
GMFL 2009
HFL 1983 1987 1990
TFL 1983
vNFL 2024
GML 2011
WOOF 2018
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
eng pls k thx

Nevermind - looks like you fixed it in March.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 05-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #9
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I still use alot of the stuff that's in the coaches corner, have those post been moved over here?
The posts have always been here since day one. It's just that the links were pointing to the old site. I created and ran a script to globally change all of the links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Nevermind - looks like you fixed it in March.
If you're referring to the above, I'm pretty sure it was not in March. Otherwise, I have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #10
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
The posts have always been here since day one. It's just that the links were pointing to the old site. I created and ran a script to globally change all of the links.

If you're referring to the above, I'm pretty sure it was not in March. Otherwise, I have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm referring to the links.

I'm guessing march cause that's when the reference thread was last updated.

Either way, it's a non-issue.

Quote:
Old 05-28-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
DanGarion
Coordinator

Everything Ben touches is blue.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #12
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Was the "Patriotic Undies" pic saved?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote