Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-25-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
Epi_862
Mascot

NFL Trading Cards Questions

Hi there

For some unholy reason, i recently developed craving for NFL Trading Cards. I remember collecting NHL cards as a kid, and started thinking how much fun it would be to buy some and see what they are like nowadays.

But the question is: What product should i buy? It seems like theres a million different sets out there, and i have no idea. What is generally regarded as the best/ which set do you favor?

I cant really go and see these cards anywhere, since i live in Finland, so thats not an option.

Thanks in advance if anyone answers.

Epi_862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

One of the things you'll need to ask yourself is do you want just basic cards or are there certain types of inserts that you want to collect such as game used, autograph, cut autos, chrome, etc and also what do you want to spend?

If you don't care about inserts, then you should probably just stick to something like Upper Deck's basic set.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
Johnny93g
College Starter

Ya, Depends on what you want. Theres high end stuff which is really expensive, and theres low end stuff, which is also kinda expensive. Theres sets that feature autograph's, stuff that feature patches and jersey cards, stuff that has inserts and stuff for set building. It's actually become really complicated these days.

A high level option would be Upper Deck Exquisite which goes for 400+ a box, and only contains something like 7 cards.

Mid Level would be something like Press Pass, which i really like. I havent bought in over a year, but they typically cost around 70-100, and get 5 auto's, past and present players. The last time i bought that, i got a Bart Starr autograph which is pretty cool.

Lots of low end options are available aswell. You can find lots of upper deck sets for under 70 bucks. You never get much in the way of auto's or jersey cards, but they usually include lots of base for set building.

Hope this helps
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 05-25-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Flasch186
Coordinator

jesus man, save your $ to buy some land or a DP on a home.

If I could rewind the clock and buy some of the land that was in front of me when Iw as a kid Id be rich.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
BigDawg
H.S. Freshman Team

I suggest you stick with anything from 1989 and before, starting in 1990 NFL cards went from 3-4 companies to over 10 and by 92 they made sooooo many their werent worth the .02$ of cardboard they were made of.

I would stick with only getting full "sets" , start with 2009 ad get one set tha go backwards each year
BigDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
BigDawg
H.S. Freshman Team

topps.com
Old 05-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I have complete Topps sets from 1972-1989. I was offered quite a bit for it. Sorry, these go to my son, then he can sell them off after I am outta here. Bought nothing but Topps. My parents bought me the complete sets until 1978, then I had to deliver papers to pay for the sets going forward. These were not bought retroactively, but real time. Somehow, they have survived the moves, ect...
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi_862 View Post
Hi there

For some unholy reason, i recently developed craving for NFL Trading Cards. I remember collecting NHL cards as a kid, and started thinking how much fun it would be to buy some and see what they are like nowadays.

But the question is: What product should i buy? It seems like theres a million different sets out there, and i have no idea. What is generally regarded as the best/ which set do you favor?

I cant really go and see these cards anywhere, since i live in Finland, so thats not an option.

Thanks in advance if anyone answers.

Epi you bastard... now you got me to go out and buy cards... spent 100 bucks on some new packs..Man they r expensive. 4 bucks a pack for decent card sets...... and I got crap
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #9
BigDawg
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I have complete Topps sets from 1972-1989. I was offered quite a bit for it. Sorry, these go to my son, then he can sell them off after I am outta here. Bought nothing but Topps. My parents bought me the complete sets until 1978, then I had to deliver papers to pay for the sets going forward. These were not bought retroactively, but real time. Somehow, they have survived the moves, ect...

Nice, I started around 86 buyig packs and makig topps sets but by 1990 their was too many too keep up with. The sad part is about 2 years ago I sold my whole card collection to cover my car payments
Old 05-25-2009, 11:51 PM   #10
Epi_862
Mascot

Thanks guys for all the help... I'll propably stick with topps, order some stuff and see if get hooked. I just digged up my hockey card collection. Back then, one company would make one series per year, with special cards included. THat was simple. Im guessing it's more complicated now.

One thing i'd like to know is, how many different cards are there in some of these sets? Is it feasible to try to collect a full set buying them, 'cos buying a full set already done takes the collection out of it - which is exactly what i wanna do. Collect, buy a pack, see if there's anything good in it. I remember loving it as a kid, and i'll try again with NFL cards.

But i think i'll be checking Topps out. Thanks again guys.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:35 AM   #11
Epi_862
Mascot

I checked out Upper Deck's store, and i cant find a "basic" box.. There's rookie stuff, something called "icons" but no basic box. I'm confused.

I also checked out topps store, which HAD a basic (at least i think so) set, retailing for about 70 dollars. This is a low end box, right? With some basic cards in it? Good start if i just want to collect a low-end set?
Old 05-26-2009, 12:54 AM   #12
BigDawg
H.S. Freshman Team

topps.com

basic 2008 NFL set is 44.95 ... on sale till tommorow for 32
Old 05-26-2009, 06:08 AM   #13
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I agree with the first set of questions. You have to figure out what you want to collect. You'll have some options:

1. Autographs - Companies have been putting autograph cards in boxes since the late 90s. If you decide to collect proven stars or HOFers, you'll keep the value of your cards for the most part and some can be good investments. If you buy the young stars, you are basically playing a mini-stock market. Avoid buying when players are hyped up after a big week.

2.Patches/Jerseys - the cheaper alternative to getting something of a particular player. Patches would be a small piece of the jersey from the name plate, number, or logo...jerseys are one color sections. Great deals can be made on a lot of them, even the big names, but resale value and investment potential is lower.

3. Sets - Getting a complete set nowadays is almost pointless unless you have the stamina to hunt them down. A lot of rookie cards are now single print or numbered, making them harder to pull out of individual boxes. Base sets without rookies are worthless. If you want to collect sets, put together anything from 86 and before. A set like 84, with Marino and Elway rookies would be a good one. I have the 81 set that my father and I put together growing up.

For me, I collect autographs and jerseys of Colts players, and I've been picking up other teams' stars because I've seen them play though they'd be gone in a heart beat if the price was right. The Colts will go to my kids. I'd like to also go back and put some other sets together like my 81 set. I'd love to do the 74 one since I was born that year.

As for where to buy them, single cards can be picked up on ebay, for boxes try blowoutcards.com Good deals and occasional specials.

Let me know if you need any more help. I'm a bit of a card junkie (my wife always reminds me of this)
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #14
Epi_862
Mascot

I really dont care much for the value of the cards, i just want something to collect...

So.

Would a good idea be this set for example?
2009 Bowman Draft Picks Football Hobby Box : Blowout Cards - Sports Cards and Trading Cards Wholesale Online Store

Is it something that will propably continue for the foreseeable future? Is it something that has been out for a while? Should i invest in something more useful, like, say, beer?
Old 05-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #15
BigDawg
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
I really dont care much for the value of the cards, i just want something to collect...

So.

2009 Bowman Draft Picks Football Hobby Box : Blowout Cards - Sports Cards and Trading Cards Wholesale Online Store

Is it something that will propably continue for the foreseeable future? Is it something that has been out for a while? Should i invest in something more useful, like, say, beer?

Well if you just want to collect for the fun do it as I did ack i the day. uy Packs or a box of packs... open them up put them i order than you can go fid the few your missing to complete the set. I use to love goig to card shows with my list of missig cards to find.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #16
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:

So.

Bowman Draft Picks is new this year. You might want to check out Prestige or UD Draft. They are pretty sharp looking and have been around for a bit.

The early sets are typically cheaper to buy, would give you something fun to collect...and save you money for beer.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:36 AM   #17
Epi_862
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Bowman Draft Picks is new this year. You might want to check out Prestige or UD Draft. They are pretty sharp looking and have been around for a bit.

The early sets are typically cheaper to buy, would give you something fun to collect...and save you money for beer.

So this would be a good starting point? 2008 Upper Deck Draft Edition Football Hobby Box : Blowout Cards - Sports Cards and Trading Cards Wholesale Online Store

Maybe start with the 2008 set, move to 2009 and if i still want to collect, i can go back to 2007, 2006 ect..
Old 05-27-2009, 05:46 AM   #18
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Yes, that would be a good one. Full of good rookies and all the big stars and a nice looking set. Box price is pretty good too. You should have no problem putting that set together.