Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Boston College LB Mark Herzlich diagnosed with cancer

Terrible news. This kid is a potential top 15 pick, and from all reports just a good kid. I know cancer is all over but to see it happen to such a young kid is just a shame. Hope he makes it through it and is able to see the field again one day.

Quote:
Boston College linebacker Mark Herzlich, the ACC's Defensive Player of the Year, revealed Thursday that he is battling cancer.

[+] EnlargeMark Herzlich
AP Photo/Michael DwyerMark Herzlich said Thursday he has Ewing's Sarcoma, a cancer most often found in bone or soft tissue.

Herzlich, a senior, was diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma, a cancer most often found in bone or soft tissue.

"Obviously, I was shocked. I had been extremely focused on preparing for my senior season at Boston College and for life beyond that. Now, I must channel all that energy into facing my toughest opponent yet, and that is exactly what I will do," Herzlich said in a statement released by the school.

Herzlich has returned to his native Pennsylvania to be near his family and undergo tests to determine a course of treatment.

Herzlich was a finalist for the Butkus Award, given to the nation's top linebacker, last season. He led the Eagles with 110 tackles, six interceptions, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.

"When people think of Mark Herzlich, they think of a fearless individual who is always ready to take on a tough opponent. His integrity, determination and focus are unmatched. I know he will face this challenge with that same attitude," Boston College coach Frank Spaziani said.

Herzlich said he was unsure what his illness meant for his football future.

"At this point, I do not know what this means for my football future, but I am determined to rid my body of this disease so that I can put that uniform back on," he said. "Thank you in advance for your prayers and concern. Together, we will fight this and win."

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

OMG...are you kidding me??

FUCK.

Such a great kid. Was going to be our third high draft pick in 3 years and do so well for himself, and now this??
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

This screams for a future "overcoming the odds" story.. Seems like this type of thing only serves to strengthen the resolve of the one who is being set back.

Definitely a sad situation, but a guy like this, in peak physical condition, should be able to battle through and overcome if the cancer is not too far along.

I don't mean to be foolish when making this statement, but I believe this guy will probably come back stronger because of this. His makeup just feels that way to me.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:03 AM   #4
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't think you overcome this to play in the NFL. He'll be lucky if he overcomes it to live a long life. It's an aggressive cancer. 60% survival rate if it's caught early on and under 25% for later stages.

Very sad story and makes you really think about how fragile our lives are. Hopefully being a physically fit athlete helps raise his chances at survival.

Last edited by RainMaker : 05-15-2009 at 05:07 AM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't think you overcome this to play in the NFL. He'll be lucky if he overcomes it to live a long life. It's an aggressive cancer. 60% survival rate if it's caught early on and under 25% for later stages.

Very sad story and makes you really think about how fragile our lives are. Hopefully being a physically fit athlete helps raise his chances at survival.

True. Of course, the survival rates vary widely depending upon how big the tumor is and if it has spread. Depending upon the size/location of the tumor and if there is involvement of surrounding blood vessels and/or nerves, he may be looking at amputation or limb salvaging surgery. Hopefully, he is one of the lucky ones that this was caught early and he can have a full recovery.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote