Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-28-2009, 11:40 PM   #1
MikeVic
Head Coach

Wolverine ad

No I don't have noscript or adblock or whatever.

I just wanted this thread to bring up the annoying Wolverine:Origins movie ad. There's like this sound of metal (the claws), and the the entire screen taken up by the ad!! Boo.

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:49 AM   #2
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
No I don't have noscript or adblock or whatever.

I just wanted this thread to bring up the annoying Wolverine:Origins movie ad. There's like this sound of metal (the claws), and the the entire screen taken up by the ad!! Boo.

Don't run adblock and I've never seen it.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:57 AM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You guys better be careful. The elitist douchbags around here may criticize you for using archaic technology. You know who you are.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:15 AM   #4
Groundhog
Coordinator

The Aliens vs Predator ad that covers the screen when my mouse cursor touches it is annoying.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Saw the Wolvie ad this morning. Terrible.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Don't run adblock and I've never seen it.

+1 (at work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I had to install adblock because I use the site over Remote Desktop -- it brings everything to a crawl with the ads. I never bother at home, but I haven't seen this ad.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I haven't seen this ad either. That said, I have found the cross-promotion of this movie to be pretty baffling. I have seen Wolverine sell everything from shaving cream to Slurpies to pizza.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I haven't seen this ad either. That said, I have found the cross-promotion of this movie to be pretty baffling. I have seen Wolverine sell everything from shaving cream to Slurpies to pizza.

I saw something where Charles Barkley popped claws on Kenny Smith or something... Wolverine is everywhere right now.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
Butter
Coordinator

I use Netscape Navigator 2.0 and I have never seen this ad. Why isn't everyone running NN????
Old 05-01-2009, 09:07 AM   #11
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Fuck you Wolverine! He's appearing a tonne this morning. This ad may have just screwed every other advertiser over in terms of reaching me, as I'm about 1 more metallic "shnikt!" away from installing ad block.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 05-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Fuck you Wolverine! He's appearing a tonne this morning. This ad may have just screwed every other advertiser over in terms of reaching me, as I'm about 1 more metallic "shnikt!" away from installing ad block.

Last night at home I got that Wolverine ad at least three times, and it prompted me to install AdBlock at work. I don't want to deal with that ad when I'm trying to quickly catch up on FOFC.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #13
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

It's frustrating because I understand that ads help to bring revenue to the web, and I don't mind them 99% of the time. Sometimes I even see an interesting one and click on it (like the baseball boss one that has been on here lately). But then some jackass with l33t javascript skillzors and a hard-on for Wolvie has to fuck it up for everybody.

Last edited by Fidatelo : 05-01-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #14
MikeVic
Head Coach

The ad and commercials for that movie EVERYWHERE have me pretty turned off on the movie as well.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #15
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I saw something where Charles Barkley popped claws on Kenny Smith or something... Wolverine is everywhere right now.

I managed to see that last night for the first time. My lord...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #16
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
The ad and commercials for that movie EVERYWHERE have me pretty turned off on the movie as well.

I was turned off the movie from the original trailer. It looks like absolute shit. Not to mention that the reality of Woverine's origin is so much lamer than the mystery that used to surround it. Marvel should have left well-enough alone after the Weapon X comics in the 80's. Sometimes less is more.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #17
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Well, adblock is officially installed. Say goodbye to a small chunk of revenue, interwebs.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #18
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

What a piece of shit ad.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #19
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I was turned off the movie from the original trailer. It looks like absolute shit. Not to mention that the reality of Woverine's origin is so much lamer than the mystery that used to surround it. Marvel should have left well-enough alone after the Weapon X comics in the 80's. Sometimes less is more.

I agree. I was as big a Wolverine fan as there was back in my comic collecting days. While his "origin" story was written after I stopped collecting, I picked it up out of interest. It was awful.

I've never thought this movie looked any good. Still, I will likely see it. I think Jackman is great as Wolverine, it's just too bad that they didn't give him a better story to work with.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:25 AM   #20
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Haven't seen it - going to see the movie this weekend for sure though, Wolverine and Gambit in a movie - can't resist
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #21
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm seeing it tonight too... my expectations are so low that I hope it's not still disappointing.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #22
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I'm seeing it tonight too... my expectations are so low that I hope it's not still disappointing.

This about where I'm at. So long as I get one or two solid berserker rages, I'll be fine. I'm also interested in seeing how Liev Schriber is as Sabertooth.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #23
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

My favorite thing about this terrible, horrible online ad is the way the banner that stays at the top of the page says "rollover to replay".

Yes, I'm sure there are a ton of people who see that awful, putrid ad and think "oh wow, a loud annoying noise and my whole screen taken over, I want so badly to relive that experience again!"

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-01-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:01 PM   #24
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

This is why I only surf the web by source code. No more annoying ads for me....

Last edited by fantom1979 : 05-01-2009 at 05:01 PM.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #25
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
This is why I only surf the web by source code.

I don't even know what that means.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:21 PM   #26
DanGarion
Coordinator

I honestly still don't know what ad you are talking about. I don't use any sort of ad-blocker in Firefox and I never see annoying ads with the FOFC skin that I use.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:21 PM   #27
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't even know what that means.

Right click on the website and then click on "View Page Source".
Old 05-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #28
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Right click on the website and then click on "View Page Source".

That's incomprehensible.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #29
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
That's incomprehensible.

What I told you to do or what you saw when you did it?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #30
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
What I told you to do or what you saw when you did it?

The latter.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #31
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

By the way, do a Google search for "wolverine ad" and you'll find this same discussion happening on just about every male-targeted forum out there. Great work, Fox.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #32
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
This movie is getting such bad reviews that theres no way Im watching,

waiting to hear from some FOFCers on it though.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #33
MikeVic
Head Coach

Saw it last night. Went in with low expectations, and it was enjoyable. Some dull parts, some funny parts, and some cool (but pretty unbelievable, even for a comic movie) action. If you like Wolverine and comic book movies, I'd say it's an eventual watch... maybe not the theatres, but eventually.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #34
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

That film rocked - no it wasn't in depth thought provoking stuff, but as a fan of both Wolverine and Gambit I loved it
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:52 AM   #35
spleen1015
Coordinator

I saw it yesterday. It is a comic book movie, so you know what you are going to get.

I thought some of the special effects were pretty bad considering what we've seen with the same things previously. The first time you the metal claws, they look pretty bad. It was laughable.

If you go in expecting too much you'll be disappointed. I don't think it was too bad.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote