Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-21-2003, 12:06 AM   #1
Craptacular
College Starter

Hyundai: anyone have one or know someone who does?

Some of you may remember my recent thread asking about used cars. Well, my wife and I have been looking around (and I've been researching online). We've found a few possibilities, but I'm also still keeping affordable new cars in mind.

Admittedly, the incredible warranty (5 year or 60,000 mile basic, 10 year or 100,000 mile powertrain) has gotten me to at least look at Hyundai. Edmunds really loves the Elantra (compact sedan like a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla), and while they're not quite as high on the Sonota (class of Accord, Camry), they still like the value. The Elantra actually has a better engine than the Corolla or Civic, while the Sonata's is definitely a step down from the Accord or Nissan Altima.

Honestly, if we were going to spend around 20K or more anyway, we'd probably go for a VW Passat, Accord, etc., so I doubt the Sonota would be much of a consideration, despite the <$20 K price tag and warranty. However, since you can get a "loaded" Elantra (with power everything, ABS, leather seats, sunroof, CD player) for $15K, it's something I'm going to look at. I know it's not quite the sporty car I'm looking for, but my wife and I have an agreement that whatever we buy now, she'll take in a couple of years when we get rid of her current car. Then, I can get a nice Passat, Maxima, Accord or whatever we can afford at the time.

To make a long story short, does anyone have an opinion on a Hyundai (specifically Elantra or Sonota)? I know they don't have the appeal of the more popular cars, but if I can get a new one for $3k-6K less than the other brands, or for the same price as a few year-old used Honda or Toyota, it's at least worth a look. Thanks for any input.

Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 12:21 AM   #2
sabotai
General Manager

I just got a 95 Elantra. (Some of you may be familiar with my trouble with my old car. This is what I got to replace it.)

So far, it's very nice. My only problems with it stem from not being used to some things like power windows and the little fin on the back. With my old car, I would always roll my windows up as I was getting out of the car. Now I have to make sure I put them up before I turn the car off. And the fin reflects light from the street lights at night that I can see in my review mirror. Little annoying, but I'll get used to it.

Overall, so far, I give it high marks. But you really shouldn't take my word for it. As long as it gets me from A to B to C without the thought that it might break down, I'm happy. I'm very unpicky about the car I drive.

And if you saw the shape of my last car, you'd know that. (paint peeling and rust spots)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 12:27 AM   #3
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai

And if you saw the shape of my last car, you'd know that. (paint peeling and rust spots)

I currently drive a '92 Plymouth Sundance that is rusting and emits so many creaking noises, I'm worried the floor is going to just fall out! An Elantra would still be a big step up.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:35 AM   #4
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

my step dad has been a mechanic for about 16 years and he says that hyundai's are 60,000 mile throw away cars, but theres not much cars he likes, and you couldnt get him to touch a ford.

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 01:49 AM   #5
mrskippy
Banned

Korean made junk. Same goes for Kia and Daewoo (which I made the mistake of buying).
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 06:40 AM   #6
condors
College Starter

i got one it was an excel with 4 doors and the larger engine and i had it for 10 years the only problem is i had to get 3 transmissions but they were covered so it was 0 dollars out of my pocket each time, my finace just got a sonota a few months ago and while its not the top of the line we have a car we don't have to worry about. I would have no problem getting another one when my intrepid goes
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 06:49 AM   #7
Bee
Pro Starter

My sister-in-law had one and after about 40,000 miles it started acting up. It was just one problem after another. Even if the warranty covers it, I don't know if the savings is worth the headache of having to take your car in to the shop every couple months and not having a vehicle you can depend on. For another $5K you can get something a lot more reliable and $5K spread out over the length of a loan is not that much money when you think about it. If you still can't handle the extra $100 a month, I'd say get a reliable used car and not one of the throw-away vehicles. It would probably be more reliable and a better investment long-term. Take a look at the value of say a 5 year old Hyundai Elantra and a 7 year old Honda Accord or VW Passat or whatever.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 08:17 AM   #8
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I agree. My father-in-law had one about 5-6 years ago, and he got rid of it because there were repeated problems. That's why they give you such a generous warranty. The problem is, who wants the hassle of having to take off work and being without your car several times a year? It might not cost money to fix, but it will cost you in other ways.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:06 AM   #9
Craptacular
College Starter

Thanks for the input so far. Just FYI, I work two blocks from the Hyundai dealer, so taking it in for service wouldn't be as big of a problem, as I could walk back and forth. Obviously, I still don't want to have to take it there very often.

The other thing is payments and timing. In our current situation, we're not looking for a loan, and until we get our mortgage finalized, we can't really take on any debt. If I knew my current car would last me into the fall without putting any repair $ into it, I'd gladly wait. The problem is that I'm worried my car will fall apart at any minute. That's why I'm looking cheap. Hyundai has a $1500 rebate going through the end of the month, so we'd be looking at <$14,000. Yeah, we can get an OK used car for that, but I hate dealing with slimeballs (used car salesmen) and I often don't trust the private seller.

Oh well, I'll keep looking, and I'll probably at least test drive an Elantra. Additional comments are gladly accepted.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:32 AM   #10
heybrad
Norm!!!

I'm passing this along only because it was one of the funnier quotes I had ever heard. A friend of mine owned a Hyundai and was trading it in to get a new car. When he told the dealer he had a Hyundai the dealer said... "Owning your car is like stepping in a warm piece of shit on a summer afternoon." Well said.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:44 AM   #11
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I own a 2001 Elantra and have had no problems with it. The thing with Hyundais is that the last two or three years have been significantly better than the previous years. The cars now are highly reliable and well rated, whereas the older models really were pieces of shiat.

I did a lot of research before I bought my car. I had owned a Contour and loved it, but it got smashed up. I tested a number of cars in the Elantra class, and it just felt better to me than the Civic or Focus. IMO it looked better and drove better.

I don't think I would get a Sonata, but for the 13000 that I spent on a loaded new Elantra, I have been very happy.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:51 AM   #12
Craptacular
College Starter

JPhillips, your comments are exactly the kind of stuff I've been seeing when I've been researching online. Heck, even my Dad, who has been driving only BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus for the last 15 years, and researches all of his purchases extensively, is thinking about getting a Hyundai.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:01 AM   #13
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Craptacular: I don't know how to react to us agreeing!
Old 04-21-2003, 12:10 PM   #14
Kodos
Resident Alien

Get a Honda Civic!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 12:22 PM   #15
BFleming
H.S. Freshman Team

Craptacular,

For what it's worth, I drove a '92 Sundance for years...have a '00 Elantra now, and it seems like I may be in the minority, but even after 55k miles I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I always just make sure I keep up with the maintenance and everything is cool...Actually, the Sundance and the Elantra "feel" pretty similar...

Feel free to ask for any more info, I'll do my best to help...

BF
BFleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 12:47 PM   #16
MikeVic
Head Coach

I have a '94 Hyundai Excel hatchback... it has 82K kilometers on it, and it's running very smoothly.. nothing has been wrong with it yet. And I mean NOTHING. It amazes me...

I would recommend a Hyundai, but since I haven't gone over the magical 100K mark yet, I don't know about the longevity...

Good luck with your purchase!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 12:57 PM   #17
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by BFleming
Actually, the Sundance and the Elantra "feel" pretty similar...

That's good to hear. Despite all the verbal abuse I give my Sundance, for a car of its type, it is actually sort of fun to drive. Obviously, it does not blow anyone away as far as performance, but I've been happy with the "feel" of a car that cost less than $6K new in '92.

If the dealership near me is open when I get off work, I might wander over and see if I can test drive one.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:01 PM   #18
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeVic
I have a '94 Hyundai Excel hatchback ...
I would recommend a Hyundai, but since I haven't gone over the magical 100K mark yet, I don't know about the longevity...

Considering they have supposedly boosted the quality quite a bit in the last few years, it's good to see one of their older cars still running well.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:02 PM   #19
Anthony
Banned

i didn't bother reading your entire post. my wife and i have a fully loaded 2002 5 door Elantra and we love it. unbelievable amount of trunk space. handles pretty sweet. the warranty is without comparison. got it for about $14k. it was our first new car.

Last edited by Anthony : 04-21-2003 at 04:03 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 04:44 PM   #20
Bee
Pro Starter

It's kinda sad when it's a positive to say it drives like a Sundance...
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 04:51 PM   #21
Craptacular
College Starter

H.A., we don't like the look of the 5-door (hatchback) as much as the regular GT sedan, but I'd still consider it. I like the functionality of a hatchback. However, it may not matter much anyway, because out of the couple dozen Elantras on the lot, only one is a hatchback.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:53 PM   #22
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
It's kinda sad when it's a positive to say it drives like a Sundance...

LMAO! The Sundance sucks when one of the hamsters has to take a break.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:10 PM   #23
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

I can''t be sure that the cars here in Australia are the same as in the US, but my wife drove a Hyundai Sonata for two years. She was a rep for a medical company and it was supplied by the company. She had no problems with it whatsoever, did a lot of miles, but it was new when she got it.

When she left the company she bought herself a "pre-loved" Hyundai Coupe. That hasn't been as reliable though I suspect it was badly treated previously.

On alternative cars: we have a Honda as a relief car (when one of our cars goes for service). It's 17 years old. Has gone around the clock 3 times and it still runs like clockwork. Never have to touch it. I would buy another Honda anytime!
Old 04-21-2003, 09:54 PM   #24
Craptacular
College Starter

Well, we took a test drive, and my wife and I both liked it. The interior features are sufficient and logically arranged. The engine seems to have enough kick, although the one thing we didn't do was floor it in a passing situation. All-in-all, it would fit our needs. Unfortunately, the selection of GTs at this lot was crap (the one we test drove was the color we would least want). We'll be checking around, and also looking for the GLS trim loaded with everything the GT has except for leather and a spoiler.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:04 PM   #25
dread
n00b

I currently own a 2003 Hyundai santa Fe and so far quite enjoy my purchase, hyundai has made great strides since they started doing thier own engines,no longer mitsubishi rejects. I test drove many similar vehicles and my vehicle compared very favorably with the others in my opinion and in the reviews from pros. After owning my 1991 scoupe i thought I would never again want to purchase a Hyundai ,but after driving and researching the current product line they seem to be quite improved.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:09 AM   #26
Craptacular
College Starter

Well, we finally bought a car. We ended up buying the Hyundai Elantra after finding one in the style and color we wanted with the features we required. So, tomorrow we'll be picking up a Silver Elantra GT Sedan with manual tranny, leather, ABS with traction control, and power sunroof. We agreed on a sales price of about $14,600, which was roughly $400 under invoice and $500 below the "True Market Value" price on Edmunds. Then, there is a $1500 instant rebate, bringing the pre-tax price down to $13,100. After agreeing on the price, I mentioned my lovely 1992 Sundance, which they ended up offering me $500 for. I may have been able to get a few hundred more from some poor college student, but I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and agreed to the trade. A rusted manual tranny '92 Sundance with no A/C is not going to fetch much! I just hope the Elantra lives up to the praises from Edmunds and other critics. At least I'll have AC now!
Old 08-02-2003, 12:28 AM   #27
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

FTR - my sister had bad luck with her slightly used Elantra (bought it last year, was a 2001 model). Clutch had to be replaced about a year after buying it. Hard to pin that on somebody who owned the car for less than a year before her, and she certainly didn't fuck it up. Make of it what you want.

Hope your new car is problem-free, and works well for you guys Crap! Nothing like your first drive in your new car.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:03 AM   #28
Craptacular
College Starter

Yeah, we'll see. Any new car is a crap shoot, so we'll just hope we get lucky. At least the warranty is awesome.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:35 AM   #29
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Good luck, Craptacular; I'll be crossing my fingers right there along with you. Bought a 2002 Sonata (with about 10K miles on it) about six weeks ago and just took it on its first cross-country excursion. It was a pretty nice drive (30+ MPG on the road and enough power to goose it quickly when we needed to pass). One warning sign, though - the CD player skipped so bad on the interstate that it ended up eating the CD I had in it. On the other hand, I think I'm going to upgrade the stereo to satellite radio anyway, so I suspect the CD was going away in any case.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 01:49 AM   #30
mckerney
Coordinator

Buy a Lincoln Navigator!
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 04:10 AM   #31
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Shkspr
Good luck, Craptacular; I'll be crossing my fingers right there along with you. Bought a 2002 Sonata (with about 10K miles on it) about six weeks ago and just took it on its first cross-country excursion. It was a pretty nice drive (30+ MPG on the road and enough power to goose it quickly when we needed to pass). One warning sign, though - the CD player skipped so bad on the interstate that it ended up eating the CD I had in it. On the other hand, I think I'm going to upgrade the stereo to satellite radio anyway, so I suspect the CD was going away in any case.

Don't feel bad. I have the same problem with the CD player I have in my 2003 Camry.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 08:59 AM   #32
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mrskippy
Korean made junk. Same goes for Kia and Daewoo (which I made the mistake of buying).

In my area, you can buy a Daewoo and get one free (really!!!)
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 11:34 PM   #33
Craptacular
College Starter

I haven't even tried the CD player yet, nor even programmed my radio presets! I'm just happy to have air conditioning, especially since the dark leather seats get hot.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:22 AM   #34
Esquared1
High School JV

Crap,

I can say that if you bought it from Zimbrick, they will do a good job of taking care of your car. I worked there a few years ago, until I made a career change. (I worked at the Fish Hatchery location.)

If you purchased it from Zimbrick, who was your salesperson?
Old 08-06-2003, 10:36 PM   #35
Craptacular
College Starter

Esquared1,

I didn't buy it at Zimbrick, because they never got what I wanted in stock. We found it in the Milwaukee area and got a better price than a quote for a similar vehicle from Zimbrick. Gary Cooper was the guy I worked with at Z. I actually work a few hundred yards from Zimbrick, so I'll get my service done there, unless they don't like the fact I didn't buy it there!
Old 08-07-2003, 06:07 AM   #36
Philliesfan980
Banned

Here's my whole issue with Hyundai's: Their past reputation.

While they do have some really sharp looking new cars out there (the new sports car Tiberaun, and the xg350 I believe). The problem is 1. Getting wierd looks from everyone when you told them that you just bought a Hyundai and 2. Past history of producing some really terrible cars.

I also wonder what is going on with their pricing stragtegy. Are they trying to sell a ton of cars and try and reverse their negative past by selling their cars so cheap? Or are they really cheaply made cars? The warrenty is good, but that only covers major things right? I'm in the market for a new sport/coupe type car (Acura RSX, Niessan 350ZX, etc) and the Tiberaun really caught my eye. Its just a shame that I don't trust the company enough to buy it. Its about 10-12k less than the Neissan 350zx and about 6 k less than the Acura RSX.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 06:26 AM   #37
condors
College Starter

you can get a bumper to bumper warrenty for it when you get it

but drive all the cars your thinking about go home and then decide which one is right for you, don't trust salesmen!
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 11:12 AM   #38
Esquared1
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
Esquared1,

I didn't buy it at Zimbrick, because they never got what I wanted in stock. We found it in the Milwaukee area and got a better price than a quote for a similar vehicle from Zimbrick. Gary Cooper was the guy I worked with at Z. I actually work a few hundred yards from Zimbrick, so I'll get my service done there, unless they don't like the fact I didn't buy it there!

They will still take care of you. . A guy I worked with is now a service advisor there. I wish I could remember his name. Anyhow, the important thing is that Zimbrick is a good place, for it being a car dealership and all.

Everyday, I'm glad I don't sell cars anymore.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you work?
Esquared1 is offline   Reply With Quote