Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

What's up with the shootings lately?

This is not atrolling thread but an honest question. It appears from my off and on news watching that in the past month there has been an inordinate number of shootings around the country? I remember of fthe top of my head:
-Binghamton,NY
-Radford Uni
-Seattle, Washington (Gas station robbery guy with 7 yr old daughter)
-Warwick,RI
-NJ
-Beverly Hills,Cal
-Pittsburgh, Pa police shootings
ETC

These are all just in the last couple of weeks and am wondering if it is the recession, the fact "some " people are nervous about losing the right to have guns, the liberal media over sensationalizing the gun violence for there anti gun agenda or is it just another day in America?

I found this article albeit CCN it seems to bring up a similar question as mine? And it also does bring up my second question if there is a true spike in mass shooting nationwide recently why are aren't there more cries for stricter gun legislation? Once again, I admit this string of mass shooting headlines could just be portions of the media trying publicize shootings that happen everyday in this country more so to stoke up gun control discussions (food for thought).

Last edited by Galaril : 04-17-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
sabotai
General Manager

Shootings happen everyday!

(I live near Philly)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Slow news period, so they are reporting them more.

Also, CNN loves these as they can make cool headlines from them and sell more T-Shirts that way.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Shootings happen everyday!

(I live near Philly)

Right that is true but it seems they are appearing the national networks more these days. Maybe it is just slow news period.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe just slow news....or a conspiracy theorist, could say that a liberal media created an economic crisis to usher in change, and now is creating a gun crisis to usher away guns....

I mean obviously thats insane...but a conspiracy theorist *could* claim such
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
molson
General Manager

The question is why shootings are covered more nationally (if that's true). Actual crime rates, including homicides, are still incredibly low in most cities, by historical standards.

Last edited by molson : 04-17-2009 at 04:47 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
BishopMVP
Coordinator

If it bleeds, it leads. Plus once you can get a meme going (the economy is causing people to go crazy and shoot their families!) and bring talking heads on to argue about it for hours it takes on a life of its own and you start searching for stories to fit the predetermined storyline. Toss in the heightened attention leading to some copycats, and you've got a perfect storm.

The gun control thing isn't being spun that way because most of the killings in the US are done with guns purchased illegally anyways. Plus, the media (or at least the NYT) is trying to use the Mexican border cartel war as its backdoor to gun control, but they keep killing the argument by bringing up anti-aircraft missiles and automatic weapons which clearly aren't sold in gun stores in the United States.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 04-17-2009 at 05:25 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
anti-aircraft missiles and automatic weapons which clearly aren't sold in gun stores in the United States.

You really need to start shopping in some better places
Old 04-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Wha..wow.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Jon, at least a couple of times a week, you have a quote that just makes my day

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #11
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

FWIW I live in the Charlotte, NC Metro market and receive their local programming. murder, robbery and violent crime are down 32%, 27% and 31% respectively from the same time last year.

yet it has lead the news ever night for 3 weeks and been front page in the paper how the economy causes senseless killings.

not necessarily aimed at anyone in this thread but there are a lot of sheeple out there.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #12
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't think it's the number of murders , but more likely the number of multiple death murder-suicides. I'd be interested to know whether these are more frequent now than they were, say, 25 years ago, or if we're just hearing about every single one of them because the highest profile tragedies (Columbine, VT, etc.) drew so much attention.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

News coverage of suicides also increases the suicide rate in the short term. So i'm sure it's entirely possible murder-suicides ARE up.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #14
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
FWIW I live in the Charlotte, NC Metro market and receive their local programming. murder, robbery and violent crime are down 32%, 27% and 31% respectively from the same time last year.

That's because all the wackos are unemployed and can't afford firearms anymore.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #15
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

There were two shot and killed today in the big town of Appleton, WI.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:34 PM   #16
PilotMan
Head Coach

The question should be why aren't we focusing on drunk drivers and deaths from auto accidents? No one seems to care anymore.

If a plane crashed every single day killing 120 people there sure as shit would be some attention paid. In 2006 over 42,000 people were killed in car accidents, Almost 40% of all car accidents are caused by drunk drivers. When will this be a priority?

It's a much bigger threat to you and me than shootings.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:53 PM   #17
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't think it's the number of murders , but more likely the number of multiple death murder-suicides. I'd be interested to know whether these are more frequent now than they were, say, 25 years ago, or if we're just hearing about every single one of them because the highest profile tragedies (Columbine, VT, etc.) drew so much attention.

Obviously this doesn't include the last 3 years, but:

"The proportion of homicides involving multiple victims increased gradually during the last two decades from 3.1% of all homicides in 1976 to 4.4% in 2005."

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/multiple.htm

Probably not a noticeable difference. I really think it's a smaller country today. People went crazy and killed their whole families in Idaho in the 80s, it just wasn't national news.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:55 PM   #18
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
In 2006 over 42,000 people were killed in car accidents, Almost 40% of all car accidents are caused by drunk drivers. When will this be a priority?

When you compare those stats to the penalties people get for DUIs in this country, it just doesn't make sense. I don't know what it will take for us to start taking this seriously. Maybe a series of celebrity deaths.

Last edited by molson : 04-17-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:17 PM   #19
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Almost 40% of all car accidents are caused by drunk drivers.

Can you source this?
Cause my BS alarm is going nuts....and this is from someone who recently lost a friend to a drunk driver.

fatal accidents, maybe...
ALL ACCIDENTS? doubtful

just think morning/afternoon commute fender benders have to be a large part of these numbers
Old 04-17-2009, 11:34 PM   #20
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Can you source this?
Cause my BS alarm is going nuts....and this is from someone who recently lost a friend to a drunk driver.

fatal accidents, maybe...
ALL ACCIDENTS? doubtful

just think morning/afternoon commute fender benders have to be a large part of these numbers

That number may be abit high but still it sounds in the ballpark.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:34 PM   #21
sabotai
General Manager

I would think most morning/afternoon fender benders probably don't get reported to the police/insurance. (Just a thought. Not saying I can source or confirm the stated percentage from PilotMan)
Old 04-17-2009, 11:36 PM   #22
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
The question should be why aren't we focusing on drunk drivers and deaths from auto accidents? No one seems to care anymore.

If a plane crashed every single day killing 120 people there sure as shit would be some attention paid. In 2006 over 42,000 people were killed in car accidents, Almost 40% of all car accidents are caused by drunk drivers. When will this be a priority?

It's a much bigger threat to you and me than shootings.

I think one difference is that cars and planes purpose is transportation while guns are obviously not which IMHO is part of why people in general pay more attention to guns fatalities as opposed to auto accidents/plane crashes.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #23
sabotai
General Manager

According to: Drunk driving statistics

"In 2006, there were 13,470 fatalities in crashes involving an alcohol-impaired driver (BAC of .08 or higher) – 32 percent of total traffic fatalities for the year.

16,005 people were killed in the United States in alcohol-related* motor vehicle traffic crashes (BAC of .01 or higher)."

Last edited by sabotai : 04-17-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:22 AM   #24
Schmidty
Coordinator

I despise anyone that knowingly drives drunk, and that includes anyone on this board that I am normally cool with. It's like running around drunk with a loaded gun. You are scum and I hope you hit a tree and die.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:24 AM   #25
Schmidty
Coordinator

Dola.

Well, maybe not die, but at least have to take a ton of aspirin and your car is totaled. And a bit of blood.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:57 AM   #26
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Dola.

Well, maybe not die, but at least have to take a ton of aspirin and your car is totaled. And a bit of blood.

Yer a real hard ass Schmidty, a real hard ass I say.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #27
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
There were two shot and killed today in the big town of Appleton, WI.

For the record, I was not involved in this at all.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #28
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

NHTSA estimates that alcohol was involved in 40 percent of fatal car wrecks and in 8 percent of all car wrecks in 2000.

DUI Victim Lawyer

so 40% of all fatalaties and 8% all crashes, that passes the sniff test much better

Last edited by CU Tiger : 04-18-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #29
molson
General Manager

Quote:
NHTSA estimates that alcohol was involved in 40 percent of fatal car wrecks and in 8 percent of all car wrecks in 2000.

DUI Victim Lawyer

so 40% of all fatalaties and 8% all crashes, that passes the sniff test much better

And that would include (which I think is an important point), cases under .08. Driving at .04, while legal, is still incredibly more dangerous than driving at .00. Miniscule changes in reaction time can make a huge difference.

Last edited by molson : 04-18-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #30
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
For the record, I was not involved in this at all.

Dang. I lost the FOFC homicide pool with that one

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:32 AM   #31
PilotMan
Head Coach

I guess I should stop being word for word from some sites that can't seem to word the stats correctly.

The funny thing is that got more attention then the volumes of people who die in car wrecks each year. The sheer numbers are crazy, but it happens so much it's taken for granted. Look at how much attention SARS got, or the bird flu in asia.

People dying in wrecks are a hazard of the activity, but we regulate things much more fiercely that kill way less people (I have to pass a colorblindness test each year, but aviation is a bad example because many have died to get the rules that we have that make us safe in the air.)

The fact is that shootings are more random, more visicious and get peoples attention way better than single car rollovers because someone was drunk. We ask ouselves who is to blame for murderous rampages, but we never ask why so many are killed each year in cars, and we continue to do little about it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:54 AM   #32
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I guess I should stop being word for word from some sites that can't seem to word the stats correctly.

The funny thing is that got more attention then the volumes of people who die in car wrecks each year. The sheer numbers are crazy, but it happens so much it's taken for granted. Look at how much attention SARS got, or the bird flu in asia.

People dying in wrecks are a hazard of the activity, but we regulate things much more fiercely that kill way less people (I have to pass a colorblindness test each year, but aviation is a bad example because many have died to get the rules that we have that make us safe in the air.)

The fact is that shootings are more random, more visicious and get peoples attention way better than single car rollovers because someone was drunk. We ask ouselves who is to blame for murderous rampages, but we never ask why so many are killed each year in cars, and we continue to do little about it.

I wasnt trying to bust your balls..it just jumped our at me.
That said I still think you are ignoring the % factor. probably somewhere around 90% of all Americans ride in a car daily and many (myself included) probably average 8-9 hours on the road each day. If 100,000,000 ride in a car and 2,500 die that seems like a relatively safe activity for the benefit given.
However if 30 have a gun put in their face on a daily basis and 2 die that is a bit more probable. I guess the moral of that story is avoid situation where a gun will be in your face or be prepared to shoot back.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #33
molson
General Manager

Someone mentioned the New England Craiglist murder/robberies, it looks like they got their man, a clean-cut, Boston University medical student who may have had gambling debts. He apparently made texts from every crime scene. The poor fiance is in complete denial. Should be an interesting story when all this is sorted out.

BU student charged in hotel killing - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe
Charges conflict with portrait of clean-cut student - The Boston Globe