Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #51
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Glad things are going well, Cringer!!!

Isn't melatonin what people recommend for when you have to fly and want to cope better with the time change/jet lag?

/tk

Yes, it is good for that as well as insomnia. It's the closest thing the body has to a natural alarm clock.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #52
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

How does it work to combat jet lag?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #53
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
How does it work to combat jet lag?

SI

It's fairly good for that as well. In fact, the two main things that it has been studied for are insomnia and jet lag. All of the other claims about better health, better healing, etc, I find dubious at best.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #54
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

But how does it work? Do you take it when you get on the plane or something?

SI

Old 05-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #55
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
But how does it work? Do you take it when you get on the plane or something?

SI

No. The main way it helps is to make you sleepy within an hour of taking it when you might not be otherwise. So, if you go to a time zone that is a few hours ahead, it can help you to get to sleep at the local time when you might not be normally ready to go to sleep at that time.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #56
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ah, so that would have helped with my little plan a couple of months ago. We flew out of Newark at 5pm and were going to land at ~8am local time in Rome. So I figured I'd fall asleep around 9ish "local time" and then sleep a few hours and get up refreshed in Rome. Only problems: 767 seats aren't all that comfy and I just wasn't that tired so I only got about an hour and a half of sleep and the jetlag that first day was brutal.

So, of course, the important question: where were you with this info 3 months ago?

SI

Old 07-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #57
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, so it has been about 7 months now and today I will start working towards getting a real estate license. Texas is supposed to be one of the hardest states to get a license in, so it may take me a month or two while still trying to make money. I have to do 210 hrs of course work. Quizzes and tests are online (not exactly pre-law at Georgetown eh?), and once I finish that then I will have to go locally to take the State test to get my license.

Weird time to do this, with things potentially getting harder in this industry, but we have been making it so far when I was worried about it and I figured now was the time to give it a shot. I said 6 months before, so 7 is actually longer then I planned. Here goes nothing....
Old 07-17-2008, 01:25 PM   #58
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Good luck Cringer!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #59
Flasch186
Coordinator

Good Luck!

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #60
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Ok, so it has been about 7 months now and today I will start working towards getting a real estate license. Texas is supposed to be one of the hardest states to get a license in, so it may take me a month or two while still trying to make money. I have to do 210 hrs of course work. Quizzes and tests are online (not exactly pre-law at Georgetown eh?), and once I finish that then I will have to go locally to take the State test to get my license.

Weird time to do this, with things potentially getting harder in this industry, but we have been making it so far when I was worried about it and I figured now was the time to give it a shot. I said 6 months before, so 7 is actually longer then I planned. Here goes nothing....

Just saw this thread, good luck with the testing and licensing thing. It is a very difficult thing completely changing careers as you have done. Your family will thank you for it though (if they haven't already).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:55 AM   #61
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Good luck
SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-18-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:00 AM   #62
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post

I don't think it's a weird time at all. The economy will likely turn for the better within a year or two. At that point, they'll likely be a pretty good rush of both buyers and sellers heading to the market and you'll be licensed and ready to go.

I have a real estate agent that I've worked with on a couple of sales. He said that he's not carrying much selling inventory right now and that he's still making pretty good money as a buyer's agent as there are still people looking for bargains in this market.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:02 AM   #63
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I don't think it's a weird time at all. The economy will likely turn for the better within a year or two. At that point, they'll likely be a pretty good rush of both buyers and sellers heading to the market and you'll be licensed and ready to go.

I have a real estate agent that I've worked with on a couple of sales. He said that he's not carrying much selling inventory right now and that he's still making pretty good money as a buyer's agent as there are still people looking for bargains in this market.

Yeah there are buyers, and we (well the wife) have listings. Repo's of course since that is what she targets to sell. The problem right now is it should get even a little harder for people to get loans then it is right now. I don't plan on doing a lot of big time selling right away anyways. This will actually help me with doing Broker Price Opinions for one thing, with two of my 'electives' being Appraisal and Home Inspection along with the required core material.

What makes this hard is that more realtors have jumped on the REO/BPO bandwagon and the competition down here has gone up. We have one company who we used to get a bunch of orders from and now by the time we get the email saying they have an order in the area it is already too late to get it because by the time you get to the website it was already accepted by someone else. What does help us though is the wife was around before this year unlike the others, so we have inroads with more companies and she is a preferred vendor for a few of them. You have to do some searching to get in with some of these companies as they don't exactly advertise.

There are always extra things to do to bring in money as well. She signed up to help with a property auction. Get the power and water turned on, do a couple reports and she gets $1000. I will go sit around tomorrow and next weekend at an open house for the property at $100 a day and by the austion companies instructions I am not even supposed to talk to people about the house, kind of easy money. If you don't just sit in an office waiting for buyers/sellers to come in, there are ways to make money and get by even when things slow down.

I am looking forward to it though. It has taken some adapting to being home, but overall I have loved it. I want to keep it this way.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:41 AM   #64
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Best of luck, Cringer!
Old 07-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #65
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Best of luck, I know you can do it...and I am happy for you!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:58 PM   #66
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

It's been a full year of being off the road. Time has flown. So much so that it is kind of odd looking back and realizing I haven't even bothered to get my real estate license yet. I finished the education crap a couple months ago and will be taking the state/federal tests in a month or so I guess.

Surprisingly there has not been a point in which I have even had to consider getting back on the truck. We have done fine money wise for the most part, with me helping the wife turn out more property inspections her number of listings and sales had been fairly consistent. That is part of the reason why there hasn't been a rush for me to get my license, though it will be nice to have the handcuff's off when i talk to buyers. With the baby coming and my wife's health, it is getting to the point where I want to start the slow move of me and my name being the main one behind the business.

The weird part about this year has been coaching youth soccer. About to start the spring season and somehow soccer has given me a little side business of doing web pages it seems. I did a free one for the local club my daughter was in. The president of the club hooked me up with the president of the regional group and I got some money for doing their page. I got a call today about two of the sponsors of the league want me to do web pages for them.

The biggest pain about all of this has only really been health insurance. We have had to worry over it constantly.

I still miss the road as well. Being alone in the 'home office' here helps a little with that, but it's not the same as the cab of a truck. Still a huge positive being home though.

Just wanted to go down memory lane and give an update.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:06 AM   #67
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Congrats. I've been doing delivery work for about the past 8 months and I can't even imagine how much it must suck to drive an 18 wheeler. Glad to see you get a fresh start. I remember how good I felt at the one year mark of not having to work in a kitchen anymore after 10 or so years at the grill. Liberating.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:43 AM   #68
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Cringer is from wisconsin if memory serves me right. And why would it.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:20 AM   #69
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Not from Wisconsin, just a Packer fan since being a kid. Live in Texas, from Washington state.

And driving a truck didn't suck at all, except that last year which was in part because of the company I worked for then. Otherwise it was something I enjoyed a lot.

Last edited by Cringer : 01-21-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:12 PM   #70
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Heh, I said in Jan. that I would take my license exams in a month or so. More like three months or so.

After 15 months of being off the road I finally got around to it today. Passed both the state and national tests, so in 10 days I am a real estate agent. I am hoping to conquer the world a couple of weeks after that.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #71
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

congrats!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #72
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

is your slogan going to be "Buy This House Or I'll Fuck Up Your Shit?"
Old 04-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #73
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
is your slogan going to be "Buy This House Or I'll Fuck Up Your Shit?"

Buy this house or I'll hide you in my beard.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #74
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I will try a combo of both of those. Fuck your shit up and then hide it in my beard?