Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #101
flounder
High School Varsity

Looks like Blagojevich is looking to get the last laugh.

Quote:
Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich on Tuesday will name former Illinois Attorney General Roland Burris to the U.S. Senate, sources familiar with the decision say.

Burris' appointment would fill President-elect Barack Obama's former Senate seat. Blagojevich is to announce his choice at a news conference at 3 p.m. ET.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #102
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Illinois AG won't sign the paperwork and the Dem Senate will not seat him.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #103
Flasch186
Coordinator

pure silliness abounds.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:16 PM   #104
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Gotta say it... Blago's got some balls.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #105
Klinglerware
College Starter

So, what did Burris do to get on Blago's "enemies list"? Talk about throwing somebody under the bus...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:58 PM   #106
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Burris apparently ran against Blago in the primaries for government when Blago was elected. Guess you don't run against the Blago .
Old 12-30-2008, 03:24 PM   #107
Galaxy
Coordinator

Are the politicians in Illionis actually going to start the impeachment process?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #108
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Burris didn't get seated by the Senate today, and it doesn't look like he's going to. Further, he created a good amount of press with his entry into the Capitol and presentation of credentials, only to be denied by the Secretary of the Senate, all the while claiming he didn't want "drama".

Initially I viewed Burris as a sympathetic figure, but now the more I hear of him on the radio the more I view him as a whiny bitch.

And back in Illinois the House Impeachment Committee cancelled deliberations today, and continue to do jack all, further solidifying their reputation as useless idiots. I wish we had term limits for these idiots.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #109
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
it doesn't look like he's going to

Unless he sues.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #110
RainMaker
General Manager

Burris is a vain shit who only cares about himself. Those of us from Illinois have known this for awhile.

Still, I don't see how they can stop him. I'm from Illinois and this whole situation is screwed up beyond belief. But he should be the Senator. We elected Blago and we allow the rules that allow him to appoint a Senator in place. The two Senator slots per state are determined by the state as their representatives. The Senate should have no right to remove a state's representation simply because they don't like the process.

I think that's dangerous territory.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #111
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, that's the thing. Secretary of State Jesse White says he's not signed the form (or whatever) because Blagojevich's appointment is not valid, but how can that be, really? Blago hasn't even been indicted.

I think the core problem is that we know Blago broke the law (even if not with regard to the senate appointment, then with something else), but it's not official yet, and he's still governor anyway.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #112
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Senate should have no right to remove a state's representation simply because they don't like the process.

Which is similar to what the Supreme Court has ruled in the past. Perhaps it is different if they actually find a bribe along the way.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #113
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Jesse White, whose name is plastered on everything, as if it's synonymous with Secretary of State, has no authority to stop a legal appointment. It's a dangerous precedent to set.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #114
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

That said, Burris is a joke and I hope he never becomes Senator. He's a tired relic and I have no interest in seeing him all over the screen anymore than we already have.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #115
RainMaker
General Manager

I guess I just don't want to see this used to remove any Senator that people don't like. Democrats removing Republicans and vice versa when the power shifts. Senators at the core are representatives of the state they are from. If a state wants to put a complete moron in power, that's their right. People should direct their anger toward Illinois voters.

And Harry Reid isn't being some stand-up guy here. The only reason he gives a shit is because he knows that Burris would run again in 2010 and lose to the Republican. He doesn't want anything with Blago tainting that Senate race.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #116
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
That said, Burris is a joke and I hope he never becomes Senator. He's a tired relic and I have no interest in seeing him all over the screen anymore than we already have.

They are all jokes. Our political system is an embarassment.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #117
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I guess I just don't want to see this used to remove any Senator that people don't like. Democrats removing Republicans and vice versa when the power shifts. Senators at the core are representatives of the state they are from. If a state wants to put a complete moron in power, that's their right. People should direct their anger toward Illinois voters.

And Harry Reid isn't being some stand-up guy here. The only reason he gives a shit is because he knows that Burris would run again in 2010 and lose to the Republican. He doesn't want anything with Blago tainting that Senate race.

+1
Old 01-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #118
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Old 01-06-2009, 04:03 PM   #119
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Please tell me that's a joke, DC.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #120
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Please tell me that's a joke, DC.

No, I'm afraid it's not. The guy is more self-promoting than Don King. At least King contributed something to society.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #121
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

But seeing that thing, it's easy to see why he'd want it to say United States Senator somewhere on it.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #122
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Do you think he'll add "Attempted United States Senator"?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #123
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Maybe Reid should try to get a Republican appointed then. Someone that may have a hard time getting re-elected, due to age, incompetence, or unpopularity...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #124
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
Maybe Reid should try to get a Republican appointed then. Someone that may have a hard time getting re-elected, due to age, incompetence, or unpopularity...

It's Keyes time, baby!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:38 AM   #125
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
It's Keyes time, baby!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #126
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Apparently Bobby Rush has now said that if the Senate doesn't seat Burris, then it's "segregation".

Which is awesome.

Assholes.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #127
Thomkal
Head Coach

apparantly the Illinois Secretary of State has now come forward and said that his lack of a signature should not prevent Congress from sitting Burris.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #128
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Burris Meets With Reid and Durbin - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Reversing themselves, Senate Democratic leaders this morning opened the door to allowing Roland W. Burris to replace President-elect Barack Obama in the Senate.

Following a private 45-minute meeting with the former state attorney general, Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the majority leader, and Senator Richard J. Durbin of Illinois, the No. 2 Senate Democrat, said that they were open to recognizing Mr. Burris’s appointment as long as he meets a series of conditions.

They said that Mr. Burris, whose appointment was challenged due to the federal inquiry surrounding Governor Rod Blagojevich, has to win the signature of the Illinois secretary of state and persuade a state legislative committee considering impeaching Mr. Blagojevich that there was nothing untoward about the appointment.

“If that comes to a positive conclusion, as we believe it will, the next step is for the Rules Committee to review what has come together here on a bipartisan basis and recommend to the United States Senate, both Democrats and Republicans, the next step,” Mr. Durbin said.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #129
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Blagojevich Camp Asked Burris to Aid Fund-Raising - NYTimes.com

Quote:
CHICAGO — Roland W. Burris acknowledged Saturday that the brother of former Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich solicited a campaign contribution from him several times in the weeks and months before Mr. Blagojevich appointed Mr. Burris to succeed President Obama as Illinois’s junior senator.

Mr. Burris said that in three conversations with Mr. Blagojevich’s brother, Rob Blagojevich, last October and November, he was asked for “my assistance in fund-raising” for the governor — assistance Mr. Burris says he never provided. The senator said in addition to conversations about the Senate seat with Rob Blagojevich, he also spoke with the governor’s chief of staff and one of his top fund-raisers.

The disclosures came in an affidavit that Mr. Burris filed last week with the Illinois House committee that oversaw Governor Blagojevich’s impeachment, and they are at odds with his earlier sworn testimony before the committee. Mr. Burris said he provided the new affidavit to “supplement” earlier sworn testimony he gave before state lawmakers seeking to impeach Mr. Blagojevich.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #130
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Seriously though. The guy looks and acts like a fucking used car salesman. Are the people of Illinois that fucking stupid to elect him?

Ye, I understand that we have the king of used car salemen here with Corzine but I sure as hell didn't vote for the jackass; but unfortunately get stuck with his idiocy.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:31 PM   #131
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Seriously though. The guy looks and acts like a fucking used car salesman. Are the people of Illinois that fucking stupid to elect him?

Ye, I understand that we have the king of used car salemen here with Corzine but I sure as hell didn't vote for the jackass; but unfortunately get stuck with his idiocy.

And Corzine is a very, very rich used car salesman on a power trip. I hate him because he kept Bob Franks out of the Senate, but...at least Jersey folks don't have to worry about him lining his pockets with state money.

He can leave that to pretty much everyone else in local gov't though, at least in the big cities.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #132
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Not surprisingly Burris has changed his story. Both Blago and Burris are trash. You can't trust politicians from Illinois...
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #133
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Apparently, he's in Disney World tonight as he's getting indicted on 16 counts.

Someone badly needs to make a satirical movie about him- something like an old Mel Brooks movie- where they just show how absurd everything is with him including some of his great quotes and everything. I think it was Jon Stewart who said this (paraphrasing), but I could be wrong: "It's amazing because the man thinks it's working".

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote