Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
BYU 14
Coordinator

The first day of our Hawaiian vacation

Is being spent at the Ramada Inn near Phoenix Airport

Hawaiian Airlines was kind enough to change the departure time of our flight and not inform us. So we get there about an hour before our scheduled departure only to be told the planes doors are locked and it is getting ready to depart.

They give us a number to call and we are told first that we should be there 3 hours before our departure......Ah no. How about you send us a notice when change the departure so we don't have to live in the Airport like Tom Hanks.

Then they say they will be happy to get us on the flight tomorrow for a modest transfer fee of $400. Are you fucking kidding me? You screw up and then try and charge us $400 because we were didn't check in 3 hours ahead of time?

Phoenix Airport is great about getting through security fast and we have never needed to arrrive more than an hour before our departure, so it is just annoying that they are trying to put this on us (there were 3 other people there the same time as us that weren't notified either BTW)

After much haggling we got the fee to $100 to transfer the tickets to tomorrow, as the other alternative was write a letter to try and get a refund and blow off the trip we planned a year and a half ago. So today we are taking advantage of being in a Hotel room all day alone.......guess it could be worse......Though we are missing is the Ocean view

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
SFL Cat
College Starter

Man, that sucks. Sounds like you're making the best of it, though.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Keep track of everything and contact them when you get back .If that doesnt work,contact the BBB ....Worked for me....
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Bummer. Tho, I do appreciate the idea of living in the airport like Tom Hanks

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
JediKooter
Coordinator

And I wonder why Hawaiian airlines is in bankruptcy protection...

Typical airline company snobbery in my opinion. 3 hours before a flight??? Um, no, I'm not going to a foreign country.

Hope it all works out BYU

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I read the travel ombudsman at cnn (as well in T&L) and they emphasize to get every communications in writing (i.e., don't call). Glad you were able to get it down to $100. In the past several years, I have made it a habit to check-in online the night before. I don't like surprises at the airport.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
In the past several years, I have made it a habit to check-in online the night before. I don't like surprises at the airport.

Yep. I check in and even periodically check my flight times the day of from my Blackberry.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation.

For the record, there is a reason they tell you to check the status of your flight 24 hours prior to leaving. With that said, I usually don't so I am not preaching here (of course most of my flights are for work so I am not usually broken up if I have to reschedule).

Oh, and now after reading the thread I understand why it was posted. I saw the thread title and thought "what the hell is he doing on FOFC on his Hawaiian vacation?"
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I read the travel ombudsman at cnn (as well in T&L) and they emphasize to get every communications in writing (i.e., don't call). Glad you were able to get it down to $100. In the past several years, I have made it a habit to check-in online the night before. I don't like surprises at the airport.

Definitely a lesson learned and I will be checking from now on as well. I am grateful we got it to $100, they technically could have just said pay it or don't go. I would have raised holy hell, but in the end it would have likely been a lot of effort for little in the way of results, so it could have been worse.

All good though, the tour we had planned for tomorrow was cancelled due to rain and I rescheduled it for later in the week, so that worked out and we can check in as soon as we get there tomorrow instead of needing to wait until 4 (We are staying at our timeshare so no money lost there)

We can wait until tomorrow to be sipping Mai Tai's on the beach and still have 7 days there. Hopefully we will be able to hook up with Macroguru later in the week as well.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 03-25-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
"what the hell is he doing on FOFC on his Hawaiian vacation?"

LOL, good point, you will definitely see no more posts from me until April 2nd after today!
Old 03-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
LOL, good point, you will definitely see no more posts from me until April 2nd after today!

Enjoy it ya bastard (no jealousy here)...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
We can wait until tomorrow to be sipping Mai Tai's on the beach and still have 7 days there. Hopefully we will be able to hook up with Macroguru later in the week as well.

I wish we could have had more time to talk and chill in Hawaii...What a small world when you can meet an FOFCer on their vacation in paradise while your working in paradise. LOL!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #13
BYU 14
Coordinator

Well, things picked up considerably after that first day, what an awesome place to visit. It really pisses me off I waited until I was 46 to suck it up and not worry about flying over water for 5 hours to get there. The Pearl Harbor tour was surprisingly emotional as well, standing above the USS Arizona really puts a perspective on things.

Here are a few pics (None of Pearly Harbor, since I forgot the Camera battery that day and had to buy a disposable, so they are still getting developed)

The best sunset in the World

Right before dinner at the Shore Bird....great place to eat

Setting out for some snorkeling

These Girls just kept following me.....(That's my story)

What are the odds of running into Macroguru??

I can't take her anywhere
Old 04-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #14
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

glad it picked up for you BYU!

Hawaii's a funny place to run into people.

When we were living in California we went to Hawaii on vacation one time. Didn't even know that our neighbors across the street were there as well. Ran into them at the airport on the big island on the way home and it turned out we were on the same flight.

Good times.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Looks like fun

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #16
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
The Pearl Harbor tour was surprisingly emotional as well, standing above the USS Arizona really puts a perspective on things.

I felt the same way, and I would describe myself as one of the least patriotic people I know. I was fairly oblivious to some of the key details of the Arizona before arriving there, and I think that helped the tour itself hit home a little more. It's a very eery, solemn setup.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote