Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dontrelle Willis to the DL with Anxiety Disorder

Not a shock considering how far he's fallen but it's still weird to hear it finally admitted. I wonder if he will be on it for most of the year. I assume EF27 would be able to take an educated guess.

Anyway, anyone else remember someone on the DL for Anxiety?

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
samifan24
Pro Starter

Zack Greinke went on the DL a few years ago with a social anxiety disorder. It took him about a year and a half to work his way all the way back to the way he was with the Royals. He seems to be ok now.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Zack Greinke went on the DL a few years ago with a social anxiety disorder. It took him about a year and a half to work his way all the way back to the way he was with the Royals. He seems to be ok now.

Wow, totally forgot about that.

I am not sure D-Train will ever get back but hes only 26 so he has the time to get back to it.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
Schmidty
Coordinator

That sucks. I really hope he gets better soon. I know how hard that kind of thing can be.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
Bad-example
College Starter

what better anxiety disorder or tobacco withdrawal syndrome
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
Drake
assmaster

After I had encephalitis in December 2003, I spent about 18 months battling panic attacks, taking meds to normalize my brain chemistry, etc.

Until you've had them, you sort of think: If I rationally know there's nothing to panic about, I can just man up and get a handle on it. Tell myself to relax and it'll go away.

Nope.

Panic attacks are amazingly, completely debilitating, even when your mind knows perfectly well that you're fine and in the middle of a panic attack. The body just does not listen and it really feels like you're dying.

I have the greatest sympathy for anyone dealing with that sort of thing. I used to have to leave in the middle of a church service and go lie down in a dark room to keep from passing out. There were times at my office that I'd go out to smoke and then literally could not bring myself to go back into the building. I can't imagine what that would be like for a professional athlete asked to perform in front of 40k people on any given day.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
watravaler
High School JV

If he goes back to Florida, he will not have to worry about the 40k watching him suck on the mound. Maybe that is the solution?
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Serves him right - he's given Anxiety Disorder to every fantasy player unfortunate enough to own him for the last 7 years.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:32 AM   #9
Sgran
High School Varsity

This thread got me to thinking back to my own "hitch" in the field. When i was a kid I had a good glove and an average bat. I moved around and played different positions. One summer when i was 14 or 15, I was playing shortstop. A normal ground ball came to me and I fielded it cleanly. I took my hop towards first base but didn't release the ball. I took another hop and lobbed the ball to the first. My throw beat the runner by a tenth of a second (if that). This happened a few times and people kept shouting at me to throw the ball. it was around the time that Macky Sasser was double-clutching his throws back to the mound, so I recognized that the problem had something to do with baseball psychology, but I've never quite figured it out.
Here is a website about Sasser that I will read when I get home from work: The Mackey Sasser Story | Competitive Advantage: Sports Psychology and Mental Toughness