Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

One of those dilemma type threads

Okay.

So, I've learned about myself the year I've been here. I love the teaching aspect of it, love discussing literature and reading texts, etc. But I've also grown more and more disillusioned with the life of a higher-level academic. As I've been working on papers and everything, I've come to realize that I hate the tedious arguments and the research that goes into it. I know myself well enough to admit that despite my intellectual ability (such as it is), I tend not to the best unless I feel motivated and passionate about something and I haven't been feeling that about the work I've been doing.

Enter in an email I received about a job posting that it's in a city I greatly enjoyed when I was there before. It's at a private, college-prep high school and they're looking for someone to teach English, preferably with a master's degree, but it isn't required, nor is a teaching certification. The position also entails being involved with coaching or advising for extracurricular activities.

I'm seriously thinking of applying and/or leaving the master's program after this semester. I'd be teaching and I'd be getting back into coaching again (which I miss terribly), not to mention which, I'm getting tired of being poor all the time.

But then there's this other side of me that says to stick with it, to slog through the last two semesters (it's a 2 year program here) and get the master's degree, then go out job hunting. I'm wondering how much of that is a pride thing, though, telling me I'd have regrets if I left now because maybe it'd feel like I couldn't hack it.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

could you somehow do both? if it's 2 more semesters would those credits transfer? or could you do them over summers the next couple years or something?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
RedKingGold
College Starter

Suck it up and put in the two semesters.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Are your goals something that will eventually need a MA? If so I'd tell you to stick it out, but if not it's a much tougher choice. How's the security in the job? If you think you could be there for years, follow your heart.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
could you somehow do both? if it's 2 more semesters would those credits transfer? or could you do them over summers the next couple years or something?

Not sure on the first. The second isn't very likely, because the department's had major budget cuts. Not enough instructors = very low course offerings, especially on the seminar level.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Finish the masters, dude. The masters will be far more useful to you financially in the long run and if they'd hire you BEFORE you'd get it, they'll hire you after, pay you a bit more and you'll have more options.

You might be tired of being broke now, but get a job, some more bills and a bit of security and you'll quickly find that the money is pretty overrated and the degree will provide you far more more prospects long-term.

It'd be different if this was a game-changing experience that you were considering leaving for, but it's just teaching and you can always do that, especially with a masters.

I don't think it's a contest.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Are your goals something that will eventually need a MA? If so I'd tell you to stick it out, but if not it's a much tougher choice. How's the security in the job? If you think you could be there for years, follow your heart.

Well, my original plan was to teach at the community college level or get my MFA in Creative Writing and teach at the community college or university level (the MFA was my original plan, but all the professors at my undergrad university told me to get the MA first).

But I'd love the ability to be able to both teach and coach and the idea of working at a private college prep high school is very appealing (no interest in teaching at public high schools, though I went to one). Not sure about the job security, but I could definitely see myself in that city for a good number of years.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
Drake
assmaster

Get the MA. There will always be teaching gigs, but as you get older and start accruing wives and kids, the window for focusing on education starts to close. Not that you can't go back for it, but it becomes a much bigger pain in the ass.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:30 PM   #9
Izulde
Head Coach

FWIW, I'm doing a quick survey of universities in the city since transfer credits were brought up. 3 schools in the city offer MA in English programs and 1 offers an MFA in Creative Writing.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #10
Dutch
"Dutch"

If you're asking, sacrifice your time now and finish the masters. Seems like solid upside 2 semesters from now.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #11
SportsDino
College Prospect

Finish the degree unless you are really put off by another two semesters of drudgery.

In my case academia was sucking the soul out of me and I had to leave it, so if you are truly miserable it is not the end of the world if you get out... but best to get it over and done with. Otherwise you will likely be thinking about going back again anyway and probably need to redo junk.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #12
Flasch186
Coordinator

masters

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:36 PM   #13
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

My biggest regret thus far was not completing my degree...I vote for sticking with the masters.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:42 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm seriously thinking of applying

Not sure I see a problem with this part, especially if it's not specifically a job you're likely to go after again down the road.

What's the worst that happens, you end up with a decision to make later if they make an offer? Worry about masters vs job once/if they make you an offer, not before. If I understand the situation correctly, you may be trying to make a decision that doesn't even have to be made.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #15
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Well, my original plan was to teach at the community college level or get my MFA in Creative Writing and teach at the community college or university level (the MFA was my original plan, but all the professors at my undergrad university told me to get the MA first).

But I'd love the ability to be able to both teach and coach and the idea of working at a private college prep high school is very appealing (no interest in teaching at public high schools, though I went to one). Not sure about the job security, but I could definitely see myself in that city for a good number of years.

If teaching, even at a secondary level, is part of your long term goals, finish the MA. If nothing else it's an investment that will earn you more money for the entirety of your teaching career.

Doubting whether grad school is the right place is pretty common. I hated a lot of my MFA program and looked at leaving after a year, but luckily decided against it. Most of my friends have similar stories about grad school. You're ready to be a peer, and the dynamic of still being a student is difficult to deal with. Luckily you're only in a two year program, so you're half way done. Do something fun this summer and knock it out month by month. If you can, get a new professor or two and see if that helps.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:32 PM   #16
Swaggs
Coordinator

Absolutely finish your degree. It is almost always easier and seems more attractive to leave without finishing, but finishing up the degree will open up a lot more doors and increase your income opportunities. Plus, as mentioned, a teaching job will almost always be available to you, but the degree will enable you to begin with a higher starting salary and you will be more likely to retain your job if there are cutbacks.

Suck it up and finish your degree. You will not regret it.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:52 PM   #17
JediKooter
Coordinator

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Oh, and finish the degree.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:30 AM   #18
Icy
Pro Starter

Finish your degree, this advice comes from one that didn't finish his own.

I was in in college when the internet bobble started, decided to leave my computers degree unfinished to start my own internet company. Things have gone well since then and right now i can't see i regret but... i can't avoid to think that will happen if one day i can't live from my company.

Who would hire me? i have tons of experience on internet marketing, but not finished studies after High school, and even when companies value experience highly, 99% of companies won't even read your curriculum if you don't have a degree to start with.

Finish your studies, then search for that dream job but with the security of having that degree as backup.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:32 AM   #19
Dutch
"Dutch"

Of course, there is something to be said about letting life dictate your opportunities and still be working on your degree in your late 30's. (Ugh, no wait, just get it done, Izulde.)
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #20
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Not sure I see a problem with this part, especially if it's not specifically a job you're likely to go after again down the road.

What's the worst that happens, you end up with a decision to make later if they make an offer? Worry about masters vs job once/if they make you an offer, not before. If I understand the situation correctly, you may be trying to make a decision that doesn't even have to be made.

What this guy said... not really a question to me. What's it take, a couple hours to apply? Maybe they aren't even interested at all and you have nothing to be getting worked up about.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #21
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
So, I've learned about myself the year I've been here. I love the teaching aspect of it, love discussing literature and reading texts, etc. But I've also grown more and more disillusioned with the life of a higher-level academic. As I've been working on papers and everything, I've come to realize that I hate the tedious arguments and the research that goes into it. I know myself well enough to admit that despite my intellectual ability (such as it is), I tend not to the best unless I feel motivated and passionate about something and I haven't been feeling that about the work I've been doing.

For what it's worth, I came to the same conclusion while doing my grad degree in History (so, luckily before I got a job in the field). It takes a certain type of person to really love the peculiarities of being a full-time "higher-level" academic and I'm not that person. And to succeed in the field (especially in the non-sciences), you really need to love those peculiarities.

Quote:
Enter in an email I received about a job posting that it's in a city I greatly enjoyed when I was there before. It's at a private, college-prep high school and they're looking for someone to teach English, preferably with a master's degree, but it isn't required, nor is a teaching certification. The position also entails being involved with coaching or advising for extracurricular activities.

DO EET!!! Seriously, though, my brother taught/coached at private high schools prior to Iraq, and just this last year landed a really nice teaching/coaching (English/History/Skiing) post at his alma mater high school in the Northeast. He'll probably be there for the next 40 years, he really loves it, and it's the perfect job for him. I think he did get certification while in Minnesota (just after Iraq), but I'm pretty sure it wasn't required.

To contrast, I have a friend with a Ph.D. in history from Harvard who has been teaching at the University level for a few years, and when I last talked to him, he was a little jealous (in a easy-going manner) of my brother's position. It seems there's just a lot more freedom in that sector (private high schools), you have more control/input over the kids, and you can get involved in a greater variety of things much sooner. And it's not like the pay is uniformly less (pay, as far as I can tell, is all over the place between both scenarios).

Plus, you can continue to research/write/whatever, but there's far less pressure to always be publishing.

So anyway, hope that all helps.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #22
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

dola - I seem to have misunderstood the part about your degree. I thought you were planning on starting, not being closed to finishing. If you have just two semesters left, I'd probably grit it out and finish it. In your chosen professional field an MA will probably be handy to differentiate you from competitors in the future (although some will have Ph.Ds, of course).
Old 03-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #23
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

double-dola - If you can finish your Masters in the new city (or by correspondence) while also working, that would obviously be ideal. Why not apply and then ask if they accept you?
Old 03-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #24
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

I say go for the Masters. It can be used as bait to a much better job in the future. But then again you need to be happy...anyway...my opinion in that you should use the Mastersbait.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #25
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I would just point out that my understanding that teaching at the Community College level is closer to teaching at the HS level than the College level in terms of academic requirements. I am in education and I keep finding reasons to avoid going back and getting a masters, so if you're close I'd say finish it now so you can have more options later.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #26
Klinglerware
College Starter

I was in a somewhat similar position: started up in a PhD program where I quickly became unfocused and realized academia was not for me. I left my program to finally see what the real world was like (since I made the mistake of going to grad school straight from undergrad). I knew that I wasn't going to continue with the PhD, but my MA requirements continued to hang over my head. So, 4 or 5 years later, I decided to go back and finish the MA (and my program took me back), and I'm glad I did.

I agree with pretty much everyone else here--finish your masters. But, my advice differs in that it's okay to take a break from it and finish it later. Request a leave of absence, and if granted, take a year off or so. Chances are, when you go back to your program, you'll have renewed energy and focus to do better work than if you had just slogged through it without a break.

Of course, the danger is that you may not go back because life will get in the way (family, cushy but demanding job, etc). So, you will have to think about whether you will have the necessary discipline to go back when you say you will go back.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #27
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Do what makes you happy.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #28
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Just because a job offers more money doesn't make it better. You have a chance to work in a city you like with the side benefit of being able to coach as well. By all means find ways to get your degree because you'll want that no matter what(employer loyalty isn't what you want it to be), but I really don't see the harm in going for a job that you might end up stumbling into and then find out you work there until you retire.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #29
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I understand your disillusionment. The jump to grad school in a humanities discipline can be jarring. I have been there and done that. I did two semesters in a Master's English program and then took a year leave of absence. It was definitely good to take some time away.

But I did go back, stuck it out and finished it. I then took a year and a half at a non-academic job and realized that I missed the reading, thinking and writing a whole lot more than I ever thought I would. So I went back to school and finished a PhD in a field that was different than my undergrad and Masters. But the Masters degree opened doors for me that would never have been open had I not finished it.

Whether you take a semester or two off or keep on going, it's typically a good thing to finish what you start.

Last edited by Ajaxab : 03-30-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:18 PM   #30
Autumn
Head Coach

I'm going to go against the tide here and suggest you may want to take the job. Sometimes people get too stuck on Their Plan and don't take advantage of the things life throws at them. I can't say, certainly, but if this job feels like something great, a fit for you and excites you, give it a good luck. Certainly make sure it's practical, etc., but maybe this will take you in a slightly different direction than you thought you were going and that can be great.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #31
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I'm going to go against the tide here and suggest you may want to take the job. Sometimes people get too stuck on Their Plan and don't take advantage of the things life throws at them. I can't say, certainly, but if this job feels like something great, a fit for you and excites you, give it a good luck. Certainly make sure it's practical, etc., but maybe this will take you in a slightly different direction than you thought you were going and that can be great.

I agree with this. Take my opinion for what it is though, an opinion from me. I have gone with my gut, and my happiness my whole life. Moved to Texas at 19 for my future wife. Drove a truck for 9 years because I loved it. Took a risk on a job from an FOFC guy that didn't work out, but I don't regret it. Got off the truck not knowing what would happen and it has worked out in the sense that life overall is better. If it's something you would enjoy then I would go for it.

I agree with others to actually look into the job more before even deciding though.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #32
RainMaker
General Manager

I say finish the Masters. While you may enjoy the new job in the short term, long term you'll regret it. There will come a day when you'll wish you had that Masters.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #33
StLee
High School Varsity

As one professor said to me, "They can never take away your degree once you have it." I trudged through my graduate work, actually delaying my graduation once I was at the thesis portion of my graduate work (in other words, finished with classes). However, finally I got the damned thing done and graduated.

As someone pointed out earlier, teaching jobs are ALWAYS there. They may not always be prime jobs, but if you're going to teach, there will be multiple jobs open for you.

Just food for thought. Everyone I know struggled through graduate school in many of the same ways you describe. I think it's the nature of the experience.
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #34
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I would strongly suggest that you stick it out and finish the MA. If you back out now, it would be that much harder to motivate yourself to finish it should you regret the decision down the road.

I know someone in the school district I work at that's stuck in an aide's spot. He's been told by several people, including the principal at the school, that he should finish his degree and get his teaching license. He had little motivation while in college and now he has zero. He's stuck with 70 hours and going nowhere fast.

Stick it out...even if you change later, you'll have more doors open for you down the road.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:22 PM   #35
tarcone
Coordinator

Being an educator with a Masters, Here is my opinion. I say apply for the job. You have found several colleges that will accept your credits. Why do you have to graduate from the the same University you started at?
I think you will regret not going for the job. It sounds like you want to teach at a college prep level AND coach. Well, the opportunity just landed in your lap.

A masters can always be gotten and in short order. A great teaching job may never come your way again (If this is a great teaching job).

I got my Masters when I had a wife and kid and was coaching 2 sports. It is possible.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:27 PM   #36
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Just because a job offers more money doesn't make it better. You have a chance to work in a city you like with the side benefit of being able to coach as well. By all means find ways to get your degree because you'll want that no matter what(employer loyalty isn't what you want it to be), but I really don't see the harm in going for a job that you might end up stumbling into and then find out you work there until you retire.

+1

Misery now could be all the misery you ever get to experience. The stray bus or unexpected tragic illness could strike next week. Why waste any time being miserable?

Frankly, this thread reminds me of "should I stay in my horrible marriage for the kids/financial security?" threads...NO.

Apply for the job. If offered, find out if you can complete your degree in the new city, or remotely, or leave of absence. Then decide, but weigh heavily the opportunity to try something you might REALLY LIKE and never need that masters to do.

I never polished off anything beyond my bachelors in my "field" (biochemistry) and have since developed a fine career in environmental public service. I make terrific money and do something rewarding. My employer is paying for an MBA so I can move up the management chain with even more credibility than my work performance already allows.
TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote