Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-04-2003, 11:31 PM   #1
JeeberD
General Manager

Now I love Nutella even more!

Nutella won't renew its endorsement deal with Bryant

By Darren Rovell
ESPN.com

One company endorsed by maligned Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant will not be renewing his contract, but company officials say the decision was made before Bryant was charged with sexual assault in July.

Ferrero U.S.A. signed a two-year contract with Bryant to endorse its hazelnut spread brand Nutella in January 2001. Although Ferrero signed Bryant to a one-year extension in January 2003, the company said in a statement released Monday that "marketing plans established earlier this year did not contemplate a contract renewal."

"In keeping with this decision, and considering the recent developments, Kobe's image on Nutella labels and promotional material is being phased out," the statement said.

Although a promotion for a Kobe bobblehead doll was still on Nutella's Web site as of Monday morning, the company did take the phrase, "Kobe Bryant's favorite spread" off the site in recent weeks.

So far, officials with other companies and brands that Bryant endorses, including Sprite, McDonald's, Nike and Spalding, have maintained that their contracts with Bryant are still valid. Nike's Web site still says that Bryant's first signature shoe is being released on Feb. 7, 2004. Nike recently signed a five-year deal with Bryant worth at least $40 million.

Most endorsement contracts include morality clauses that would allow the company to terminate an athlete if he or she causes damage to the brand through immoral acts or is convicted of a crime.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mmmmmm, Nutella is the best. And the past couple of years I had to put up with a picture of Kobe on the label. Not no more, though. Thank god...

Hmmm, maybe they can get Stevie Franchise to endorse them!!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 08-04-2003 at 11:32 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 01:40 AM   #2
mckerney
Coordinator

I heard this reported on the local news and what they said is, "The sexual assault charge against Kobe Bryant is starting to cost him..."

Uh, starting? So he doesn't have to pay his lawyer? And that $4 million I'm-sorry-present of a ring didn't cost him anything? I'm sure he's really hurting after losing a $500,000 a year endorsement deal. Sometimes I wonder how the people that write that shit get jobs at all. Same goes for the sportswritters who actually think that the Vikings ran out of time on the clock 2 years in a row on their first round pick in the draft.

Last edited by mckerney : 08-05-2003 at 02:16 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 02:04 AM   #3
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
I heard this reported on the local news and what they said is, "The sexual assault charge against Kobe Bryant is starting to cost him..."

Uh, starting? So he doesn't have to pay his lawyer? And that $4 million I'm-sorry-present of a ring didn't cost him anything? Sometimes I wonder how the people that write that shit get jobs at all. Same goes for the sportswritters who actually think that the Vikings ran out of time on the clock 2 years in a row on their first round pick in the draft.

Yeah, I'm sure that wasn't for the sole purpose of having the #7 and wanting to pay a #9 talent #9 slotted cash.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-05-2003 at 02:05 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 02:17 AM   #4
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
Yeah, I'm sure that wasn't for the sole purpose of having the #7 and wanting to pay a #9 talent #9 slotted cash.

SI

Well, whether the reason was Baltimore not getting the trade in in time or to save money, that doesn't change the fact that Dallas was the team that ran out of time in 2002.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 02:50 AM   #5
Daimyo
College Starter

Apparently this is going to cost him $100M (over the rest of his life I assume), so it wouldn't be incorrect to say its just now starting to hurt him...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:19 AM   #6
Bee
Pro Starter

Nutella tastes great.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 07:19 AM   #7
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Finally, there will be a little elbow room in the Nutella aisle of my local grocery.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:25 AM   #8
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
from http://www.nutellausa.com/faqs.htm

Tell me about the ingredients found in Nutella.

"In every 13 oz. jar of Nutella there are over 50 hazelnuts, 1 1/2 cups of skim milk, just enough Rohypnol, and a touch of cocoa that gives Nutella its smooth, creamy, chocolaty taste."
Old 08-05-2003, 08:12 AM   #9
QuikSand
lolzcat

Here it is - the perfect side-by-side. Personally, I'll take the 8:19 AM funny Fritz - I thought that one was perfect. Quick, incisive, and actually hits two targets at once. Good show!
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 09:28 AM   #10
Radii
Head Coach

I haven't read this thread but I would just like to say that nutella is one of the most wonderful creations by mankind ever. If I wasn't on the Atkins diet, after having read this thread, I would go get some bread and nutella and eat nutella sandwiches til I puked, and I would be happy.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 10:14 AM   #11
Samdari
Roster Filler

If you puke out all the carbs, aren't you still safe?
Old 08-05-2003, 10:21 AM   #12
Radii
Head Coach

oh shit good point. AFK NUTELLA.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 11:04 AM   #13
JeeberD
General Manager

Nutella and peanut butter sandwiches are one of the things that make life great...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote