Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-14-2006, 04:11 PM   #1
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Swing Music/Dance Fans at FOFC?

I haven't been out dancing in sometime, but my Girlfriend and I are heading out tonight to check out a local Chicago band and enjoy some good music. I'm up in the Chicago area now, and we are heading to a cool little spot called Frankie's Blue Room in Naperville. Anyone Chicago area FOFC'ers know of this place? Looks very cool.

As for Swing Music, any Squirrel Nut Zipper, BB Voodoo Daddy, or Love Jones fans out there?

MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Love Jones rules!!!! The rest are okay.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:22 PM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight
As for Swing Music, any Squirrel Nut Zipper, BB Voodoo Daddy, or Love Jones fans out there?

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy is one of my favorite bands. I love their music, but haven't really gotten around to checking out other big band/swing groups.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Hey Pass, I've seen Love Jones live a couple of times, most recently in Louisville at a pre-Derby event last year.. It was held in a old airplane hanger at a small private airport in Louisville, and was very cool. They really don't do much together any more as everyone in the group has pretty much moved on to normal 9 to 5 life it seems... Too damn bad for sure.

I see that you are in Chicago, ever heard of Frankie's Blue Room? Apparently it has been around forever in downtown Naperville and is a good atmosphere for live music, with excellent acoustics. They have a swing night every Wednesday, pretty cool.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:50 PM   #5
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Yeah, geez, I kind of figured they weren't even around any more. I have a couple of their albums, which I really love -- Here's to the Losers and Powerful Pain Relief -- do they even have any more? Seeing them live must have been awesome!

No, I've never heard of Frankie's Blue Room, but I've only been to Naperville once since I moved to Chicago. Sounds cool. I can't imagine the words 'been around forever' and 'Naperville' in the same sentence, though.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

I haven't been checking in at this wonderful place we call FOFC too much in the past few months...

Anyway, speaking of this thread, just wanted to throw an FYI out there that if anyone is or will be near Louisville, Love Jones is performing Thursday, May 3rd at the Phoenix Hill Tavern on Baxter Avenue at 8:00pm sharp. Phoenix Hill is quite possibly the coolest spot in Louisville to check out live music.

Based on the past few years as well as this one, it seems that Love Jones will only be doing one show this year. Going forward I only see them getting together for a pre-Derby Show/Get-Together like this one during the week leading up to the Kentucky Derby, and that's it. So if you want to see them, this is the shot.

FYI: The most famous thing Love Jones is known for is a song by the name of Paid For Loving that was a part of the soundtrack for the movie Swingers.

If you want any more info, their web address is http://www.lovejones.net

I sound like a damn advertisement. But I love these guys, what can I say.

Last edited by MylesKnight : 04-24-2007 at 02:06 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Checking the site now. I have a huge exam on the 16th, so no way can I make a trek out to Loo-uh-ville for this. Hopefully they have other dates.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:18 PM   #8
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The only semi-swing music I have liked enough to buy a CD of is Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire. Bird helped out SNZ on some of their stuff, and The Swimming Hour is quite possibly one of my favorites from the past 5-10 years. But after that, he kinda mellowed out and got into singer/songwriter stuff, and while I still like him, nothing comes close to his Bowl of Fire stuff. He's from Chicago, too.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-24-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:31 PM   #9
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Passacaglia, you've got an exam on the 16th? The show is on Thursday, May 3rd. I'm getting tickets online, as last year's show at Phoenix Hill sold out about a week beforehand.

KSyrup, I will check out Bowl of Fire. Thanks for the head's up. By the way, have you made it out to Keeneland for a day at the April Meet yet? That place is by far the nicest racing facility I've ever been to, although I hear Delmar out in SoCal is beautiful as well.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #10
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Well, it's a big exam. Although, bummer, looks like they don't mention any other gigs on the site. They have a bunch of CDs, but they all seem like they'd be pretty hard to find.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #11
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yep, we went on Sunday. The weather has been tremendously crappy here, up until the last week. The first weekend it SNOWED and was cold as hell, the next weekend for the Commonwealth Breeders' Cup race, it rained all day Saturday and wasn't much better on Sunday. The only time we had decent weather the first two weeks was on Monday and Tuesday, and there's no racing those days.

Finally we got great weather starting last week, and we went out on Sunday. We got there for the 5th race and was able to squeeze down to the rail right at the finish line. The girls loved it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #12
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I have both (or are there more than 2 ?) the BBVD albums, and will pop them in every so often to listen to them again...but never got into any of the others.

I was a band geek, and while in college a group of us played around campus a few times when that was the cool thing.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:43 PM   #13
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I wish I knew how. I've taken lessons, but I've never done it consistently enough to get good at it. Someday, I suppose...
Old 08-14-2008, 03:18 AM   #14
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

A blast from the past thread...

Anyway, for anyone who may give a darn at FOFC, Love Jones is performing live on Saturday, September 13th at the Louisville (Ky) Highlands Festival.

Also, a new album is scheduled for release during that same month. Very cool.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:19 AM   #15
Mrs. Schmidty
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
I haven't been out dancing in sometime, but my Girlfriend and I are heading out tonight to check out a local Chicago band and enjoy some good music. I'm up in the Chicago area now, and we are heading to a cool little spot called Frankie's Blue Room in Naperville. Anyone Chicago area FOFC'ers know of this place? Looks very cool.

Man, I haven't heard them in awhile, but they're both so fun to listen too. I was learning how to swing dance several years ago - hell of a work out and a ton of fun!
Mrs. Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #16
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
A blast from the past thread...

Anyway, for anyone who may give a darn at FOFC, Love Jones is performing live on Saturday, September 13th at the Louisville (Ky) Highlands Festival.

Also, a new album is scheduled for release during that same month. Very cool.

Any word on this? Dancing in the Shallow End and Vigilante have both come up on my ipod today, and if there's new stuff, I want it!!