Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Computer Question

As many know, I lost my desktop unit about a month and a half ago. It looks like I should have some cash to get back up and running, but I have looked around and am completely out of the loop regarding systems now. Can any one provide suggestions for what I should get?

I have the monitor, keyboard, HDs, CD/DVD players, power supply, etc.. What I am looking for is a case, CPU, memory, and mobo. If my budget is $400, what should I go with?

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
weegeebored
High School Varsity

What's the wattage of the power supply? And, does your budget account for a video card? If not, what type of slot does your existing one fit in (PCIe or AGP)?
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Budget of $400, go with:

TR's February 2009 system guide - The Tech Report - Page 2

Buy the parts you need.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
Warhammer
Pro Starter

With the new processors now days, is it necessary to put a cooling fan directly on the CPU?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
weegeebored
High School Varsity

YES!!! While motherboards (BIOSes) have the ability to shut down the CPU before it burns up, you won't get much use out of your computer if you can't boot it.

That said, the stock HSF will be fine unless you are going to overclock your machine. In that case, you would need a better HSF or some kind of exotic cooling.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
As many know, I lost my desktop unit about a month and a half ago. It looks like I should have some cash to get back up and running, but I have looked around and am completely out of the loop regarding systems now. Can any one provide suggestions for what I should get?

I have the monitor, keyboard, HDs, CD/DVD players, power supply, etc.. What I am looking for is a case, CPU, memory, and mobo. If my budget is $400, what should I go with?

How do you have the PS but not the case? I know the PS is easily removed, but usually these will be sold together. Is something wrong with the case this CPU came out of?

The reason I ask is that you have a very limited budget. If I were you, I'd want to throw everything into mobo, CPU, memory and video. You would probably be able to find a fairly cheap case online, but shipping on those case be pretty expensive.