Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-24-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
My nominee for toughest man alive

He survived BOTH atomic bomb explosions in Japan!

The Associated Press: Japanese man certified as double A-bomb victim

Quote:
Japanese man certified as double A-bomb victim

TOKYO (AP) — A 93-year-old Japanese man has become the first person certified as a survivor of both U.S. atomic bombings at the end of World War II, officials said Tuesday.

Tsutomu Yamaguchi had already been a certified "hibakusha," or radiation survivor, of the Aug. 9, 1945, atomic bombing in Nagasaki, but has now been confirmed as surviving the attack on Hiroshima three days earlier as well, city officials said.

Yamaguchi was in Hiroshima on a business trip on Aug. 6, 1945, when a U.S. B-29 dropped an atomic bomb on the city. He suffered serious burns to his upper body and spent the night in the city. He then returned to his hometown of Nagasaki just in time for the second attack, city officials said.

"As far as we know, he is the first one to be officially recognized as a survivor of atomic bombings in both Hiroshima and Nagasaki," Nagasaki city official Toshiro Miyamoto said. "It's such an unfortunate case, but it is possible that there are more people like him."

Certification qualifies survivors for government compensation — including monthly allowances, free medical checkups and funeral costs — but Yamaguchi's compensation will not increase, Miyamoto said.

Japan is the only country to have suffered atomic bomb attacks. About 140,000 people were killed in Hiroshima and 70,000 in Nagasaki.

Yamaguchi is one of about 260,000 people who survived the attacks. Bombing survivors have developed various illnesses from radiation exposure, including cancer and liver illnesses.

Details of Yamaguchi's health problems were not released.

Thousands survivors continue to seek official recognition after the government rejected their eligibility for compensation. The government last year eased the requirements for being certified as a survivor, following criticism the rules were too strict and neglected many who had developed illnesses that doctors have linked to radiation.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
JediKooter
Coordinator

He would be the toughest, luckiest and unluckiest person alive.

I can just imagine the "WTF??" moment upon his arrival in Nagasaki though.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 03-24-2009 at 03:12 PM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
SackAttack
Head Coach

Maybe he was the leader of the resistance movement the military feared if they had to invade the islands, and they chose the cities because he was in them.

Okay, no, probably not, but there's a Hollywood action movie in there somewhere.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Okay, no, probably not, but there's a Hollywood action movie in there somewhere.

Groundhog Day?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

Phil: "I've been stabbed, shot, poisoned, frozen, hung, electrocuted, burned, and nuked. Twice."

Rita: "Oh, really?"

Phil: "...and every morning I wake up without a scratch on me. I am an immortal. I'm a god. I'm not THE God...I don't think."
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote