Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-04-2003, 09:16 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

They hid freakin' airplanes!!!

Hmmmmm......

Our weapons inspectors apparently now, four months after they've started searching, have just discovered 30 jet fighters buried in the sand in Iraq.

If 30 airplanes evaded our sight for this long, it makes it easier and easier for me to fathom the difficulty of finding a swimming pool's worth of WMD.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-04-2003 at 09:17 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 09:20 AM   #2
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

That's a helluva lot of sand.

Why have I always had the feeling that the inspectors will never find anything....
Old 08-04-2003, 09:22 AM   #3
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by MylesKnight
That's a helluva lot of sand.

Why have I always had the feeling that the inspectors will never find anything....
I guess that's why they put the burden of proof on Saddam in the UN Resolutions. I had no idea what a difficult task this was....
Old 08-04-2003, 09:27 AM   #4
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Skydog: The swimming pool analogy is a bit misleading. The bioweapons at least would have to be stored in a very controlled environment with supervision and maintenence to retain viability. Anthrax is easier to store, but botulinum and small pox is difficult to maintain for long periods. You can't just stick this into the sand and expect it to still be usable.

As to whether we'll find weapons, I sure hope so. If we don't the two most likely reasons are that there weren't any by the time we attacked or they have been dispersed to terrorists around the globe. Either way is really, really bad.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:40 AM   #5
Celeval
Pro Starter

link?
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 09:41 AM   #6
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Celeval
link?
Just heard it on the radio. Haven't done an internet search yet....
Old 08-04-2003, 09:52 AM   #7
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

JPhillips,

From what I understand, the jets weren't covered to protect them from the elements. They were just buried in the sand. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the same thing happened to the WMD. Cover 'em up and forget about 'em. That's apparently what they did with the Iraqi Air Force.

Here's the link: http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-04-2003 at 09:53 AM.
CamEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:07 AM   #8
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Well I'm still dubious that we will ever find anything. It even seems that the admin has pretty much given this line up. Wolfie just recently said he wasn't concerned about WMD in Iraq. It also seems that all of the people who might have known have been telling us that there are no WMD.

Of course I don't believe this was about an immnent weapons threat to begin with. This policy was being planned by the neocons before Bush was elected. Rumsfeld urged Clinton to attack in the late nineties. Even if you discount that, multiple sources have said the admin was discusing an Iraq attack shortly after 9/11. But the biggest reason I don't buy the WMD line is the way we let nuke sites go unprotected and how few people we assigned to searching for WMD.

This was about remaking the mid-east. I generally think there's some merit to this argument, and eventually we were going to have to deal with Saddam. Regardless, though, I can't accept going to war without telling the American public the real reasons. This war may have been justified, but we can never accept the precedent that has been set.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:17 PM   #9
Frozenrope
Mascot

I can picture Bugs Bunny running through the sand, looking for WMD!!

"Yippee, horray! Weapons, Nerve Gas, Horray!! (ater 4 months)yippee..pant..pant..horray.. Man, dig this craaaazzy beach. Must be low tide."
Old 08-04-2003, 12:27 PM   #10
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This is the Iraqi air force we're talking about, right? Burying the planes in the sand probably increased their effectiveness ten-fold, AND added to future oil production.

thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 12:48 PM   #11
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Iraqi Air Force, the one taught by the French and Russians.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 02:47 PM   #12
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Ummm.....this may be a stupid question, but who gets the planes? Do we sell the 30 planes for some cash to pay for the war? Or for food and clothing for the Iraqi people? Does Iraq get to keep their planes? Would we sell them to Nigeria? Give them to an ally that needs them? Use them ourselves in the Montana National Reserves?

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 03:29 PM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

A while back, they had been scrapping every tank, etc, they ran across. Kindof a waste of money, if you ask me but I guess it costs more to ship those than you can get in a sale.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 03:33 PM   #14
JohnnyBenson
n00b

Strange, I would think that can't be good for the Jets....

hmmmmm
#10 Valvoline Pontiac

Driver of #10 Valvoline FOF car

Owner of Money Motorsports
JohnnyBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 06:34 PM   #15
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyBenson
Strange, I would think that can't be good for the Jets....

hmmmmm

Cross my Broken Heart? La La Means I love You? Borther and Sister "Boy Band" from Tonga? Made it big in the 80's with singing and choreography? VH-1 Behind the Music Jets? These Jets?

Yeah, having live Jets would probably be good for them. They've been bad on the concert circuit lately - Ohio State Fair, Winter Olympics, etc. Might raise their profile and help them book better venues.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 08:10 PM   #16
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

From what I've seen they've been picked clean by looters. On NBC they showed a couple of Iraqis trucking away an external fuel tank. I'd love to see what they do with that!