Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2003, 10:55 AM   #1
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Live's new CD: Birds of Prey

I was surprised to see this CD in the store this past weekend. I follow the band via their website, and was not even aware it was out until I stumbled upon it.

I have barely had a chance to listen to it yet, just the first few songs.

I know there are a few Live fans around here. Any early reviews on it? Their website has 3 tour dates listed. Any news of them touring full scale this year?

Thanks.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 11:23 AM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I've had it since it was released about a month ago. Easily their best CD, even better than Throwing Copper. Not one weak song, IMO.

They performed Heaven before the MLB All-Star Softballgame. ESPN was nice enough to show about a minute of it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 11:48 AM   #3
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
I've had it since it was released about a month ago. Easily their best CD, even better than Throwing Copper. Not one weak song, IMO.

This one sentence is screaming at me to go get that CD. The wife and I have been big fans of Live since Throwing Copper. Didn't really get into the last one (Five or something like that) but really liked Throwing Copper and Distance to Here.

Another one to add to the wife's birthday gift (July 22nd)...

FM
Old 07-21-2003, 11:58 AM   #4
Easy Mac

I just bought this CD for my girlfriend yesterday. She said she loves it.

And don't get it at Best Buy. They were selling it for $18 the last I saw. You can get it at Target for like $13.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 12:06 PM   #5
Ksyrup

Honestly, all of the songs have that "anthemic" quality to them. The lyrics are great, the music is great, the vocals are great. I haven't been all that much of a fan since Secret Samadhi - and they seem to have dropped off the radar screen since then - but this album captures the feel of Throwing Copper, and the bonus is, since musical times have changed, it probably won't get overplayed into oblivion.

On the downside, some reactions to it have been that it is too "anthemic" and recalls Creed in that respect, especially those several moments in which he refers to his daughter in an "Arms Wide Open" manner. Having a 3 year old daughter, though, just made those moments all the more poignant for me. It is probably the most serious album they've made since the first one.

I have nothing bad to say about the album, aside from a bit of criticism of the anti-war song at the end. Given the timing of the song, it's obvious that it was written in response to the Iraq war. The line, "the Crucifix ain't no baseball bat, tell me what kind of God is that?" sounds snappy and all, except I find it a bit difficult to stomach, when it was the Iraqis (and before them, the terrorists) who were using religion as a pretext for their actions, not us. This wasn't a "Christian" war in anyone's minds except the Muslims - and, apparently, Ed Kowalczyk. That criticism rings a bit hollow. Sounds more like a great line that got in the way of making a sensible argument.

Otherwise, it's well worth the purchase - and the DVD that comes with it is pretty cool as well.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-21-2003 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:07 PM   #6
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
And don't get it at Best Buy. They were selling it for $18 the last I saw. You can get it at Target for like $13.

BB had it the week of release for like $11 (DVD included), but since then, the price has been jacked up. I agree, shop elsewhere.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:12 PM   #7
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Honestly, all of the songs have that "anthemic" quality to them. The lyrics are great, the music is great, the vocals are great. I haven't been all that much of a fan since Secret Samadhi - and they seem to have dropped off the radar screen since then - but this album captures the feel of Throwing Copper, and the bonus is, since musical times have changed, it probably won't get overplayed into oblivion.

On the downside, some reactions to it have been that it is too "anthemic" and recalls Creed in that respect, especially those several moments in which he refers to his daughter in an "Arms Wide Open" manner. Having a 3 year old daughter, though, just made those moments all the more poignant for me. It is probably the most serious album they've made since the first one.

I have nothing bad to say about the album, aside from a bit of criticism of the anti-war song at the end. Given the timing of the song, it's obvious that it was written in response to the Iraq war. The line, "the Crucifix ain't no baseball bat, tell me what kind of God is that?" sounds snappy and all, except I find it a bit difficult to stomach, when it was the Iraqis (and before them, the terrorists) who were using religion as a pretext for their actions, not us. This wasn't a "Christian" war in anyone's minds except the Muslims - and, apparently, Ed Kowalczyk. That criticism rings a bit hollow. Sounds more like a great line that got in the way of making a sensible argument.

Otherwise, it's well worth the purchase - and the DVD that comes with it is pretty cool as well.

Thanks for that more complete review. Now I'll really go get it.

FM
Old 07-21-2003, 12:27 PM   #8
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Excellent reviews. I am sure to like it no matter what. I pretty much like every song on all of their albums. In fact, I would probably rate 'V' as their second or third best overall.

Throwing Copper is by far the best.

Secret Samahdi has some real kick-ass songs, but a few barely passable ones.

V is solid from start to finish.

The Distance to Here was an average effort from them, although the last song on that CD, Dance With You, was my wedding song.

Mental Jewelry was before I started listening to them, and while I have it and think it is pretty decent, I barely listen to it.

Throwing Copper is one of those CD's that I have had to replace from wear and tear, not once, but twice, and I doubt any song on that CD will ever, ever get old.

Edited to add:

while I like all of their music, I feel they are at their best when they are playing some more 'kick-ass' type music (That is my wife's term, go figure). Songs like Lakini's Juice, White, Discussion, Shit Towne, and Freaks (among many others) have always been my favorite tunes by them.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 07-21-2003 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:43 PM   #9
Ksyrup

The new album has some fairly heavy songs. The chorus of Like I Do, which is probably one of my 3 favorite songs on this album, is really aggressive (a nice contrast to the verses), and Bring the People Together should have closed the album - it's fast, heavy, and would have been a nice, energetic ending to the album.

I still love Mental Jewelry - that was my first introduction to the band, and I like the acoustic-based songs. I've always liked Kowalczyk's lyrics, beginning with MJ, and this album I think is some of his best work. As I read somewhere, Live is probably best described as the conscience of post-grunge rock.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:34 PM   #10
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Live is coming to Quebec City on August 26, at the Agora, an outdoor place in the Old Quebec. Tickets went on sale this morning and I got two tickets for me and the wife, 8th row from the stage, almost in the middle. Should be pretty cool. Will be the second time we'll see them. Last time was during the tour for Distance to Here.

Now gotta go get that new CD, I'm psyched

FM
Old 08-01-2003, 08:01 PM   #11
Radii
Head Coach

Wow, glad I noticed this, I LOVED Mental Jewelry and Throwing Copper and haven't really liked the stuff they've done sense nearly as much, but I think it's time to give Live another try.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 08:40 PM   #12
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

After listening to the new CD about 50 times already, it is top notch!

Old 08-01-2003, 08:44 PM   #13
Ksyrup

Glad to hear it. After re-reading my comments, I was afraid I hyped it too much and people might be let down when they heard it. But I keep listening to over and over, which is a sign that it's really stuck with me and is a solid album.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:58 AM   #14
Hurst2112
College Starter

This is a picture of me (left) a couple of my bosses and the lead singer of live. He was at our studio for a day. He is a really nice guy.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 08:26 AM   #15
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Great picture Hurst!