Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

3rd annual 'NHL moves to KC' thread.........

Another year.......another NHL team threatening to leave and move into the brand new Sprint Center. The owner in question here even used the subtle tactic of scheduling a preseason game in KC in September 2009 and openly admits that he scheduled the game in KC to further pressure Long Island officials.....

Islanders have escape clause in coliseum lease - Kansas City Star

Quote:
Islanders have escape clause in coliseum lease
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

The New York Islanders apparently have an escape clause in their lease at the Nassau Coliseum.

That could be good news for Kansas City if the Islanders decide to leave Long Island, their home since 1972 and site of the third-oldest arena in the NHL.

Though the Islanders’ lease runs through 2015, team owner Charles Wang told the Long Island newspaper Newsday that an agreement he made with the county in 2007 to renovate the arena and develop the area around it includes language that gives the team an out.

Once the county executive submits a lease for the 150 acres of county-owned property, the legislature has 120 days to approve it. If it doesn’t, the team can leave.

“I’m not contemplating it,” Wang said of moving the franchise. “I’m not negotiating with anyone, but I continue to keep my options open.”

The Islanders have scheduled a preseason game against the Los Angeles Kings in September at the Sprint Center, a subtle hint at getting Nassau County to take action on a $3 billion project that would include a new or renovated arena.

“I don’t think it was that subtle,” Wang told reporters in his first public comments since the preseason game was announced.

Wang made his comments before a Hempstead Town board meeting. Wang, who bought the once-storied franchise in 2000, has become frustrated because he has yet to receive approval from Nassau County and other municipalities for his proposed Lighthouse Project that includes a new or renovated arena as well as a luxury hotel, conference center, sports training center, housing units, retail stores and restaurants, a minor-league baseball field and acres of underground parking.

Nassau County loses between $1 million and $2 million a year on the upkeep of the Coliseum, and Wang loses about $20 million a year operating the Islanders.

“Ultimately, if you don’t want to go to an (Islanders) game because the arena is a dump, I lose, the county loses, everybody loses,” Wang said. “I want this thing to proceed. We can talk and talk, but we’ve got to get off our butts. Let’s get it done.

“It’s a Long Island team. They belong where they are.”

The antiquated Nassau Coliseum seats just 16,234. The Islanders, who play in a market that includes the New York Rangers and New Jersey Devils, ranked last in attendance in the 30-team NHL last season, averaging 13,640. They are last again this season, averaging 13,574, or 83.3 percent of capacity, through 29 dates.

The Sprint Center, opened in 2007, seats 17,297 for hockey, including 72 revenue-producing suites.

Kansas City has flirted with other NHL teams since opening the Sprint Center in October 2008. The Pittsburgh Penguins considered Kansas City as an alternative before securing approval for a new arena scheduled to open in 2010. And Kansas City was in play for the Nashville Predators in 2007 before that club found local ownership, though there is still some question about the franchise’s future.

“When Pittsburgh got their arena approved, it was a different economic time,” said Paul McGannon, president of NHL21, a grassroots group dedicated to bringing an NHL team to Kansas City.

“That’s the big change I see. We’re teed up here and ready to go.”

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I'd much rather see Phoenix move...heck there are reports that they cant pay their payroll and are losing upwards of $45 million this year alone.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm never in favor of a team moving but I recognize that the Islanders are in a terrible situation and Phoenix isn't far behind. I think that the Islanders will move to Kansas City in a few years.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I'm never in favor of a team moving but I recognize that the Islanders are in a terrible situation and Phoenix isn't far behind. I think that the Islanders will move to Kansas City in a few years.

How interesting would it be to see the team that began in Kansas City end up returning to Kansas City after 30+ years away?
Old 02-26-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
How interesting would it be to see the team that began in Kansas City end up returning to Kansas City after 30+ years away?

That's the Devils, dude. And they're not moving back.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Dola

Phoenix was the worst idea ever. That team needs to be put out of its misery. Too bad that arena they play in would be screwed if they left...so I know that's why they stay. But someone needs to take that sucker out back...
Old 02-26-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
cuervo72
Head Coach

*snicker*
Old 02-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
cuervo72
Head Coach

Sorry, was snickering at the "that's the Devils, dude" comment.

Even though I don't pay much attention to hockey anymore, I would like to get hockey out of San Jose, Phoenix, Tampa, "Florida", Nashville, Atlanta. Dallas can begrudgingly stay, I guess.

Put hockey back in Winnipeg, Hartford, and heck add another Canadian city even.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

Even though I don't pay much attention to hockey anymore, I would like to get hockey out of San Jose, Phoenix, Tampa, "Florida", Nashville, Atlanta. Dallas can begrudgingly stay, I guess.

I'm fine with Tampa and San Jose. They've proven themselves to be good markets for the game. Dallas is fine too. But the rest? Good riddance.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-26-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #10
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Dola

Phoenix was the worst idea ever. That team needs to be put out of its misery. Too bad that arena they play in would be screwed if they left...so I know that's why they stay. But someone needs to take that sucker out back...

I agree completely. There are so many other cities that would thrive with a team like that; it almost isn't fair. I'd love to see a few more teams in Canada.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:20 AM   #11
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
That's the Devils, dude. And they're not moving back.

Crap. That'll teach me to use my memory instead of Wikipedia.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Crap. That'll teach me to use my memory instead of Wikipedia.

Well you don't need wiki when you're a fan of the team. But it has been a long time and they went to Colorado after they left KC, then to Jersey.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #13
boberot
High School Varsity

Quote:

I agree. I think hockey in the desert is ridiculous. I'd love to see it back in those cities you mentioned, as well as Quebec, or some place like Salt Lake or Portland.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:24 AM   #14
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

Hartford and Winnipeg would both welcome NHL franchises back to their cities. I honestly believe that teams would be successful in both cities now. I realize it probably won't happen but it should.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:26 AM   #15
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Well you don't need wiki when you're a fan of the team. But it has been a long time and they went to Colorado after they left KC, then to Jersey.

Yeah, I knew they went to Colorado. My problem is that I was 2 years old when they left KC, so I don't have much of a connection or even remember them leaving.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:37 AM   #16
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh right! I forgot that the other Canadian team could be in Quebec!

Get rid of the current seeding structure. Go back to the first two rounds of the playoffs being in-division. You could guarantee good series because the teams knew and HATED each other.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #17
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Hartford and Winnipeg would both welcome NHL franchises back to their cities. I honestly believe that teams would be successful in both cities now. I realize it probably won't happen but it should.

I live in Winnipeg and would love a team, but I'm not sure I believe it would succeed. It would be a glorious success for about 2-3 years... and then I just don't know. Ticket prices for NHL games are insane, and we are cheap, cheap people. We also don't have many large businesses that could provide corporate support, and the most likely one a couple years ago (CanWest Global Media) is currently hurting in a bad, bad way.

A team here can work if it is affordable, which may become a reality as the recession hits and drives the NHL to make some major changes in its operating model (ie. lower salaries and lower ticket prices). But if an NHL team was operating in Winnipeg today, with the same payroll the Coyotes have, I just don't know if it would be a whole lot more sustainable than any of the other bubble locations.

That said, fuck you Phoenix, give us our team back, you've raped it's legacy (such as it was) quite nicely, thanks.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #18
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like the Islanders' owner is trying to push some buttons to get things done........

Islanders owner gets more serious in threat to move or sell NHL team - Kansas City Star

Quote:
Islanders owner gets more serious in threat to move or sell NHL team
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

New York Islanders owner Charles Wang is getting serious about moving his franchise. And that can be good news for Kansas City in its attempts to land an NHL team.

Wang has let it be known that if he doesn’t get approval for a $3 billion project on Long Island that would include a renovated Nassau Coliseum, he will move or sell the franchise.

As part of a 6,000-page draft environmental impact statement the developers of the Lighthouse Project delivered to the Town of Hempstead on Feb. 24, is this statement, as reported by Newsday:

“The transformation of the Coliseum, including the sports complex and associated parking,” the developers’ report states, “is … essential if the New York Islanders are to remain.

“In order to absorb the cost of this transformation, it is necessary to develop the remainder of the components of the Lighthouse. Thus, if the Lighthouse is not approved and developed in a manner that can financially support the transformation of the Coliseum, the New York Islanders will leave this venue.”

The Islanders’ lease at antiquated Nassau Coliseum, the third-oldest — and smallest — arena in the NHL, expires in 2015. But Wang last week said that an agreement he made with the county in 2007 to renovate the arena and develop the area around it includes language that gives the team an out.

Wang has received offers from politicians in Queens and Brooklyn to facilitate a move to those boroughs, and the Islanders are scheduled to play preseason games next September in Kansas City’s Sprint Center and in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, where they will be spending part of their training camp.

Wang, in an interview with Newsday last week, said: “If we don’t build this, shame on us. This is something that has to be done. If we can’t, you tell me no. It’s OK. I mean, really, we’ll go where we’re loved.”

Nassau County loses between $1 million and $2 million a year on the upkeep of the Coliseum, and Wang has said he loses about $20 million a year operating the Islanders.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #19
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

3 billion?
Old 03-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #20
cuervo72
Head Coach

$3B? Really? I can't imagine there's any way the Islanders are worth that much to NYC.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #21
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
$3B? Really? I can't imagine there's any way the Islanders are worth that much to NYC.

Agreed. That's a ridiculously tough pill to swallow for a public project in this economy. Even if he were to come back and say it's only $2-2.5 billion, I'm guessing everyone would just laugh.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #22
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Article about how the Chiefs and Royals could be moving soon, so hockey might be a necessity. Apparently the city is considering violating an agreement that would let both teams out of their leases.

Sanders Worried About Losing Chiefs, Royals - Money News Story - KMBC Kansas City
Old 03-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #23
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Article about how the Chiefs and Royals could be moving soon, so hockey might be a necessity. Apparently the city is considering violating an agreement that would let both teams out of their leases.

Sanders Worried About Losing Chiefs, Royals - Money News Story - KMBC Kansas City

LOL. Yeah, that article makes it seem a lot more likely than it really is. Both of them just got beautiful new overhauls of their stadiums. They'll get something worked out in the end. This actually happens on a pretty regular basis. They play chicken for a few weeks when the new city budget is set and end up negotiating something out behind closed doors.

There's obviously a huge difference between requesting $2M that's mandated by a contract and asking for $3B for a new stadium development.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-06-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #24
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I agree, but in this day and age (see Sonics) having "free-agent" teams would worry me. Hopefully this is just brinksmanship.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #25
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Agreed. That's a ridiculously tough pill to swallow for a public project in this economy. Even if he were to come back and say it's only $2-2.5 billion, I'm guessing everyone would just laugh.

I'm pretty sure much or all of the $3BB is coming out of Wang's pocket... what he needs from the government is merely regulatory approvals.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #26
boberot
High School Varsity

Mizzou, I don't think of "booming economy" when I think of KC -- do you think a NHL franchise could succeed there?

Especially in the financial mess we find ourselves in now?
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #27
Galaxy
Coordinator

I love how sports teams use hold taxpayers hostage (and we are talking hundreds of millions and billions of dollars). I know businesses get tax breaks and all that, but they'll bring jobs and dollars to the local economy.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #28
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post
Mizzou, I don't think of "booming economy" when I think of KC -- do you think a NHL franchise could succeed there?

Kansas City is one of the fastest growing cities in the nation. The metro area is adding 30,000 people a year. The growth is actually increasing even during the current economic times. A house in KC will cost you 30-40% of what the exact same home would cost you on the East/West coast. Price of living is very low. This city puts 17-18K people/night on average into Kauffman Stadium for 82 games for a team that is below average at best over the last 5 years.

Do I think a city with those numbers that is full of transplants from St. Louis, Minneapolis and Chicago could pull 15-17K a night for 41 home dates? Without question.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #29
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

That's because we have a freakin' idiot for a mayor. He proposed cutting the $1.7 million maintenance payment the city has to make on the stadiums. The idiotic thing is if they city doesn't make the payment, it breaks the lease and is on the hook for any cost overruns on the rehab projects, plus the teams are allowed to relocate which would mean losing tens of millions in revenue and taxes. Idiot. Thankfully, the vote on the mayor's budget will be 12-1 against and the City Council will restore the funding. The moment I head about this I knew it would get tied it with getting a team for the Sprint Center by the national people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post

We're not booming but we're not shrinking like other places. I don't think we have any problem supporting an NHL team during normal times. I have some concerns about supporting a third team in today's environment. But I still want it to happen. The good news is that the "new" factor could help the team in the shortrun despite the economy and by the time the the honeymoon is over the economy should be back on track. And that's assuming the Islanders relocated for next season.

Regarding the Islanders deal in NY, That $3 billion is for an overall redevelopment, not just the arena. Sounds like upgrade the arena there isn't much of a deal if the area surrounding it isn't upgraded too. Not so much different from our Power & Light District redevelopment which included the new arena.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #30
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Regarding the Islanders deal in NY, That $3 billion is for an overall redevelopment, not just the arena. Sounds like upgrade the arena there isn't much of a deal if the area surrounding it isn't upgraded too. Not so much different from our Power & Light District redevelopment which included the new arena.

Correct. The amusing part is that we have a good example of a similar deal gone wrong just down I-70. Part of the lynchpin to move forward with the New Busch Stadium in St. Louis was that the Baseball Village development with stores and commercial space would have to be part of that deal. They agreed to do it and built the stadium. The problem was that the primary commercial tenant then backed out of their commitment and the Baseball Village was never built. As a result, they have a monsterous hole in the ground where the Old Busch Stadium used to be right next to the new stadium. It's a glowing reminder every time you're downtown in St. Louis of $300M in new development that never happened.

I'm glad that KC did their development the right way. Downtown is so much nicer now as a result.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #31
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
That's because we have a freakin' idiot for a mayor. He proposed cutting the $1.7 million maintenance payment the city has to make on the stadiums. The idiotic thing is if they city doesn't make the payment, it breaks the lease and is on the hook for any cost overruns on the rehab projects, plus the teams are allowed to relocate which would mean losing tens of millions in revenue and taxes. Idiot. Thankfully, the vote on the mayor's budget will be 12-1 against and the City Council will restore the funding. The moment I head about this I knew it would get tied it with getting a team for the Sprint Center by the national people.

We're not booming but we're not shrinking like other places. I don't think we have any problem supporting an NHL team during normal times. I have some concerns about supporting a third team in today's environment. But I still want it to happen. The good news is that the "new" factor could help the team in the shortrun despite the economy and by the time the the honeymoon is over the economy should be back on track. And that's assuming the Islanders relocated for next season.

Does KC has enough corporate support?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #32
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

They boast a decent number of corporate HQs: Hallmark, H&R Block, Tons of architecture firms and an especially large concentration in sports stuff (odds are your local arena/stadium was designed by someone in KC), AMC Theaters, Sprint, Applebee's, and some pretty substantial technology companies like Garmin, Embarq, and Cerner.

That said, they don't seem to have a huge visible corporate presence. Of course, Sprint's name is already on the Sprint Center even without a tennant but Kauffman and Arrowhead have never been offered up for naming rights.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-06-2009 at 09:53 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #33
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Does KC has enough corporate support?

The Sprint Center suites are sold out right now even without a primary tenant, mostly which are corporations who have purchased the suites expecting a NHL/NBA team in the near future. There's also a waiting list for those premium suites. If a NHL team made KC their home, they'd walk into a situation where the premium seats for all of their events are guaranteed to be sold out. I'd say that's good enough support from the big-wigs.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #34
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here's a pretty good summary of the obstacles involved with the Islanders and their arena. IMO, doesn't seem like these are situations that can't be resolved. We'll see how it pans out.

Shining a light on the Lighthouse plan -- Newsday.com
Old 03-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #35
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Here's a pretty good summary of the obstacles involved with the Islanders and their arena. IMO, doesn't seem like these are situations that can't be resolved. We'll see how it pans out.

Shining a light on the Lighthouse plan -- Newsday.com

No offense but you said the same thing about Pittsburgh. And Mario was even quoted as saying they used KC completely for leverage and never was going to move the team there.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #36
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
No offense but you said the same thing about Pittsburgh. And Mario was even quoted as saying they used KC completely for leverage and never was going to move the team there.

I'm confused. My post said that they should be able to resolve the differences (the double negative may have thrown you off). That's much different than my stance regarding Pittsburgh.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #37
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm confused. My post said that they should be able to resolve the differences (the double negative may have thrown you off). That's much different than my stance regarding Pittsburgh.

I'm just pointing out that you are headed down the same path as you did during the Pittsburgh/KC debate. You pointed out obstacles that the Penguins were not going to be able to over come and it was clear in your mind that the team would be in KC.

I have no qualms having a team in Kansas City, if it has half the excitement for a team that you say it does, that's awesome. But I'm looking at it from the NHL's point of view. I really think if the NHL is going to have hockey in Kansas City it is either going to be one of the Sun Belt teams...Phoenix or Florida...or (god forbid) expansion. I can't see them moving the Islander out of NY.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #38
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I'm just pointing out that you are headed down the same path as you did during the Pittsburgh/KC debate. You pointed out obstacles that the Penguins were not going to be able to over come and it was clear in your mind that the team would be in KC.

Again, I'm confused. I've stated that I think that the Islanders will resolve those issues and not move. I'm actually going down the clear opposite path from the previous situation.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #39
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I'm retarded and can't read...sorry.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 03-10-2009 at 08:11 AM.